Air Gun For Protection And Hunting

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Corzhens, Jul 13, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I know of several hunters who use air gun when they are hunting birds. But sometimes they chance upon big prey like wild boar and the air gun is not that potent but still can subdue the big prey. What’s good in the air gun is that it doesn’t need a license. And even if you meet rebels in the mountain, they have the tendency to ignore you because it is obvious that you are a hunter and not an enemy. But the air gun with the CO2 tank is preferred because they give more power to the gun. And in short distances, the air gun can be fatal as evidenced by the wild boar shot by the hunters.

2. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    Spring or CO2 should be similar power but CO2 is more accurate because it doesn't jump when the spring extends.
    There is an alternative to pre charged CO2 and that is a pump up air rifle. Pump it 2 or 3 times and it's charged with air.
    Air rifles in the UK are limited to 12foot/Lbs which is quite low. American air rifles seem to have a much better specification.
    I have seen American specification air rifles actually being used to kill wild boar piglets with a head shot but I wouldn't reccomend it at all.

3. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Lewis and Clark had air guns they used to hunt deer there are air guns pcp air guns that they can take game as big as Buffalo with 177 cal up to 50 cal

4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Most common air-rifles max out at squirrels and head shots on rabbits. As far as protection I wouldn't even try that. It would mostly just make them VERY VERY angry. Bringing an air gun to a gun fight would be worse than bringing a knife. At least a knife can disable someone. The only way that I would shoot a boar with a pellet gun would be from way up in a BIG tree. I have seen the 50 cal air rifles that ARE potent enough to hunt big game but a good deer rifle costs less and is a lot faster to load and fire over time.

The ones used by the Lewis and Clark expedition required something like 1500 strokes to charge it but that would let you fire it 30 times. It was actually used as a military weapon. by Austria from 1780 to 1815. It was a lot faster than the muzzle loaders for 30 rounds, didn't make a smoke that gave away your position and was fairly quiet. The down side was that it was fairly delicate and any tiny hole in the reservoir took it totally out of commission. You can buy a 50 caliber air rifle today for $600.00 to $700.00.

http://www.topairgun.com/50-cal-air-rifles

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  5. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I have a PCP that will put down deer and hogs at 50 yard and it a 22 Cal I get about 68 full power shots out of it

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I tend towards the lower end air guns. About the most that I will spend on one is $150.00. That one is a spring piston that puts out a 177 at around 1200 fps and is great for birds, pests, tree rats, bunnies and such but is mostly used to shoot holes in cans from 25 to 50 yards. LOL, I can hit a soda can about half the time at 50 yards with a Red Rider. It allow me to keep my eye sharp and is fun to do with my kids and Grandkid. For survival my favorite is a Crossman pneumatic pump up 177 cal air pistol that will shoot pellets or BBs. Great for birds, frogs and lizards. Silent and very accurate out to about 25 yards.