Anyone Interested In Air Rifles And Pistols?

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by SkepticalOne, Jul 12, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    The modern air rifle is a long way from those we had as children playing cowboys and Indians! Todays air rifles are used on everything from small game, like rabbits and squirrels, to big gane in Africa like Cape Buffalo and Wildebeast, wart hogs, etc. I have a small collection which includes a Gamo Swarm .22, a Crosman 1077 (.177), a working replica of the Beretta M9, a working rep;lica of the old "broomhandle Mauser," and a Crosman C11. I have red dot lasers on the Beretta and Crosman C11, and the Crosman 1077. The Gamo has a 3x-9x by 45mm scope, and is a 10-shot break barrel type air rifle.. All the pistols are CO2, as is the Crosmn 1077.

The .22 Gamo will go through 1/2" plywood like a hot knife through butter, and is good for anything Racoon size or small, including Armadillos! I use H & N Silverpoints in the Crosman 1077 and Beretta, and RWS Super HPs in the Gamo. The Crosman C11 and broomhandle mauser are BBs only, and I use the Excete Smart Shot (low ricochet) BBs in them

I have regular firearms as well, but I don't get to the range much...a Fostech 12 Ga w/34 round drum, an old Remington pump 12 ga., a Tikka .308 with am 80x March scope, and an old Winchester .270. Also have an old classic Browning .380, and a Browning 1911 in .380 (yep, I'm kinda partial to the .380), but I also have a 9mm Browning. My "carry" pistol is the Browning .380 compact bda, in a small of the back holster. I have leg holsters for the 9mm and Browning 1911.

Anyway, my question here is -- anyone else on the Forum interested in air rifles/pistols?

2. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have an air rifle and an air pistol but because they're heavily restricted in the UK mine only have a maximum muzzle energy of 12 fpe and 6 fpe respectively. This means that they're not much use for anything larger then rats, squirrels or rabbits.
    FAC air rifles are also available with muzzle energy dramatically in excess of 12 fpe but not really worth the effort when you can get a real firearm with the same cost/amount of paperwork.

SkepticalOne likes this.
  3. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    What kind of air rifle/pistol do you have?

Ystranc likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    There are several members here who are into air rifles, therefore you may get several responses over the next few days.

I have a Beeman in .177. It is very accurate, but not very powerful. Great for birds. I've yet to have an opportunity to test it out on a squirrel. I would love to have a .22 pellet rifle of quality.

In a survival situation, you want your weapon to be quiet. People hear you shoot and figure that you now have some meat for supper. Why should they work, so they come in and attempt to put a round into your head.

For my .22 rimfire firearms, I keep all sorts of low-report ammo. Ammo that only has primers for power, no powder in case, often will not stabilize the bullet. Test ultra-low velocity ammo to make sure it will produce groups sufficiently accurate for your hunting needs.

Don't list your firearms on this site or any other. Everybody and their brother is watching. Having said that, I too have a Tikka in .308. It is sub-MOA.

SkepticalOne likes this.
  5. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I had a Beeman Wolverine in .177, but sold it...good rifle, but not a;ll that powerful. If you want a good .22 pellet rifle, I would suggest either the Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22, or the Gamo Swarm Magnum .22. The Magnum is likely the most powerful you're going to get in .22.......https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_Swarm_Magnum_Multi_shot_Air_Rifle/4560 (1300 fps).

6. Ystranc

277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have n English spec. Crosman.22 rifle at 14fpe and a BSA 240 .177 pistol adjusted to well under 6fpe for increased accuracy. Not many people will use a spring pistol for target shooting these days. Mine is roughly contemporary with Webley's typhoon pistol but better build quality. It's only real failing is poor range adjustment on the rear sight.
    I have often considered a Daystate huntsman or pulsar but it's the hassle of the extra paperwork balanced against the 40fpe muzzle energy and top of the line build quality.

SkepticalOne likes this.
  7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I still have my BSA .22.
    Keith.

