Air Compressor

Discussion in 'Ladies Section' started by Radar, Aug 13, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Why would I need one? I have one and will probably get rid of it.
    If you had one, what would you use it for?
    Is it something you wish you had?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well I could certainly use one at present for blowing out a carby on our 4WD Lada, but other than that, no I have no use for one.
    Keith.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Mine gets most of its use blowing up rafting tubes for visiting guests, a nearby river is great for a relaxing float with your butt in the water on a hot summer day. Not really a survival use in that, unless it's saving me from having a heart attack trying to blow them up by mouth :)

There is this however

af061e2a5b84e7d3bdc22c0d0ec29e5b.jpeg

for boarding up the windows in a hurry.

CountryGuy, Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Inflating tires and powering tools are what I use mine for the most, along with cleaning things by blowing off dirt and debris.

They can also be used to move liquids with the proper set up.

CountryGuy and Radar like this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I actually have three or four of them. I air up tires and blow the dust out of my shop with the big one and then the small ones go to the job to power all sorts of tools like air nailers, staplers, small grinders, and air files. My wife uses one for her airbrush and pain guns. Then there are the little ones that you can plug into a cigarette lighter plug on your car and air up a low tire on the road. It sucks to have a flat and then find that your spare tire is low on air after being ignored for several years. The small ones go on vacation with me to air up air mattresses and water floats for the kids. I also keep the kid's balls and such inflated at home.

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  6. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for responses. Someone did tell me "I" would need to blow out the carburetor on my little tractor, possibly. I would probably ask a friend to show me how to do that. I'm a disaster on tools.
    Recently had a flat tire too. This air compressor is a beast and I won't be taking it anywhere or in the house.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I use mine to pump tires, blow out circuits on carbs and when I build things it is a god sent item to run a nail gun. My elbow cant take swinging a hammer like it used to when I was younger. The last time I built a deck with a hammer my elbow hurt for 6 months after. Not exaggerating at all.

8. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have one and air nailers, air grinders and a air cutoff tool. You can also use a compressor to skin many animals, including deer, coyotes, etc. They are also used for skinning alligators, so probably would work on snakes and fish. I also use mine for spray painting, even airbrushing.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  9. LastOutlaw

510/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was a mechanic everything ran off of compressed air. Today not so much. They all use those rechargeable battery operated tools now.

10. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    I would definitely keep it! So many good uses, as you are learning in this thread. Put it on a wheeled platform. You can make one easily by screwing swiveled wheels underneath a simple but solid homemade wooden deck.

Radar, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    It has wheels. I had no idea it was used for so many things.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. LastOutlaw

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Potato gun

Radar, TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have three shops and have a compressor for each. They are endlessly useful.

TMT Tactical, Dalewick and Radar like this.
  14. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    oh wow, nice. It sounds like the storm troopers and Han Solo are having some back and forth

LastOutlaw and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    There are lots of 12 volt compressors that will inflate a tire but they tend to be slow.
    If you have a large compressor at home you can have "portable" air with one of these.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/11-gallon-portable-air-tank-65595.html
    7aed1edddf1f171fa8a82b83fd06aff9.jpeg

16. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a beautiful compressor . i use it to blow out the pipes when i winterize my place up north. it is very important to have 4.8CFM@40PS. this is volume if you do not have this you can not effectively blow out the lines. it is also great with pneumatic tools, like air nailer, air drills, air cutting tools, paint sprayers , or ever just using the air gun to clean up stuff .

• Mastercraft 5 Gallon Air Compressor features 135 max PSI, 1.5 running HP and is oil free for less maintenance
    • Metal control panel with two metal case gauges, two quick couplers for each operation
    • Reinforced handle to well protect the pump/motor from damage
    • Metal air filter for durabilty
    • 4.8CFM@40PSI, 3.5CFM@90PSI
    • 5-gallon twin stack provide stable air flow
    • 1.5 running HP induction motor
    • Oil free for less maintenance
    • Working pressure: 105-135psi
    • Product Dimensions: 18 x 15.7 x 20.6" (45.5 x 40 x 52.5 cm)
    • Net weight: 51.3 lbs (23.30 kg)

17. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Radar: I will unabashedly weigh in on your side. I know there are many uses for a compressor, but I am not particularly mechanically inclined. I am not going to build anything. I might use one to pump up a tire, but 'knock on wood' I haven't had to do that since I can't remember when. I won't run any tools from it. I'm not going to clean anything up with it. I don't have to worry about a carburetor on anything.

Since you have it as long as it isn't in the way, keep it. Someday maybe, someone will find a need for it. I don't have one, and I have no intention of getting one. See how long it sits without being touched. Maybe then you can reassess your need.

18. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, @Morgan101
    I think I used it once and was cautioned sharply because I was doing something incorrect.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  19. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Simple note to compressor users that have air tanks --- either attached or filled. Compressed air is warm to hot an when it cools in the storage tank, moisture will form in the tank. The water does need to be drained out from time to time.

Sonofliberty, Radar and Dalewick like this.
  20. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I use a air compressor often and have several
    here is what I use them for but not limited too, most of this has been posted
    running air tools and air sprayers
    airing up tires
    blowing out waterlines for winterizaton
    pressure checking waterlines prior to drywall
    pressure checking drain lines prior to drywall
    pressurizing a sand blaster
    pressure checking gas piping
    pressure for a waste oil burner
    blowing out crud from misc, maybe a electric motor bell or some such, intake screens etc.
    there's probably other things but the above comes to mind

21. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I use cordless tools for building. Add solar and extra batteries.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Radar like this.