Airline Medical Kit Article

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by Pragmatist, Oct 9, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon all,

I'm not linking the article because, although "free", it requires registration with the New York Slimes. It is available though. Titled "Shortages Leave Some Flights Without Required Drugs", it's by Roni Caryn Rabin and dated 5 Oct 19 as per my pulp copy.

The article tells of some RX medicines that should prove of interest to forum members. This is not "basic" first aid but believe this location is better than the forum's "Other advanced survival skills".

Article tells of Epinephrine (adrenaline) and atropine.

An excerpt: "It is the exemption for epinephrine that is most troubling to physicians. Food allergies are increasingly common. ... "

If signing up for the NYT is not a concern, the article is worth studying.

GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Epinephrine has been on my wishlist for a couple decades, I remember seeing it for just a couple dollars in multidose vials in years past - but a medical license required to purchase it of course.

The idiot-proof autoinjectors (like Epi-Pen) are ridiculously expensive, and require a prescription. I heard there was a push in recent years to sell pre-filled syringes with the correct dosage for treating anaphylaxis, a quick search shows there are a few sites selling those, but again a medical license required.

The best way for preppers, were it an option, would be to buy a multidose vial at the appropriate concentration (eg, https://www.shopmedvet.com/product/103612) and keep it in the frig. Pre-fill syringes yourself from it, and keep them in the FAKs, glovebox, purse, etc, where they'd be good for a year (or more). Each year replace the ones in the kits from the vial in the frig. That $18 vial at the link is enough to make over 150 adult dosages, and with proper storage would be good for 3-4 (possibly more) years.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Gate Crasher,

Appreciate this info.

Sometimes going through one's health care provider can be both prudent and cost-effective.

Admittedly, I did have "problems" trying to stockpile a couple of auto injector syringes for snakebite events.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Hi Pragmatist. True on discussing it with your Dr and getting a script for a couple Epi-Pens, although some may question the need if you have no history of allergic reactions. Sadly I've been unable to source the multidose vials even from overseas pharmacies, which would be my preferred solution given the cost per dose. I recall reading that epinephrine is a precursor chemical in the manufacture of some illegal drugs which may be the reason for stricter controls on it.

The reason it's high on my wishlist, beyond the usual bee sting or food allergy causes of anaphylaxis in a SHTF situation, was as a precaution in the event of drug allergies in our group. Penicillin being an obvious one, but we also keep some tetanus antitoxin just in case. It's the old school variety, derived from equine origin like they used prior to the 1960's (or so), and severe reactions to it were not uncommon.

5342108fce480877633f69659903323e.jpeg

The tetanus antitoxin is also recommended for snakebites, depending on the length of time from the last tetanus vaccination. The antitoxin not to be confused with tetanus toxoid (the tetanus vaccination), the antitoxin provides passive immunity to tetanus for only 7-14 days. If no better option exists, feed stores often sell it for less than $3 a vial.

TMT Tactical likes this.