Animal Instinct

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by poltiregist, May 31, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Have you developed your animal instinct ? I know this sounds like something out of Star Wars or Forrest Gump but hunters may sense
    the presence of their quarry . Tunnel Rats in Nam claimed to sense the enemy lurking hidden in the dark in the underground tunnels . The military gives or gave their troops classes on this . Women seem to key in on a male's thoughts quickly . I know a women whose ability to read my thoughts to be uncanny .Unfortunately I don't know anyone that can turn this instinct on and off like a light switch . Do you think this is fact or fiction ?

2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Fact but hard to understand or develop. Pay attention to that tingly feeling.

3. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    I call it intuition, and it is super strong with me. Saved my life more than a few times. It's hard to describe but think of it as situational awareness on steroids. (Not paranoia by any means.)

However, there have been times that I let my guard down, either by fatigue or simply rushing too much...and suffered consequences.

When my daughter was growing up, I think she was convinced that I had eyes in the back of my head, lol. I just call it mommy-vision.

A "bee in an opium poppy field" I am not, lol.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  4. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    100% FACTUAL.

The true accounts I could tell you, that were witnessed by other people.......are not graspable. Not even graspable by myself, and it happened to me. I believe it because, I can't "Not" believe it, yet it is still not graspable.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    poltiregist, Radar, Keith H. and 2 others like this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There is an "awareness" that you can develop over time with practice that allows you to sense things that you would have normally overlooked.

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with the "ungraspable" , there is more to this than meets the eye. You may have a strong feeling of danger, but it never eventuates. But that does not mean that the feeling was not true. Much depends on your mind, what you believe, & being a natural part of your environment. I was walking one time lost in thought & nearly came a cropper, I could have been injured or even killed, but a Raven stopped me just in time. Now are you the sort of person who can believe that another species of wild animal would actually physically do something to save a human animal, or any other species of animal for that matter? You see what I mean about there being more than meets the eye.
    I can't answer for those that live in the city, my senses are shot to hell in a city! But where I live in the forest, I am a part of my environment.
    Keith.

7. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    It's part of us all. Some develop it while other suppress it. It can be taught or at least it can be helped to be developed.

8. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I believe......Because I have had many far more wild communications from animals. I don't even try to understand it. I just know that it happens, and it is not believable while it is happening. But, it still happens and I want it to stop, but it is not stoppable, while it is happening. What is strange is I can tell the animal knows what it is doing.

I have a feeling that location on Earth is a influencer. My most ungraspable, but undeniable events happened in the North-West part of the South Island of New Zealand.

9. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Most important topic ! "Most" = most. It is the most important topic governing all else.

I don't call it "animal instinct" and other terms - although it is - . We are delving into anthropology, psychology and certain fields of philosophy. Unfortunately, our society saturates us with Aristotelian logic. I call this fallacy.

Our society is pushed to learn about melting old blue sea ice for drinking water and steered away from learning about the human psyche. Many other example abound.

Somewhere on forum, I posted a WSJ article on brain's development not being programmed for high-order investment decisions because of reasons of anthropology and our species' evolution.

"He learns what a human being does when he suddenly realizes he has 'nothing to lose except his ridiculously naked life'. ... First to the rescue comes a cold detached curiosity concerning one's fate." ... "To live is to suffer, to suffer is to find meaning in the suffering. ... ... ". This quote is from psych prof Gordon Allport in intro to book "Man's Search For Meaning" by Viktor E. Frankle, M.D., a psychiatrist who was in a Nazi concentration camp.

Above book has Frankle quoting Nietzsche: "He who has a why to live can bear with almost any HOW".

So, if no blue sea ice to melt for drinking, ... others had this problem and got through situation....because they had the background understanding.

Keith;

During WWII in Pacific, I read of stories of downed aviators in life rafts using paddles to chase away porpoises pushing the life raft toward an island. The island was Japanese-occupied and thus more of a danger to the aviators - but the marine mammals did the best job they could.

I read news accounts where crawl-able age baby wanders away from mother in apartment building and left outside in cold. A couple of puppies cuddled around baby for warmth. Child survived.

Knowing about the use of Aristotelian logic clarifies why much of US society does not work as it should.

An excellent and timely topic, Poltiregist !

Meanwhile, instead of melting old blue sea ice, I'd rather watch the whales while having a cafe latte and some apple bread - or a WaWa coffee and nothing until breakfast. I do miss that restaurant in Bay St Louis, Mississippi.

10. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Hyper vigilance can also be linked to having lived through long periods of stress or danger, I watch expressions, probably because of my childhood. Watching other people and catching that extra couple of seconds eye contact without the corresponding beginnings of a smile or recognition is enough to put me on edge, I'm good at placing people or telling when they're out of place.
    The ones that sometimes manage to fool me are the ones that smile and lie at the same time, (personality disorder types) apart from these people I can almost always tell when someone lies or try's to manipulate me in person or over the phone.
    On the internet it can be more difficult to tell when someone has ill intent. In an artificial world of archived information, cut and paste, stolen images and lonely/greedy/horny victims who are not as tech savvy as they could be we are vulnerable to manipulation because we are unable to distinguish any of the subtle "tells" of a liar or predator.
    Please don't be offended when I tell you that I often seek independent verification of things that other forum members say, I enjoy building a case against the liars like Billa and Ken S. LaTrans. When on the web the only ways to spot them is by pattern recognition of their behaviour and independent verification of truth or lie.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  11. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    the raven is a powerful totem.

12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    situational awareness when out and about, be aware of what is going on around you, I used to "people watch" when I lived in a city, it interesting what you can see, most people haven't got a clue what is going on around them, either face down on a phone screen or wondering what they are going to give the other half for tea.
    as for the internet, trolls aren't that clever they soon give themselves away, trip themselves up contradicting something they said earlier, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.
    its easy for me, I trust no one.

Radar, TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  13. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I ran point for a long time in the marine corp if I said we were not going into a place we did not go. we never took a hit when I ran point I can not say that about others and to this day I still do what the voice in my head tells me to do one time in Michigan I was pumping gas voice told me to get down for cover and tice I seen a red Dot on the pump don't know if it was on a gun or just a light pointer but I stopped pumping got low in my truck and left.

Radar, pacmantacman, Caribou and 2 others like this.
  14. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I do studies of Alaska animals, most revolve around "how" they find food. The Raven is always messing up the studies.....always. The Raven is so much smarter then the other animals. The Raven will find food that I have hidden and covered with debris (a lot of debris) this food is intended to only be found by animals that primarily hunt by smell, and not sight.

The Raven will get that food, and I think it does it because it has learned that bears cover their food with debris to keep birds from accessing it. I think the Raven see a pile of debris that appears "out of place" and then moves the debris to see what is hidden.
    Then the S.O.B. "Ravens" laugh at me, from a near branch knowing they are smarter then silly human thingie.

Morgan101, Radar, Caribou and 4 others like this.
  15. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When we start getting into intelligence we are getting into a mixed soup of ideas. Just as there are smart humans & some humans who are not so smart, I believe there are other animal species who are the same. Like in humans, it is not necessarily a species thing, but an individual thing. After cyclone Tracey in 74, my dog constructed herself a bathing pool using the pile of broken timbers & a tarpaulin. She also put out a grass fire using the garden hose. That I think was the first time I had ever noticed another animal species doing something that I considered out of the ordinary for that particular animal to be doing.

The Raven? I don't know, did it know me? Or was it just doing this for another animal? Parrots asking me for food? Perhaps they had previously been fed by someone else somewhere else. Scrub Wrens fetching me to tell me there is a snake close-by, a scrub wren in my house sitting on my writing pad whilst I am writing! They visit with me when I am out, perhaps they visit with other animal species too. I can't explain it, except that I too have always spoken to other animals. I speak to the roos I come across, these are by no means of the imagination tame, but some allow me to get close when they know I am there, others are a little shy & others still take off as soon as they see me.

For me, I think it is all about being a part of my forest environment, I know I have a natural place in it, I am just another animal in the forest & I think other animals sense that. I use other animals as an early warning system, I know their habits & I know when they are on alert or feel threatened. Just like when we were talking about that 6th sense, & Bishop's mention of places not feeling right, I too often fail to see or hear what has scared another animal, but I believe there was a reason, & I pay attention & follow through on the warning just the same. A completely quiet forest is also something to pay attention to.
    Oh & that scrub wren on my writing pad, it also signed the letter! I had to circle it's signature & explain it to the letter recipient!!!
    Keith.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    One of the things that I used to do was walk at night with my eyes closed. Pretty quickly I started to notice that I could walk in the middle of the street indefinitely with my eyes closed and never get far from the middle. The streets have crowns so the water will run off and I became aware of it. I later found that I could do much the same in a pitch dark woods. I would find a game trail and it is the opposite of the street because the animals cause their trails to wear down. I eventually got so that even with no moon and just starlight that I could run and between the awareness of the trail under my feet and what little I could see and hear that I had a good awareness of the woods around me and the trail.

If you close off other senses and concentrate on what individual senses are telling you it is amazing what you can learn to pick up. Smells will tell you when you are approaching water and I got so that I could smell a clearing as I approached one. The plants that grow in the shade are and smell different from the ones that grow in more open sunshine. Day or night there is a distinct difference. Listening closely you learn the sounds of the woods and what they mean. some birds get quiet when a predator or threatening presence enters their area. On the other hand, some of the birds and animals will scold intruders. If you learn the song of the forest it will tell you a lot about what is going on. In general, if you will settle down and be still after about 30 minutes the "song" will return to what it was before you disturbed the peace.

A lot of the time, after you have become well adapted to an environment you will start getting feelings. These feelings are when your subconscious puts together several things that you may not have noted consciously had nonetheless tripped and awareness. It sometimes may seem like precognition but it is more the result of a honed situational awareness that is actually sharpest when you don't think about it. When you ride a bicycle you don't do well trying to THINK lean left and lean right when trying to learn to balance.

It is "animal" instinct because you don't need or want to think about it a lot. Many people do it all the time but then ignore their feelings because they don't understand or trust those feelings. People that learn these feelings under duress or through forced dealing and use learn to recognize it. Soldiers, Hunters that hunt dangerous game, Cops, Good Criminals Etc, all get to see fast what ignoring these feelings will do to you. those that survive pay better attention in the future.

When you start doing this you stop questioning it. You often don't have a clue how you "knew" something but you did know that if you have a bad feeling about something you don't do it without taking a lot of precautions. Bishop knows exactly what I am talking about.

Keith H., TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  17. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Tex Dan,

You've got good info above when placed in context. However, ... remember that the thread's initial question starts with "Have you developed (Repeat: developed) your animal instinct?".

The is a major difference between "natural" like you write about, and "normal", what we do to - - - develop - - - traits such as obtaining information and knowledge in a forest. "Natural" and "normal" are not the same.

Think of walking in a forest with 2 babies. Think of sitting in a car - or chariot or dug out canoe - at a highway rest area or older equivalents with 4 young children. When a human "develops" something, it is not "natural" but "normal" ,using skills we now catalog in the file folders of eg anthropology, psychology and sociology.

What furthers the protection and furtherance of the human species ?

Human civilization, as we know it, is not natural.

18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You kind of lost me there Pragmatist??? Most people are born with certain natural abilities but they are only vestigial if you don't develop them. In the world today learning the songs of the forest isn't a normal thing that most people do. Most people aren't even truly aware of the everyday urban world that they live in.

The original question was about people developing their animal instincts. To me, the way that you develop something is by adding to it and improving on a basic smaller ability. A child can throw things almost as soon as they get their early developed abilities but if they wish to further develop that into a true skill they have to practice it and learn from others the special techniques to make it even better. I was born able to see, hear, smell, feel and taste. that is both normal and natural. I wanted to polish these from normal abilities to more developed skills.

I mostly did this by isolating my different senses and learning to recognize the things that were always there but had gone unnoticed. People tend to mostly depend on sight and will often ignore the other information that is available from the other senses. I learned to recognize the sounds and smells and small changes in the air and understand what these things meant.

Even with sight though most people look but don't really know how to see. They can walk through the woods looking for animals and not see them because when you are looking you have an art idea of what they will look like. The buck deer went unseen because you were looking for a deer that was standing broadside to you. The crouched deer that was facing right at you didn't match that shape so went unnoticed. Learning to SEE takes practice to develop. For one thing, you learn not to define a shape in your mind and rather try to just SEE what is there. This is a lot harder than you would think.

My abilities are natural but no longer normal for most people today but native Americans understood it and for them, I wouldn't be odd at all. I am not as well adapted where I live now as I was to where I was raised and lived most of my life until I was in my late 30s. Life and family filled my time and I don't have the time to wander and learn as much as I did there. Every forest has a different song and it takes time to learn it. just knowing that this song exists though makes you ahead of the game if you will try to learn from it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Dan,

Your last para clarifies all: "but no longer normal for most people today...".

That is what I was rambling about.

You're way ahead of the survival game and a few of the other active participants here. Our "civilization" does not easily allow for the development of all this.

20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In many ways, I had a rather unique childhood...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. pacmantacman

pacmantacman Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    A very complex subject, of which I could say a lot. I will try and make just a couple short points.

First most of what people pick up on at a subconscious level, is consciously observable, and could be by another more experienced person be articulated as a reasonable suspicion based on articulable factors vs just a feeling.

So in that sense YES it can be developed and to a very high degree. To include something as subtle as anomalies in atmospherics. Which can be one of a multitude of factors that induces the feeling.

With that said sometimes small insignificant things can trigger a feeling that is linked to a previous experience. So the body is preparing for a worse case scenario for a version of the future that is unlikely to happen.

On the other hand to tell just one story I was once elk hunting and hiking through so every tall sage brush, after leaving a kill we had just butchered. I was alone and in the dark. I stopped suddenly, and turned to face my attacker, but there was nothing. I was definitely in Cougar territory and having just left a kill it wasn’t improbable. I was convinced enough that I moved away without exposing my back until I gained a lot of distance even though I had no proof or any real indicator there was a threat. Other than the fact that I absolutely do not spook easily.

Radar likes this.