Advanced Prepping Includes A List Of "safe" Places To Hide.

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Sourdough, Aug 23, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    You do have a list of "SAFE" places to hide...........yes/no ???

randyt, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    What's on your places to HIDE "List" today........???

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    No list written down or anything, but I know some good spots around Northern Florida. My "list" today is just a to do list being held up by the current torrential downpour outside lol. I have an intermittent no start(cranks fine) I need to diagnose and I am in the market for a 22 pistol. Preferably something that can shoot 22 lr and subsonic 22 shorts. So far, it seems only revolvers are fitting the bill.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I am hoping for suggestions of safe places to hide. I think the most "UN'safe place would be a house or apartment, or any structure intended for human habitation.

Caribou, randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Ahhh, most of my places are deep in the swamps or deep woods. There are no tracks or trails. You either know them or find them. Given our disparate locations, I doubt my spots would help you lol. In backwoods Alaska, wouldn't you just find or build your own hides?

Caribou likes this.
  6. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    I am constantly surprised by the fact that most people do not look UP.

More than a few times, I have observed not only animals but people who have no idea that I am bowhunting from a treestand right above them.

As a lone female in the woods, I am particularly sensitive to staying safe from two and four-legged predators. A tree may not be a long-term bugout safe space, but I have avoided detection by drunks with guns (AKA weekend warriors) in the deer woods by remaining in my tree stand instead of climbing down for lunch break and traipsing through the woods when other hunters are doing the same. (This was a particular problem at one of my old hunting spots that I no longer hunt in.) They pass right through my area and have no idea I am there, lol.

Also, I have often hiked with groups, and not ONE of the seasoned hikers ever look upwards into the trees. There have been countless times where I have seen critters high in the trees that escaped their notice until I pointed them out.

But that may be only good for temporary refuge unless you have a very small structure very high up in a large evergreen tree.

Another good place for temporary (maybe permanent?) concealment: a big mess of briars! One time, when a truckload of the above mentioned weekend warriors saw me on the way to my truck after a hunt, they attempted to intercept me. I ran back into the thick woods and crawled into a wall of blackberry briars. Yes, it hurt! but they never found me, and would not likely look for a human in that mess.

There is a reason why rabbits are successful in evading coyotes and such by doing the same. Some briar patches are big enough to build a small shelter in.

Caribou, Blitz, Alaskajohn and 3 others like this.
  7. Miskondukt

Miskondukt Active Member
      40/58

Blog Posts:
    Tis is why I'm looking at them tree tents

8. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

Well, I'll be...

I didn't know about tree tents! I like this, a LOT.

If I got one, I would want to figure out how to keep bears and mountain lions out of my space!

Hmm... make removable spiked collars for the tree trunk? Make sure the tree is not jumpable from other trees?

What? How?

9. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon all,

Ref: "Suggestions of safe places to hide";

1 example is a half NM offshore on a raft or rigid inflatable in a large body of water.

Most do not look offshore. Plus, when/if the trees are burning, on water it's safer.

10. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Grizz,

Multiple language "No Trespassing" signs around tree tent ?

11. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Sarcasm? The signs would draw too much attention. As for "looking up" have a big snake land on you just one time and you will learn that lesson lol

12. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    LOL, I have been too long out of the water. Took me almost a whole minute to remember NM meant nautical mile lol.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Urinate around the tree trunks. That will keep many animals away. Unfortunately it will make hunting harder too lol. The spikes are an interesting idea but might draw the attention of humans frequenting the area.

Caribou likes this.
  14. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    GOOD.........we are now going in a better direction. Lets also list options for "Urban" environments.

Flat roof of commercial buildings.
    Hidden rooms behind master bedroom closet.
    Hidden room above garage, up in the rafters.
    Large culverts.
    Hidden room in the back of a box truck, with the part near the door full of junk.

Looking for places to hide including if you are on the run, and places you can build before the SHTF.

