Addictions

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by Damorale, Jun 4, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    It makes sense that in order to be prepared for anything, you shouldn't allow yourself to be suffering from addictions at the point of an emergency as most addictions won't be feasible in a survival situation. So I was wondering if anyone here has any addictions right now? Smoking, drinking, gambling, gaming, the internet, sex, drugs, money, painkillers... I never judge someone for their addictions, we've all had them and it's not like you wake up one day and think "I'm going to get addicted to something today, I think that's a great idea!"

So there's no judgment here, only a gentle reminder that though your addictions may be manageable now, perhaps you might consider dealing with them sooner rather than later, as it would be awful to be suffering withdrawal symptoms for an addiction whilst trying to survive a doomsday scenario.

2. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Addictions are sometimes hard to avoid in survival situations. In my case, I was addicted to just about any drug you could imagine while traveling. I was lucky enough to be able to put drugs down when needed. I never felt a "need" for drugs, but more so enjoyed them as I traveled along. I won't touch the stuff now, but I could see how someone could have an addiction develop into something unmanageable. I would think that alcohol would be a tough addiction to deal with while trying to survive. Some drugs allow you to have a somewhat clear head, but being drunk is going to end badly.

3. lucidcuber

lucidcuber New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    This has crossed my mind too, and I am glad I don't have addictions to tobacco or alcohol. I do keep some rolling tobacco in my stash as potential currency though. I've often wondered whether other people having addictions would make them weaker or angrier in that situation.

I think even adjusting to less pleasant foodstuffs will be hard though.

4. barbecueIt

barbecueIt New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't have any addition (thank goodness) but I like living comfortably and for sure a time will come when the type of living that I like will be gone I'll be a little bit depressed. I can say that I have become too dependent on my current comfortable way of living. Does this count as an addiction? I've thought about this and camping may help me overcome this dependency.

5. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I think most people are addicted to something, it may not be a substance/drug. But as addictions can make someone waste valuable time it certainly is wise to fight the addiction and overcome it. That way you'll never be distracted. Withdrawals can make it hard to survive as there are people who'll do virtually anything to get "a fix." Trade something of value [like food] for drugs and the wrong people could know that you have something they could steal.

6. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Having an addiction would be more a burden to you and most likely stop you from achieving what you need to achieve. In case you do have an addiction at a time of apocalypse, I do not think that you will have much time to think and spend too much time with your addiction as in terms of pre-apocalypse. Your thoughts should be on surviving and not finding your next "hit" or "drag" or "sip" or whatever it is...
    There are always exceptions. Some might think smoking weed will help them become more aware of their surroundings. Yes, it might relax you a bit but can also make you paranoid about your surroundings, no matter if you are alone or hanging with a group.
    An addiction to alcohol is definitely harder to overcome because of the side effects but it does not mean it is not doable.
    I believe you can overcome any kind of addiction. You just have to make sure to focus on what matters most: your survival over your pleasure.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    a lot of people I see have an addiction to "coffee to go", whilst in good times this is nothing but post SHTF without their caffeine kick they may well be suffering.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have not experienced any addiction except for food. But seriously, I can understand addiction because my husband used to be a heavy smoker. He couldn't last an hour without a smoke otherwise his mood will turn for the worse. Being deprived of nicotine makes the smoker irritable as a result of the craving.

But in a survival mode, I don't think the addiction will be a big factor. If there is the dire need for food, water and shelter, maybe the smoker's focus will be diverted to the situation which is needing action. From what I have observed, smokers only smoke when they have nothing to do. But when their hands are busy then they forget to smoke. On the other hand, they need a smoke when they are concentrating on something like doing a puzzle or thinking of what to write. And although in survival mode you have to think, it is the action that is required more. I am only talking about addiction to smoking. I can't say the same with alcoholics and drug addicts.

9. cecejailer

cecejailer New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I agree with this, addictions are a big setback when it comes to life and death situations, and you have to be able to put drugs down when you have to. I'm a stoner and thankfully marijuana isn't addictive enough for me not to be able to quit (I did before and I don't really crave it or can't live without it) but let's picture someone doing heroin in the middle of nowhere: the person is so sedated they might not even see a bear coming, and obviously they wouldn't be capable of defending themselves. People love to take psychedelics in the wild but I would never consider this as I think it can lead to a lot of trouble (drowning, falling, anything.)

10. shcoo

shcoo New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    This is a very good point. Going through withdrawals from drugs or alcohol in the wilderness is one of the worst hells I can imagine, even with the knowledge the person would survive it in the end. I think it would be good to start detoxing and start eating the diet you will be preparing for yourself in the wild before you actually detach and leave. Wean your body into the new way.

11. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I agree dealing with addiction is the last thing you need. It will already be challenging enough dealing with "doomsday". Being prepared should be about making things as easy for you as possible. Addictions can also effect your decision making and that's the worst thing about it.

12. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Well most addictions are psychological, so I think those would go pretty much out of the window in a survival situation. Sure they might come back to haunt you once you find yourself with time to just sit around and think... especially then since you might not have anything to do and then it would be ohh so lovely to have that cigarette/alcohol/drugs/whatever to make the time go by.

13. Deathisue

Deathisue New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    The addictions are something serious, they can consume us and they are very difficult to avoid, it requires a lot of help and composure to overcome such ills, because all addiction is bad, you just have to realize what takes from you and what can give you, to realize if is worth.

14. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I have one addiction and that is smoking. I know I should put that down but I'm too weak right now. But in a survival situation I think I'd be able to handle it. Sure I'd have withdrawal but I already experienced it so I know what happens. With a big alcohol problem it would be more dangerous not to have your dose, because that can be fatal.

15. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I have no addiction except for using the internet always whether on smartphone or laptop. It's something that I would miss in case the internet will no longer available during survival period.