New Member Another Shipwrecked Survivor Of The Capsized Forum

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Yenix, Feb 24, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Yenix

Yenix Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    Hello everyone from the Czech Republic. I came here joining Grizlyette Adams and others from the abandoned, sinking forum, hopefully bringing some useful information from the other side of the big lake.

2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA

Yenix and Alaskajohn like this.
  3. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Yay!!! You're here! Glad you swam ashore...come sit by our fire; I know you will like it here. We are looking forward to your posts!

4. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to here.
    Sourdough

Yenix, Alaskajohn and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Howdy and greetings from the Heart of Texas!! The more the merrier.

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to this forum Yenix, good to have you onboard.
    Keith.

7. Yenix

Yenix Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah. Took some time, as I was in Kyrgyzstan, but finally here. And brought some marshmallows! Btw., it is not very common to roast sausages above the fire in the US, is it?

Alaskajohn and GrizzlyetteAdams like this.
  8. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Marshmallows, mmm! Sausages...mmm! mmm! yeah!

Some people in the USA enjoy hotdogs/frankfurters over a campfire. Myself, I prefer a good Cajun andouille sausage along with other goodies on a kabob, similar to this: https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/cajun-chicken-sausage-kebabs/

Note: the Cajun andouille sausage is TOTALLY different than the traditional French andouille sausage from France. (The old world French kind is an assault to the senses, in my not-so-humble opinion!)

Yenix, TMT Tactical and Alaskajohn like this.
  9. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the forum! I look forward to your posts!

Yenix and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from Missouri. Good to have you with us, and glad you found us.

Yenix and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. Yenix

Yenix Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    Well, I promise I try this one in the summer. But what to do without Cajun sausages? :(

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    You could substitute with a good quality Kielbasa sausage or try one of these recipes. It is a bit of work, but a life-changing gastronomical delight!

http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/meats/pork32.htm

Andouille Sausage -- 5 (12-inch) links; prep time 6 hours

INGREDIENTS:

• 5 pounds pork butt
    • 1/2 pound pork fat
    • 1/2 cup garlic, chopped
    • 1/4 cup cracked black peppercorns
    • 2 tbsps cayenne pepper
    • 1 tbsp dry thyme
    • 2 tbsps salt
    • 6 feet beef middle casing (see butcher or specialty shop)
    METHOD:
    Cube pork butt into 1 1/2-inch cubes. Using a meat grinder with four, 1/4-inch holes in the grinding plate, grind pork and pork fat. If you do not have a grinding plate this size, I suggest hand cutting the pork butt into 1/4-inch square pieces. Place ground pork in a large mixing bowl and blend in all remaining ingredients. Once well blended, stuff meat into casings in 1-foot links, using the sausage attachment on your meat grinder. Tie both ends of the sausage securely using heavy gauge twine. In your home style smoker, smoke andouille at 175-200 degrees F for approximately 4-5 hours. The andouille may then be frozen and used for seasoning gumbos, white or red beans, pastas or grilling as an hors d'oeuvre.

Here is another one:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/14/andouille-sausage-recipe/

Here is a quoted excerpt from the link:

"Andouille is a cornerstone to many great New Orleans & Louisiana dishes, so you really need a good one! I would rather use a good quality Kielbasa, than a cut rate Andouille. The better the Andouille, the better the dish!

I used a nice fatty, 5# boston butt, trimmed of tough connective tissue. Fat is good for sausage, especially Andouille. You want about 75% lean/25% fat. Here I hand chopped half of the meat into 1/4 inch pieces for texture, and ground the rest."

Andouille Sausage Recipe

5# Pork (I prefer a Boston Butt) Trimmed of tough connective tissue and cut into 2 inch cubes.

Combine the following in a bowl:
    2 tsp of Cayenne or to taste (Remember, if you make it too hot, every dish you make with it will be too hot! Start off with a little, you can add more after you taste the finished seasoning)
    1 Tbsp Paprika
    1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Garlic
    1/8 Cup Fresh Ground Black Pepper
    3 Tbsp Kosher salt
    1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme leaves, chopped
    1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
    1 healthy pinch Cure #1 (1 tsp. of “cure” per 5# of meat)
    1/2 Cup Ice Water

Toss this mixture with the meat, making sure it is well coated. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 days.

**Note – Prague Powder#1 is used for wet curing meats, to retain color and freshness. It is a ratio of 16 oz. salt to 1 ounce sodium nitrate.

Chop half of the meat into 1/4 inch pieces and grind the other half with a coarse grinding plate. Mix the two together with:

1/8 Cup Non-Fat Powdered Milk (this is a binder)

Stuff the sausage into prepared Hog Casings (Beef middle casings if you can find them). Here is my method of Linking Sausage.

Tie each sausage link with kitchen string to make a loop for hanging. Hang uncovered in the refrigerator overnight. This step is to let the casings dry out to allow smoke absorption, very important.

I smoked this in an inexpensive upright barrel smoker, with charcoal as the heat source, and unsoaked Pecan chips for the smoke. The sausage was hung beneath the top rack, no water pan.

I smoked this at 130º F for 2 hours, then increased the heat to 165º F for another 2 1/2 hours, refreshing the wood chips as needed. The trick here, is to get as much smoke flavor into the sausage before it is actually cooked through, and too hot of a temperature will render the fat out of your sausage. I controlled the temp by the number of coals, and keeping them piled up and pushed to one side. When you spread your coals out the temperature will increase. I added more coals to reach the 165º F mark.

The internal temperature of the sausage should read 155º F on an instant read thermometer. Remove at this point and immediately spray with cold water. Hang at room temperature in front of a fan for 1 hour then refrigerate overnight, uncovered.

Portion and store in vacuum sealed packages in the freezer.

----------

Enjoy!

TMT Tactical and Yenix like this.
  13. Yenix

Yenix Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    Ohooo, having smth to experiment with... :) Will keep you updated about the results.

14. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to our forum, I know you will love it, after all you've been through...eat, drink, and post. lol

TMT Tactical likes this.