Advanced Prepping Includes A List Of "safe" Places To Hide.

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Sourdough, Aug 23, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    I listened some and learned a lot, but missed out on so much

2. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    :p

NO sneks allowed

NO BIG KATZ

NO bears allowed. Not even cute Care Bears.

3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

Ref: "naming places ... as to place they could hide";

Yes, indeed, careful reflection on personal places to hide. My prepper philosophy incorporates the view that I could be injured or sick during an evac. I've evac'ed a few times and not only from coastal Virginia. This governs much of my prep such as not considering climbing a deer stand with gear on.

This "outline" starts with Roman Numeral I, the metro Anchorage topographic and development complexion. It's a relatively large city with a relatively large population, both permanent dwellers and transients (Thus think of the inexperienced, the sick, the non-vaccinated). Anchorage has the topographic features associated with ocean ports, airports, railroad, seaplane bases, a lodging industry, a large public sector of buildings and other facilities.

II: Subarctic regions like Anchorage are known for severe weather changes; think snowdrifts and spring flaws as area specific. Don't depend on bridges if/when the public sector is not monitoring and maintaining them.

IIA; I'm omitting the national security complexion of Anchorage and environs. For example, nearby Valdez is OFF LIMITS and will remain so by the public sector. The place is like a large and rich non-bank bank. Well, it is.

III: The former roads northeast and south of Anchorage are now parking lots and waiting room equivalents of hospitals and clinics when thousands flee. End of Roman Numeral III discussion. Which leads to:

IV: Traveling west means dealing with SecDef Donald Rumsfeld's "known unknowns". A mass evacuation means most all areas will have people, ... some with contagious ailments. Some of these same people might not adhere to the rules of society.

Feet Notes:

1. As far as naming some location in the Denai Park, the statistical charts say that there are already trespassers present if there's a mass evacuation. Note the meaning of "XDRTB". To save time: Extremely Drug Resistant Tuberculous.

2. If the weather has the mosquitoes, recall the inherent sister city relationship of Anchorage and Guangzhu (former Canton City), China. Anchorage Airport, prior to the emergency, is a entropot, a gateway to and from other places. Just like misery loves company, so too, do diseases.

3. Evacuations westward of Anchorage involves the human masses . Less so are concerns and research on the personmade structures and topographic features ideal for an enroute way-station.

I'm putting away my Army Signal Corps J-36 telegraph key for now and see what develops on this thread.

4. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Grizz,

Love it !

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if I ever have to leave here, not likely, I have 6 or more places I can relocate to, some temporary, some more permanent, all located and scouted by me in advance.

TMT Tactical and The Innkeeper like this.
  6. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    In Anchorage there are “invisible” homeless everywhere in the open. Depending on what you are hiding from, masquerading as one may be an option.

7. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    I think every community has invisible homeless, far more than many people realize. They range from transients, to youths couch surfing to those who are homeless or inadequately homed due to circumstance, mental health issues or addictions.

Alaskajohn and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Sourdough,

In reply to your "zero relevance" post;

When you learn about diseases and disasters you - might - get the insight from my experiences.

The somewhat related matter is you thinking that you can "hide out" when a disaster is responded to.

The diseased homeless can't explain this to you.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Hiding is a good strategy for some of our members such as those living in ALASKA . For most people this wouldn't be a viable strategy . Those that run likely would return to find their residence looted and all their food and other prepping supplies gone . With only the survival stuff that you are toting left to survive with , most would be in dire straits in a couple of months . Someone trying to copy what they show on most of the survival movies and live wondering around trying to survive with what they have in a backpack will likely find themselves in the crosshairs of someone that stood their ground and are protecting their survival retreat .

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    For many reasons, the art of concealment can a valuable preparedness skill for almost everyone. For example, if you are outnumbered in a home invasion or fleeing your home in the event of criminal arson, having a hiding place to escape can be lifesaving. Hopefully, you would be able to escape without being detected.

There are also a number of other scenarios that would justify such a hiding place for caching supplies as well.

11. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Bump.........Just for discussion, or not.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Interesting post.