I have a large observation platform that is 17 feet above ground that has shooting lanes to three of my main buildings. If the SHTF and I was forced to retreat to a cache site, I could return to the hidden platform and monitor any activity at my main buildings.

I started this thread, because I spent most of yesterday figuring where to build the next observation platform to observe my largest cache.

Having thermal optics is a valuable tool.

15. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    OP's are great things to have. Do you have ways to communicate from the OP to your main base? Personally, I would like to have some of the old sound powered communications we used on the ship.

16. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I am building a hidden cave structure, super insulated, and next to a pure water creek. One issue for me is how to stay hidden when there is snow on the ground. I learned long ago never to check on, or even wander near cache sites when leaving foot prints in the snow.

The reason for super insulating the hidden cave building is to be able to heat is with only body warmth, and also to stay hidden for others with thermal vision tools.

17. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Is it a short term event (hours) or a semi - short term (weeks) or long term (months or years). Urban, suburban or rural locations. Lots of options depending on the location and the duration.

Caribou and Sonofliberty like this.
  18. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Agreed with duration and type of event being my 2 main determining factors as to what actions I will consider. IE occupying a deserted building or some apparently deserted land area. As for real desperation, the Bahamas has lots of unoccupied islands. I'm just saying.

19. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon all,

Ref the original theme:
    - hiding places
    - that are safe;

I had started to scribble some notes on some "safe" locations in metro San Francisco, metro Thunder Bay and metro New York City. My immediate concern is to address "SAFE".

Think of a public emergency shelter anywhere. Think of a highway rest area during an emergency or a long holiday weekend.

A key word governing my thoughts on "safety" is disease.

An emergency, let alone a disaster means supersaturation of people - some with pets. Please be assured a large percentage did not have an annual flu shot. The pet could have rabies. I know, I know, there are animal licensing laws.

For an urban area, recommend, if realistic, to gravitate to areas with less people.

20. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    A "SAFE" place by that very concept requires a place devoid of other unknown people. Safe does not mean hiding among the herd. A safe place may include family but will not include strangers, or even co-workers. If yo do not live with them, you do not know them. As LW has stated --- Stranger Danger. Every environment has safe places, you just have to know where and how to access.

Caribou likes this.
  21. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Keep this simple.......I live in the wilderness of Alaska. However once or twice a year I go to a massive sewer of humanity called Anchorage, AK for resupplies, Mostly food and building materials.

So I am interested in ideas of places to HIDE for urban to wilderness. Please list as many places as you can think of, that may be good for hiding.

Think also about thermal vision. People think there are many-many-many places they can hide. But remember you have to pee and poop, easy in the woods, not so easy living in the attic.

I have many books on survival........but the book "WITHOUT RULE of LAW" which he devoted a fair amount of pages to hiding, caused me to realize that hiding, is the single most important part of survival.

22. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I think safe places or hiding spots have more to do with your skill sets than it does with locations. For example, one of my local elementary schools (rural WV) a few years back, didn't have a security system and had left entry door keys lying around to freely. A homeless man was caught actually living in the ceiling crawl space of the school. He had been living there over 2 years without being detected. He had cooked food in the school, gotten a small mattress and sleeping bag up in the crawl space, he watched TV of the evenings and used the schools computers. He told Law Enforcement after being caught, that he always made sure to either be gone before the staff began to show up for work or to be quiet when people were under him. He also stated that he went to the local truck stop for a shower when he had money from handyman jobs in the area. He never stole anything, except some food, from the school and always cleaned up after himself, even during summer break.

The only reason this guy got caught was the school was having some of it's technology updated and new wiring had to be run. The maintenance crew found his hide out and notified the local sheriff dept.

My point is, that with the proper noise, light and litter discipline you can hide (at least for a while) almost anywhere. Apply these same principles to a private structure after a SHTF event and how long could you live, unnoticed?

Just a thought.

