Air Conditioning Affects Climate Change

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Pragmatist, Jul 20, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49049238

Good afternoon all,

The above BBC link just taught me some matters I would have never guessed at.

Air conditioning affects climate change. I wonder if BBC turned off their AC during warm times so as to save the planet.

National Weather Service Omaha teaches a survivalist - and frugal - approach to baking biscuits. I remember that song "Pass the biscuits please.". Forgot her name but liked her singing. An "outpost" in Omaha ?! It's not a small place.

Metals get hotter in heat waves. I must ask BBC if metals get colder in Victoria Land, Antarctica.

Those soybean farmers do have USDA crop insurance. I wonder if heat waves are covered.

BBC is like America's NPR: disguised unemployment for the unemployable.

Radar, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Interesting article, though I knew some of this already. Other things I had not even thought of.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Keith.

3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    It comes from the BBC, so what's not to believe.

4. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    oh the man made climate change myth.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    We call that "Summer".
    We are on day 25 of temps at 90 or above.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The uterus wanders.
    http://www.drlindseyfitzharris.com/2017/04/28/the-wandering-womb-female-hysteria-through-the-ages/

Ozone-attacking refrigerant gases were banned decades ago. Industry used chemicals that would make the ozone-depleting refrigerants look totally benign. I worked one such place and we used drums of the ozone-killing chemicals. That has all stopped.

If you don't like fossil fuels, then we can go nuclear power. All other solutions are regional, minimal in impact, and at best, make-do. I love wind and ocean turbines. Wow, isn't solar power great! But they just do NOT cut it. Most people haven't a clue as to how much power it takes to run our civilization. Think nuclear bombs going off daily -- that is how much energy we are talking about. The United States goes through mountains of coal, literally. Travel to West Virginia and witness mountains that have actually been chopped-off. And oh by the way, France has gone nuclear power -- if they are not a crew of hand-wringers, I don't know who is.

For the one thousandth time, I'm gonna say: Humans can only contribute a very small percentage of any cause-list of things resulting in Earth's atmosphere / Earth's ocean temperatures rising. Increased solar radiation getting on into Earth's central latitudes is number one and it is number one BIG-TIME. Earth's magnetic lines of flux are weakening, plus there are other geophysical causes. We humans can help, however our contribution is just totally insufficient compared to solar system thingies. We are ants ... if that.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    THAT was about the stupidest thing that I have ever read. The thing about the HFCs used in AC systems is first off a total lie and secondly, air conditioners do NOT release that when they are operating. It is contained in the sealed system and if it leaks out the system stops working. Even the CFC that they banned was not a real problem. This was all part of the endoftheworld because of the holes in the ozone layer that never was bullshit! It was the Chlorine in the CFC that was an issue BUT the CFC was a stable blend so the chlorine was not free to bond with ozone. The HFC just replaces the Chlorine with Hydrogen. An Airconditioner does not create heat. Now does it create cold? It simply moves heat from inside the house to the outside... The same from refrigerators and freezers. COLD is simply a lack of heat. You have flashLIGHTS because the light is a real thing but there are no flashDARKS... same thing... cold is just NO HEAT... I am a licensed HVAC tech...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    For preppers, build a rainwater harvesting system that I call my "Roof washing" systems, to avoid code issues for fire sprinkler systems. Run CPVC Piping across the ridge lines of your roof. Install un-fused fire sprinkler heads every 8 to ten feet (depending on the typical wind speed --- the higher the wind speed, the closer the heads need to be). During a hot day, pump harvested rain water up to and out the sprinkler heads, this will soak your roof and the evaporation process will cool your home. The water runs down your roof (majority of it) into the gutter and is collected and channeled back into the Rain water harvesting tanks. This system requires less energy than an A/C unit (fewer solar panels and batteries) and it also increases your roofs fire resistance (think Molotov cocktails). Note: this does not qualify as a a roof fire sprinkler system, so it will not reduce your fire insurance but it will serve you very well and should keep the building inspector a bay.

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we don't have air conditioning here.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL, If you had the temperatures in the summer that we have here you would be getting some. On the flip side of things, it isn't uncommon for older houses here to not have heating. I generally heat my home with a little space heater most days and seldom use the central unit. People that live in cooler climates just can't imagine how hot it is when the temperature gets around 100 F / 38 C with 100% humidity. The airconditioning doesn't just reduce the temperature it lowers the humidity also.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we have a cast iron heater that heats the whole house, apart from a convector fire in the hall which is only turned on in the coldest days that is our only heating. we do not heat the bedroom.
    we recently had hot weather of around 100F, that is exceptional for my location, the 10 hottest summers in the UK since records began in the late 1800s has been since 2002, so something is happening.

TMT Tactical likes this.