Alternative Communication Ideas

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by ziskasun, Jun 15, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I am curious what Ideas you have about alternative forms of communication. If/when cell phones and /or internet is down, how many of you have other forms of communication? I think of things like ham or CB radio, but what else is there? Do any of you use these or other forms of alternative communication ?

2. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I posit that without cell phones and internet communication, people would revert to the old methods of sending physical and written mail. Where I come from, there are many motorbikes. If one wants to send communication to someone, it would be easy to hand them a note to drop it at the appropriate address in no time. Courier services though quite a little bit expensive, would become handy in such situations. Not to mention an increase in radio broadcasts.

3. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think writing letter and sending them through a "postman" would help the most. Listening to the radio would help to know what is going on. What about walkie talkies?
    They might be handy but they would have to be chargeable while you are travelling/wandering around.

4. evergreen

evergreen Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm assuming when the SHTF that cell phones will be down, or under control by the military. I used to work at a cellular provider and I can share that after 9/11 they signed an agreement with the government giving airway priority in a national crisis to government/military meaning civilians can and will be kicked off the network should the military need it. So trust me, never assume your cell phone will work. It may power on, but your cell provider may kick you off.

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Carrier pidgeons are not out of the question. If certain circumstances were in place, this might be what you need to use. I don't know a lot about them, but I know they were used in war time. I saw some advertised recently and was tempted to buy one.

6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Walkie talkies mirrors flashlights whistles

7. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Depending on distance and absence of resources I would seek a natural alternative.
    Smoke signals can be used as well as specific markings on certain path ways.
    There are many clever ways to communicate it depends on who the communicators are.

8. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Smoke signals lol tell others where you are. Smh. Smoke from a fire is a sure way to give away your location

9. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Walkie talkies with rechargeable batteries used right are a fantastic way to stay in contact with your group the small amout of power can be made easy with a solar panel may take abit longer

10. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Morse code was used in war time, and a lot of people still know how to communicate with it, so there's that. But Morse code and other forms of cryptolanguage are more for espionage than survival, unless you are in a situation where normally speaking wouldn't be plausible. I guess the old fashioned way is the best; letters for long distance, a megaphone would be a good choice if you need to broadcast something to people nearby instantly, and the simple word of mouth isn't out of the equation when it comes to forms of communication in the event technology gives out on us.

11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have yet to work out who I am supposed to be communicating with post SHTF.
    I have both electric and wind up radios so I can listen in to announcements but I wont be communicating with anyone post SHTF, I will be hunkering down and keeping shtumm.

12. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    If the grid was down and there is no electronics to be used, then I would go for carrier pigeons or physical hand written mail. If you guys haven't seen the movie The Postman starring Kevin Costner, you should go see it. It is a post apocalyptic scenario where there is no power. It was all physical and hand written letters delivered by postman.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    on horseback!!! like the Pony Express or the old English mail riders.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    nice idea, but the mail could get intercepted and opened, your location could be at risk.

15. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I think that post apocalypse the only people you may have to communicate with are your neighbors. As you won't even know if the people you are trying to communicate with might be in the last place they lived or if they even are alive, there'd be no need to make an attempt to communicate with them. If you are lucky you might meet again. If you aren't then you'll have to make new friends wherever you are.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    post apocalypse you will be on your own or with immediate family if your lucky. get used to it, the sooner one realises that the better off they will be.

John Snort likes this.