Dale

23. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I would only put those spikes near my tree stand/tent. Not where anyone could see them, or else it would defeat my purpose to stay hidden.

I learned long ago that sometimes human girl pee works similarly to commercial doe pee!!! :eek:

24. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Every suburban and urban environment has millions of hiding spaces, all you really need is a good set of lock picks and the knowledge on how to use them. Roof top mechanical rooms, electrical distribution rooms, fire sprinkler rooms, basement mechanical rooms. Once the grid is down, nobody is going to be looking in these rooms. Abandoned schools (Dale post) also make great hiding places, if they DO NOT Have Solar panels. Do not try and hide in locations with solar power or even look like it has solar power.

Caribou and Miskondukt like this.
  25. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    LOL, that could be a real problem.

26. Miskondukt

Miskondukt Active Member
      40/58

Blog Posts:
    Just had my lockpicks delivered, amazon cheapies for now. Buying a few locks this wknd to toy with while I hide from the heat.

27. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    OK..........But I don't want to be looking for a place to hide after the SHTF. I may open a door, and get gut shot by the person who before me found it.

That is why I want a list if places, that I have already inspected. When things go bat'spit crazy and people are shooting at any noise or shadow, is not when I along with thousands of others want to be looking for a hide.

I not only want to find or build hiding places, I want to actually live in them for a week, to see what issues arise.

Also going to want to have a cache of food near the hide. Not going to do any good to have a hide, but still have to expose yourself looking for food and supplies with millions of others.

28. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Well, here in Central Florida, any good places have already been locked down due to the high homeless population. They don't seem to like the swamps though.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  29. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In my opinion, no where is absolutely safe unless you make it so, even then any place can be breached with the right equipment. My safe place is my home in the forest. It is as safe as any other home at present without my going to extremes. If/when it all hits the fan, I have plans to increase security & protection, but right now it would not be practicle.
    If we had to leave our houses in the forest, then of course we would move further into the forest, but I think we have more chance of survival staying where we are behind strong stockades than hiding out in the woods.
    Not far away on top of a hill there is a very large open topped cement water tank that would require a ladder to access. The tank is empty & piped to my corner paddock. Easy to see, but it could afford some protection for someone if needed.
    Keith.

30. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Sourdough,

Had thought that humanity sewer was called "Los Anchorage".

You get your supplies at a store but without some basic details, it's difficult to develop suggestions. Did you arrive at the big town on a snow mobile w/ trailer ? A pickup truck ? A boat ? In volume, what size load would you be returning with ? No need to suggest hiding out at places that you can't readily evac from.

I forgot where your base is; remember you're near a former Air Force Station, .. and without some basic info can't plot out potential enroute sites.

Much is subject to "discussion" re author's principle that hiding is the most important aspect of survival. I'm from the school of thought that the most important aspect of survival is to keep the protoplasm working along with some decent vital signs.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  31. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    If you don't own it and live in it, then it is not a safe place. Temp visitation is a hit and miss deal. You maybe the first in or become the uninvited trespasser. 3 story or 2 story commercial buildings offer some unique hiding and storage places. Locked out (de-energized) elevators offer great cache location, if you know how to lower the elevator and open the doors. I picked 3 story because they are hydraulic, thus easy to lower. Over 3 stories high and you get into the cable system and it is more difficult to lower the elevator. Almost all commercial building will be a source of water. Any Place you can think of that will be safe and where you can test out, will most likely be already occupied by the homeless.

32. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Either-or-both Eley & Remington make target (subsonic) .22 ammunition specifically for semi-auto handguns & rifles.

I've seen it advertised; not finding it right now.

Just looking at Eley target .22 LR for semi-auto handguns. Their ammo produces velocities at 1020 ft/sec.

I don't believe that you'll ever have much success with a .22 short out of a semi-auto handgun. You'll need case length due to magazine to chamber dimensions. Tube-fed .22 LR semi-auto rifles will sometimes to well with shorts ... but not the box magazine type semi-auto rifles.

