Anyone Else Have Any Practice With Throwing Knives?

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Toast, Jun 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    When I was young, I went to my grandfather's somewhat often. While I was there, sometimes I practiced throwing knifes at the tree outside. He had a lot of knives, and taught me how to do it. It's not the most useful skill available, but I feel like it can be decently useful. If you have a knife lying around, you can use it for an unexpected attack. Knowing how to aim it and being able to hit consistently could be potentially a great use. Plus, unlike some other ranged weaponry, if you can pick up your knife you can use it again. Practicing while you're out and about can also be used as a pass-time, and be quite fun.

2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree with you! Knife-throwing is kind of a lost art, but it does come in handy if you've got nothing else to protect yourself with. It's also a great way to stop people from running away from or pursuing you. I used to practice it with my father, who had a lot of different knives for things like hunting.
    Knife-throwing is still very much a skill, however, in Japan. The Ninja associations (yes, they do exist) continue to practice the art of smoke and mirrors, knife throwing, ninja star usage and cloaking techniques. Of course, you can take these courses and earn certifications that make you a professional knife-throwing ninja.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    knife throwing is for the movies or as a hobby, don't rely on it for your survival.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes I can throw a knife, I started throwing knives when I was a kid. Problem is you can ruin a good hunting knife throwing at a wooden target, so I only throw the tomahawk unless I am using my eldest son's throwing knife. Certainly a good skill to have, you never know when you may need it.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    As a kid I got proficient throwing knives but it is a very perishable skill!
    Not something I bother with now!

6. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    No, I can't say that I do. I suppose it could have some use in an emergency. I'd rather stick with my GI-stock M1911A1 loaded with +P JHP for close range affairs. Or, for that matter, one of our scatterguns loaded with 00-buck.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    It's a pretty useful skill to learn if you plan on surviving for a while, you never know when it could come in handy. It definitely took me a while to learn proper aiming and handling, but once you get the basics of it you can start hunting small animals like rabbits in the wild. It's also one of the best skills for defending yourself.

8. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    My 17 year old throws knives. He enjoys it. But they are special knives that are called throwing knives. They a sharp but each knife is created to be well balanced in you hand so that it goes right where you throw it. He has tried using butcher knives, but the aim on those are sketchy. In real life, I don't know how accurate throwing knives to kill an animal would be.

9. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Throwing knives are supposed to be thrown. I wouldn't go doing this with kitchen or utility knives and expect the same results. I don't think it's really that useful of a skill, but it looks cool and is really fun. If anyone wants to learn this skill, you can seek out your local SCA chapter. The SCA is like a medieval recreation sort of group that I used to belong to. They practice and have chapters in virtually most parts of the world, particularly the United States, and they have people that practice knife throwing and that's there thing. They even have competitions and such. I used to watch one of the Pittsburgh chapters practice their thrown weapons skills on Sundays in a local park. It was cool even if it wasn't that useful.

10. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    The throwing of a weapon is a mistake yes it may kill the intruder but that weapon is no longer in your hand to be used again its away from you and may be used against you find a old book on knife fighting and study and learn the style throwing stars were dipped in poison so that even a knick killed throwing knifes is a art takes alot of pratice but the weapon once threw is gone for beginners a good heavy machete is best longer than knife it keeps attacker away from you and causes good damage with each blow if nothing else a well cared for shovel makes a great weapon to ward off attacks ie a shovel needs to be resharpened once in awhile to be maintaned right the tossing of any weapon is not a good idea