For me personally, if I HAD to leave my property, there are a number of disused mine shafts and "ruins" in certain areas, which make for great hiding places. Remembering I'm in a reasonably remote area and would not venture to a city or town.

The mine shafts can be quite challenging to find, some only accessibly by foot and some only accessible via disused tracks, which can be equally difficult to access. I'm not talking about long, drop mines (though if you had the equipment, that would work really well as a hiding place - I wouldn't think many people who would use them), there are a number of mines that you walk into. The added bonus is that these mines are always close to water.

As far as the ruins are concerned, there are many old buildings, once again quite inaccessible in places, which are usually old dilapidated farm buildings that haven't been used for decades. Upon discovering these old gems, there are all sorts of treasures. The majority of these haven't been visited by people for decades as well, as they are in quite remote areas (probably why they are now classified as "ruins".

There's a particular area south of me that we explored some years ago, which used to be a whole town. The town was bought out and the area was consequently used to make a large dam. A lot of the original buildings still stand, including all the old utensils, both inside and out. It is like a museum. No-one is allowed in there though. (Don't ask). :rolleyes:

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  13. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Bump.......because it is a very good subject........Don't know if I mentioned it in this thread, but the book "Without Rule of Law" by: Joe Nobody, he feels this "Being able to hide" is a important survival skill, especially post SHTF environment.

Now with this Coronavirus-19 problem, I am fully obsessed with places to hide. Especially places to hide that allow me to observe my primary cabin. As many on this forum know, I deeply fear getting caught inside my cabin in a post SHTF event, with hungry roving looters.

Foot prints in the snow tell scary tales.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Caribou, TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  14. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    You often say there are no other people where you live.
    Why hide when no one is around?

Looters won't be coming to your location.

Blitz, TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  15. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Space blanket incorporated into a blanket/ghillie suit will protect you from IR scopes and keep you warm.

Old records can be researched to find the location of abandoned mines. To keep a claim going you have to record, at the State Recorder's Office, annually, your minimum legal work and where the claim is.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have never been to Alaska but we have many tv programmes in the UK at the moment about Alaska, I don't see it as somewhere your ordinary person would choose to bug out to, too harsh for most people, most would be dead within a few months.

17. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    That was my initial thought too. Not that I know the country well but just from shows on the TV. As you say, seems too harsh for your average Joe.

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  18. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Maybe the safest place to be in a serious SHTF event is, where nearly everyone thinks life is too harsh, and they would likely fail to survive. Has always been my thinking that the single greatest danger is other humans.......and not the harshness of the location.

TMT Tactical, Blitz and lonewolf like this.
    1. Blitz
      I am totally with you regarding the single greatest danger being other humans. I just didn't think they would venture into such harsh terrain, especially with children. I guess anything can happen in a post SHTF scenario though. It's certainly not somewhere I would want to live given the harsh environment.

Blitz, Apr 11, 2020
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that makes a lot of sense, if one can survive in that environment, I don't think I could.
    I have always thought the greatest danger wherever one is will be other people, generally why I avoid them like the plague.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  20. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lonewolf,

My view also. The greatest danger anywhere is other people.

TMT Tactical, lonewolf and Sourdough like this.
  21. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    People regularly visit Alaska with some romantic idea about living in the wild. they don't have the necessary skills nor do they even have a clue what those skills are. Some of them actually survive. Some die so Hollywood makes a movie that portrays them as a brave adventurer that had bad luck. Next we get a new string of idiots. Wish they would make a movie about how stupid they are. Perhaps that would save lives.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
    1. Blitz
      "Some die so Hollywood makes a movie that portrays them as a brave adventurer that had bad luck. Next we get a new string of idiots. Wish they would make a movie about how stupid they are."

Hahahahaha! Your post made my day!

Blitz, Apr 11, 2020
      TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, Alaska looks lovely in the summer months on the tv programmes, but the long winter months would be a killer for people without the skills or knowledge to survive.
    I don't like cold weather, neither do I like it too hot, which is why I live where I do in a nice comfortable mild climate.

Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  23. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't know what you call temperate lonewolf. Even round Devon is a bit too cold for my liking!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    its not too bad, we probably get a bit more rain than most but we have a lot longer growing season than say someone who lives in the North of England.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.