Alaska Questions......answers Maybe Available.

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by Sourdough, Feb 5, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    If you have questions about Alaska, a few members here may be able to answer some of them for you.
    I think that most people have flawed understanding about Alaska, some are just funny and some are kind'a sad. Most questions require answers that are not easy, simple, short, and in general are hard to pin down with a short concise answer.
    An example of how big Alaska is: Of the 50 states that comprise USA, Alaska is the most northern state, also the most western state, also the most eastern state. Did I mention that it is BIG....???

The Innkeeper and Alaskajohn like this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    We fought the japanese in Alaska and when I say we I mean US Marines.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Not sure which war you are referencing. I hope it is not WW-II

4. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    Yeah ww2 it was actually islands of the coast of alaska

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The only part of the US that Japan actually seized was in Alaska. this led to the Aleutian Campaign and the only actual combat fought on any part of the North American Continent. If you look at a globe rather than a map you quickly will see why the Aleutian Islands were important to Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleutian_Islands_Campaign

6. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    My good friend, employer and neighbor, Col. Marvin "Muktuk" Marston, led the Aleutian Campaign.

He never spoke of U.S. Marines. The U.S. Navy yes. It is a great study, if anyone is interested in that type stuff, at least two very good books on the subject.

Now that I think about it, I think maybe the Marines tried, and had to fall back and get extracted by the Navy. It was the Alaska Territorial Guard, that was formed in 1942' to woop'ass the invaders. It was near totally made up of Alaska Natives and Eskimos.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The marine involvement in the Aleutian Campaign was limited to the marine detachments attached to the various shipped involved. They were no doubt attached to Army units for the battles. This was a major battle with the largest bonsai charge ever recorded. There were thousands of casualties and the Japanese fought almost to the last man. in the end there were less than 30 prisoners taken with no officers taken. It didn't get the atention because this battle was happening at about the same time as Guadalcanal.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  8. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    Marines had turned in there ammo to board ship the next morning when the Japanese came down and attacked them Marines fought back with e tools k bars bayonets and rifles a clubs some Marines had there arms cut off with swords and kept fighting

9. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    The Navy's infantry are Marines they have seals that only do specialized warfare and swcc boat teams other than that corpman are the only ones on the beach.

10. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Those Japanese there were hard men, and many died of the weather. They were well dug'in when the ATG arrived, I think in the final battle they ran out of ammo. Only a few of the over 300 surrendered, most died in battle or fell on their swords. The weather out there is horrific. The Japanese were not prepared for the weather, and I think they were also low on food.