Another permutation with which to experiment is the use of 50 gr subsonics as opposed to the 40 grainers. The reason being that the energy levels may be equal, however the momentum of the greater bullet weight may add to the reliability of cycling the handgun's action. Worth a try.

I've had my Ruger target pistol for decades and love the thing (7 1/2 inch bull barrel; custom target grips). I have not however done experimentation with subsonic loads.

This is really important: The newest Ruger semi-auto handguns have a take-down mechanism that is INFINITELY easier to use than the older semi-auto handguns like mine. Reassembling my Ruger is a royal pain, however over the years / decades, we owners learn the tricks of lining up the parts to accomplish this without undue cursing.

1. Ystranc
      Before handguns were restricted in the UK my boss had a very nice 1911 Colt clone in .22lr that cycled very well with 40 grain subsonics. It had been threaded for a vented muzzle break (for humane dispatch) but would just as easily take a 1/2" unf threaded sound moderator. Apparently a sound moderator increases the back pressure a little and this can help semi automatic pistols cycle better.

Ystranc, Mar 13, 2021
  33. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I notice over and over a strong reluctance to offer tangible suggestions. Saying there are "Millions" of places to hide is not much value when your on the run with thousands of other desperate people wanting to stay alive.

Now Keith H. suggestion about the concrete water tank is exciting.

Everyone seems to be content with their home and their gun or guns as their best survival location. But with NO firemen or any water, entire cities and towns and maybe even states could be leveled to fire. It is terrifying how much of Alaska get cremated every year.

Caribou and Sonofliberty like this.
  34. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good evening Sourdough,

You're really asking for a specialized route survey.

Yet, the route is not known nor the load complexion. Are you buying 8" X 8" creosote-soaked lumber? temperature-controlled pharma ? Etc . What volume of load do you anticipate buying ?

If in an emergency, fleeing "with thousands" of others, requires some specifics. Alaska is easy enough to call a federal reservation. A displaced population during an emergency activates the public safety and security establishment. There are not many "safe" hideaway locations.

What is the conveyance to return with the supplies ?

Plus, add the mosquitoes in warm weather and the thousands fleeing are infected to some degree. You must avoid this situation.

35. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Sourdough, if your talking Anchorage, there are a few places I noted while visiting. In a TEOTWAWKI scenario a good location for an visitor to the city would have to be the air port. There are any number of rooms in the lower areas and baggage areas that with no employees and security, could do for temporary quarters with water available close by and I'm unsure about food. Another thought would be the any number of hotels and motels in the Anchorage area. When the staff leaves, they will be vacant. A lot would depend on what type SHTF event has occurred. If your using the railroad for transportation, you should have already thought of using side cars for summer time quarters. Not sure if any of the restaurants, museums or other tourist traps would be useful for holing up, until you could head home.

In summer, you could also head for any of the ports and most (if not all) commercial tourist vessels would probably be abandoned. Just a thought.

Winter, I figure, makes all of this a lot more difficult but I doubt your heading to town in the winter dark.

Dale

36. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    Looking up is always a good idea. Around here any Black bears like to rest-in the trees. If it works for them, it ought to work for us. Now getting this crippled up body up and down a tree trunk is a different story

37. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    In Vancouver BC and likely many other areas the blackberry bushes make almost impenetrable thickets to or more feet deepened hundreds of feet long. A little discrete work with some clippers ... and gloves and a good tarp and you have an almost invisible hiding place

38. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

Having taken refuge in one, I am thoroughly convinced that a bramble/briar thicket is an excellent hiding place.

Tarp would not survive at all. I was thinking of using something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntop-...ed-Roof-Panel-in-Castle-Grey-108975/100037754

Prep-ahead idea for an emergency hideaway and/or cache location: build a small structure, using a strip of clear polycarbonate panels as roofing material to admit light. Using the charcoal grey polycarbonate panels for the sides and part of the roof is perfect for winter camouflage which will be needed after the bramble leaves have dropped.

