Alternatives to Activated Charcoal

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by harper, Jun 18, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. harper

harper Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Imagine you are stuck in a foreign land, or in the deepest corners of a dark forest and you begin to feel this discomfort in your stomach. Let's say you ate some wild berries or fruits a few minutes prior and your stomach is now beginning to act up. Puking the bad feeling out could help; unfortunately, you don't have any access to activated charcoal. Can you name some alternative medicines that can induce vomiting, or make your stomach feel better after experiencing symptoms of food poisoning?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    The only thing that comes to mind is mint tea and Epson salts. Both can sooth the stomach if upset, but wont induce vomiting. The only way that I know that you can induce vomiting is putting your fingers down your throat. It isn't the nicest feelings but if the situation arises then it's the only way.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Sticking your fingers down your throat is an obvious option but since everyone doesn't have a gag reflex, that wouldn't work for everyone. I'm not sure what could induce vomiting but peppermint is known to help with an upset stomach. Whenever I feel nauseous, I make some peppermint tea and it helps quite a bit. I'm not sure if normal mint would have the same effect or not.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Apple Cider Vinegar (dilute with water)

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    a alternative to activated charcoal is charcoal from a campfire.about a powdered up tablespoon in a cup of water. It will not induce vomiting but will bind the poison and pass it through.

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Salt in excessive amounts works well. A vet told me to do it to my dog one time when she had found my wife's chocolate Easter egg stash. You know, chocolate can be poison to dogs. Even a glass of water salted to the point of saturation would probably do it.

https://www.medguidance.com/thread/How-to-Induce-Vomiting.html

TMT Tactical and GateCrasher like this.
  7. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    3% hydrogen peroxide works for dogs or cats, 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of weight, but not more than 3 tablespoons no matter how large. Or said differently, 1 milliliter per pound, not to exceed 45ml. I keep it in our first-aid kits, in a re-purposed "5 hour energy" bottle which holds 50 milliliters. Started keeping it after our puppy ate a good chunk of a wild mushroom, it worked (she vomited) within just a couple minutes.

Probably safe for people too, just make sure it's the 3% variety: https://www.poison.org/articles/2012-jun/hydrogen-peroxide

There's a long list of toxic / poisonous substances you wouldn't want to induce vomiting with of course. Attached is a guideline from 2005 for when to, and when not to, induce vomiting depending on the poison and whether you can get to a hospital quickly or not.

Attached Files:

8. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Tickling the back of your throat works well (if you can gag) and a surfeit of water dilutes any toxins and can make you vomit. It will certainly speed things through your system. If however, you've ingested a deadly toxin (hemlock) nought will save you.

TMT Tactical likes this.