Anybody Ulu?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by randyt, Jul 9, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    made up a couple ulus from a carpenter's saw. haven't really used it for much but had fun making it.
    Have seen fish being processed with a ulu, very efficient.

ac792cddec39b15a5964a759ed032800.jpeg

2. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Never even heard of it before. I need to research it I guess. Does it have any other uses aside from descaling fish? It looks like it would be good at that.

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  3. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    for a lack of a better term it is a eskimo woman's knife. It is used for skinning, butchering, leather work etc.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  4. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I bet it is also useful in building an igloo

5. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    maybe but a snow saw would be much handier. I think they were made usually out of baleen .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am a Ulu user. they are GREAT kitchen tools. I have two, one for mincing vegetables and spices and one for slicing and dicing meat. The rocking motion pins things down and chops them easily. I can pile up things and just rock through it and have it chopped up. The Inuit use this knife for everything. It skins, slices and chops and best of all for older people or people trying to work in gloves it is easy on the hands. I've given several of them to friends with arthritic hands and it is life-changing.

They are also called a Mezzaluna and sold for chef work. When matched with a wooden dished cutting board you can mince spices down to almost dust. I like to use fresh herbs and use mine to prep them.

0458bd4b6c681f0520f23a9cd789b885.jpeg

7. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I like them for large fleshing of flat work.

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    The Reptile learns something new today. Super and thanks for the posts.

Sonofliberty and randyt like this.
  9. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have never used one, but there is a You Tube channel Girl in the Woods. Brooke Whipple was a contestant (?) on a couple of the Alone series. She swears by them. Says they are the best knives ever invented. Granted, she is from Alaska.

randyt, TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I use a ulu a lot when cooking even though it's means lady's knife it's has its purpose and dose it well.

11. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Strangely you may find that in some places the Ulu is illegal unless you are exempt by way of being a 1st nation woman.
    Some places lump them into the same catagory as weapons like punch daggers rather than an Iñupiat woman's knife and as such they're illegal (in some states)
    I'm a bit addicted to collecting sharp and pointy things, I've has a couple over the years, one was rather special with an 11" cutting edge.
    The technique for using them allows a comparatively slight woman to exert a huge amount of force by using her whole upper bodyweight through her shoulder.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    randyt and TMT Tactical like this.