After construction is completed, plant a solid thicket of brambles almost all the way around the structure. Then plant another solid wall of brambles just like the first one several feet away, leaving a small "hole" that can be easily concealed with a few bramble vines pulled over it. The reason for the double layer of brambles is for additional security from prying eyes, in case the bramble growth is thin or stunted in some areas. It will also offer some measure of insulation from climate extremes.

So that the blob of brambles does not stick out like a sore thumb, I would consider planting smaller random patches nearby.

Blackberry vines grow so rapidly, you could easily do this in one growing season.

Of course, this ain't the Hilton Hotel, but it could serve as an alternate emergency hideout and/or cache location.

This idea is so off the wall that the average jackbooted thug would never think to look for anything of value in such a place.

39. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I just thought of something... plant thornless blackberries for the interior layer, lol.

40. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    When I go to Anchorage it is for "ONE" long day. Leave here in the dark and return in the dark.

The goal of this thread was and continues to be........us naming places that others can think about who read this forum years from now or decades from now, as to place they could hide. Also to stimulate careful reflection of current members as to places they might hide.

However it sure seems that most here currently have zero concern and assume their home will be a solid un-penetrable fireproof fort, protecting them and their three to five years of food and water, while 90% of the population suffers and dies.

This forum has a very high percentage of very-very knowledgeable members on the subject of prepping for survival, yet there exists this strange disconnect between how they have positioned themselves. It so reminds me of my fathers classic line, "Do as I say, not as I do".

41. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Many of the briar patches in WV (Blackberry, Raspberry, wineberry, multiflora rose, etc) are also home for Nope Ropes. The kind with fangs. It's always one of the things to be careful about when picking berries. Just something to watch for.

Dale

42. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

I am not so sure of that. I suspect that others, like myself, do not care to reveal their best "hiding places" to others, much less the whole world?

43. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Blackberry vines: food, medicine, and shelter all rolled into one package! (Leaves and roots are medicinal.)

44. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    As I drive anywhere I am always considering temporary hideouts in case I have to come that way back home. I haven’t given a lot of thought to places I can prep in aDvance and hideout several days fully equipped, mostly as temporary on the run. The reality for me personally if I have to bug out permanently, I am screwed due to health and other issues. It is an interesting thought though and I will b3 looking with some different eyes.

I know a few caves and hidey holes but so does everyone else who haunts the bush here. That’s one of the problems of living in or near a community where most everyone hunts and fishes.

In much of this country a debris pile style shelter will hide you from most anything except perhaps infrared/thermal. If there is somebody looking for me with infrared i’m In serious trouble.

45. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Are there snakes there where you are. No snakes in Alaska, well other then the elected snakes.

46. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:

47. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I wish I had a $5 bill for every gallon of berries I've ever picked. I could by a brand new vehicle. LOL! I can remember my granny using the leaves in teas. I wish I could remember everything she taught me.

Dale

48. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    In the immediate area there are non other than some garter snakes. Travel an hour south or so and get out of the inland temperate rain forest, they have rattlesnakes. Further south and to the west through much of the arid interior rattlesnakes become more common

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  49. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    Amen to the granny comment ... I tuned my folks and grandparents out because “ what could old folks know anyway” much to my later shame and chagrin. So much lost. So much disrespect

50. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    It's one of the few things I did as a kid that I don't regret. I listened to my grand parents and mom and dad. If I didn't listen to the parents, I got beat. Soooooo self preservation. Dad taught me a lot (bushcraft, hunt, fish, trap, patience) and mom taught me how to garden, canning, cooking. My grandparents did teach me a lot of the old ways,...the mountain folk ways, Bushcraft, tracking, herbal medicines, etc. The kind of stuff most can only get in books now.

Dale