Acquirred Henry Lever Rifle In .41 Magnum

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by watcherchris, Oct 19, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    To match my Blackhawk pistol in .41 Magnum..I purchased another Henry rifle in the same calibration.

And in like manner I have taken it out to my garage and cleaned it ....before applying a thin coating of this Dow Corning M55 silicone O-ring grease as a moisture barrier.

Also cycled ten rounds of my .41 magnum reloads....through it just to check the loading and ejection properties of this rifle...as did I in my previous purchase of the Henry .38 Special/.357 Magnum rifle.

No hang ups ...or problems in the loading and ejection of this rifle as well.

This rifle however seems to be just a bit more stiff than the .38 Special/.357 Magnum rifle. I think both rifles will loosen up in time and usage. It is just newly manufactured stiffness.

Do not know when I will get time to shoot both of them but I will figure it out with this work schedule.

This .41 Magnum has a full length 20 inch barrel ..versus the 16.5 inch carbine barrel on the .38 Special/.357 Magnum rifle previously purchased.

Both are blued steel rifles..no bling for me.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good one Chris, matching calibers always a good idea.
    Keith.

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The 41 mag was and is the best of all worlds as far as stopping power that is controllable. The 44mag has more power but fallow up shots are problematic for most people. It was designed and intended to be the ultimate round for the police. Unfortunately it had two problems. the WORD magnum caused problems with how it was perceived by idiots in the media and the cops didn't like the weight of the N frame handguns that you needed for this much power. A lot of them whined about the recoil too but that is stupidity. I've known some that think that the 357 mag kicks and my daughter has been shooting my 357 mag since she was 6 or 7.

I would assume that the 41 mag in a rifle would also be a near perfect balance in power and recoil. The only down side for the 41 mag is that for people that don't reload it doesn't have a down size little brother like the 357 and 44 mags have.

4. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    You got that right Texdanm,.

There is no .41 Special as there is a .38 Special or .44 Special.

People have downloaded the .41 Magnum but one must be very careful in doing this and select the correct powder and primers for this downloading. It is very easy to get a "Squib" load..one with not enough power to get the bullet to go down the barrel....danger, danger, danger. Or even unsatisfactory ignition....again a squib load.

I tried to download using H110 but come to find out before I took it too far...H110 works best with full loads...not reduced loads. I got several rounds with clearly enough power to just get the bullet out of the barrel. I checked this out with a fiberglass rod to stick down the barrel...no bullet in there. I was lucky. This taught me a very important lesson in reloading...;for less power...recoil. Danger danger danger. Choose your powder type very carefully if you are going to download/downpower significantly.

Thanks

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

5. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Keith,
    I have been thinking along this line of operation for a number of years now...but only of recent have conditions fallen in to place where it was possible to carry this to fruition.

Now I want eventually to get a barrel in .41 Magnum for my Thompson Contender single shot pistol...but no hurry on this.

I am also thinking along the line of a better ...more rugged reliable air rifle...in a workable caliber..say.. .22 or .25 caliber.

I do not want precharged/bottle type....but prefer a pump or one of those break type...

Need to learn about spare parts here too.

NO hurry on this as well.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Try unique powder. I used it for a lot of light load 38 and 357 mags with no problems. You know it was originally a 410 shotgun powder. You should be able to get some slightly subsonic load with cast simiwadcutter bullets with that powder. I know I had some target loads that were around 750 fps that were super accurate and a delight to shoot.

I used 110 a lot. It goes through a powder measure really well but I never tried to light load with it. I used it for aproxamate factory loads and then went to 2400 for oh holy $hit hot loads in my Rugers or N frames S&Ws.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Were I living my life over again and were I afforded more time to dedicate to hobbies this and that. Were this ... Were that ...

The .41 magnum I would pursue with a gusto. What a lever / revolver combo!

I found some articles.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/handgun_reviews_st_myfavmag_201008/99129#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drYZ-KkdXB4

.41 Long Colt is an old cartridge not much seen
    https://www.chuckhawks.com/41_LC.htm

.41 Colt videos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHoFabVupi4
    Thunderer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVEyUqzfaLM