Anti-drowning Prototype Kit

Discussion in 'Survival Kits' started by Pragmatist, Sep 14, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Interesting. I still remember the Army's way of drown proofing. I think I'll pass on those grounds.

Dale

TMT Tactical and wally like this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    my anti drowning kit is staying out of the water!!
    the problem isnt the locals, they know about the water, the rip tides and the currents, its the tourists who come down from land locked places like Birmingham who dont even know the tide goes in and out twice a day.

Dalewick, Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Just curious, at what sea state does US Army drown proofing the candidates? Around here they drown proofing at either sea state 2 or 3 (Navy). I was lucky enough to get sea state 2 at the time.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  5. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  6. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL! The sea state wouldn't have mattered much for the Army's training. It was conducted in an Olympic size pool where we climbed to the top of the high diving tower. Had our ankles tied together and hands tied behind our backs. Had a blindfold tied on and then spun around 3 times before being pushed off into the deep end of the pool. You let yourself sink to the bottom and then kick off and get to the surface and get a breath. Kept doing that until the instructor signaled to get you out. Some did drown but they were resuscitated. That was for special ops.

Basic Army drown proofing was simply getting you in the water and teaching you ways of using your pants, gear or whatever to make a floatation device and how to tread water for as long as you can. I don't remember any mention of sea state in the Army basic drownproofing training..

I have been in the ocean at stage 8. can't recommend it. Conducted combat swim, beach reconnaissance at state 6. Wouldn't recommend that either. I chalk those up to young and dumb. Coral rash sucks!

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna.

Agress completely - less US is not into SOLAS and more reliant on military doctrine with USCG as a strong foundation - but not always followed.

My personal opinion is that it's the American view on the denial of death. In the military this is coupled to "taking max care of our troops, sailors, Marines, and the rest.

I've taken a helicopter escape course for downing at sea. Only took the classroom portion- not in good enough shape for the wet training and this was only a swimming pool. The course was geared for the North Sea. I believe this is the world's worse area for helo crashes.

The US military is so large with so many missions it's really next to impossible to prepare for any survival of a sea crash.

The variables are numerous. If you're going to vacate a downed at sea helo and the only door you can get to is the cargo ramp section ...... and the blades are still beating air ...... = "lost at sea".

More than occassionally, extremely high winds make the emergency landing like flying into a nimbo granite cloud.

Cold water ? Burning petrol somewhere around ?

I've had some real aviators tell me that with ideal conditions such as Swan Lake with Odette and Odile dancing around: a maybe.

Other conditions; cold water, at night, body armor still on, ... no maybe; the results can be guaranteed.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I believe feet wet aircraft crash survival is heavily dependent on pilot experience, pilot/crews ability to send SOS with grid location, distance from land. I survived 2 Blackhawk crashes (feet dry) and walked away (more or less) from them. Both crashes occurred due to rotor failure and the aircraft went from tree top height to ground in under 60 seconds. Pilot skill level was expert as he maintained proper craft position all the way to the ground on the first crash. Not so much so the pilot during the second crash. No warning for either crash and no SOS sent, much less a location. Since both occurred at night, S&R response took hours. Rotor construction was changed as a part of these experiences.

Did I mention...I HATE Blackhawk helicopters.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.