SkepticalOne likes this.
  8. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Do they permit red dot or green dot lasers in the U.K.?? I have the laser sights on the Beretta and Crosmans, but use a scope on the Gamo. Nothing can be mounted on the broom handle Mauser.

Ystranc likes this.
  9. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I have a Feinwerkbau .177 single stroke. It will take squirrels, jackrabbits, partridges, and other critters in that size range all day, every day.

I also like to "mini snipe" with it in the back yard. If you take empty 9mm brass and place them at 30 feet, it is an adjunct to shooting a human head at 300 yards.

SkepticalOne likes this.
  10. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    That is one good looking rifle, what are the price ranges? I popped on their site, but don't see any prices listed.
    https://www.feinwerkbau.de/en/Sporting-Weapons/Air-Rifles/Model-800-X

11. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:

Attached Files:

12. Ystranc

277/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes, low wattage laser sights (<1 Watt), red dot sights, silencers etc are legal to retro-fit in the UK. The only restrictions are that silencers need to be recorded on the firearm certificate if the firearm is over 14fpe and that lasers should not be used if there is any likelihood of them causing injury to or distracting pilots/drivers

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 2:32 AM
    SkepticalOne likes this.
  13. Ken S LaTrans

38/58

Blog Posts:
    SkepticalOne likes this.
  14. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I found a site that sells them and gives prices...$800 Bit pricey for me, I try to stay under $300. The Gamo Magnum .22 is $299 and will probably be my next purchase. It is supersonic (1300 fps), but it is also extremely powerful, and I use Super Hollow Points (14.7 gr) which may slow it down to right around the supersonic point (about 11oo fpps). I might go to a heavier pellet if it would get it down to just below supersonix...18 gr maybe. The Gamos are very accurate, and right out of the box the Swarm was shooting 1 1/2 groups at 50 yds...now I've got it down to around 1" with minor adjustments...very accurate, no recoil to speak of and it's just below supersonic (1050 fps). https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Feinwerkbau_Sport_Air_Rifle/3403

15. Ken S LaTrans

38/58

Blog Posts:
    Gamo makes one helluva good rifle. I bought one for my daughter a few years ago and she can shoot the nuts off a mosquito at 25 yards with it. My son has one of the Walther 22s. My daughter leaves her Gamo at our cabin in northern AZ for busting pine cones.

SkepticalOne likes this.
  16. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I like the hell out of the Gamo, which is why my next purchase will be the Gamo Magnum .22. I can adjust pellet weight to get it down to just below supersonic even if I have to go to an 18-20 gr pellet. The Maxxim is pretty powerful, but the Magnum is a monster!!

Ken S LaTrans likes this.
  17. Ken S LaTrans

38/58

Blog Posts:
    This is my absolute favorite BB/Pellet gun though...it will fire both BBs and pellets. It will take up to 10 pumps and it has enough power to SCHWACK a feral cat or bust a bunny or squirrel.

I know it's old school and decidedly non-modern...but I love the Crosman 1377.
    Crosman 1377.png

SkepticalOne likes this.
  18. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    That's a classic and a very good pistol. The Gamo will take feral cats, I've shot 3 in the last month, but none of the pistols are powerful enough...a squirrel or pheasant is about all they can handle. The Beretta shoots both bbs and pellets, and oddly enpough has a 450 fps with bbs, but 650 fpps with pellets. The pellet mode MIGHT take a feral cat, but I haven't tried it with pellets yet.

19. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Do you have any problems out there with wild hogs? (Javelinas, Peccaries?) We are overrun with them down here in the South and it's open season on them all year.

20. Ken S LaTrans

38/58

Blog Posts:
    I have packs of javelina on my land. My 100 acres borders on tens of thousands of acres of state and federal land. They are all over...but not a "problem" like feral hogs are.

Javelina aren't actually pigs...they are like a large rodent. They are too big for a pellet gun. I usually shoot one or two javelina a year with a suppressed .22 pistol. I like javelina burritos, chile, and jerky. I encourage them to be here actually. If the SHTF...they are renewable protein with no feed from me being necessary.

SkepticalOne likes this.
  21. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    Feinwerkbau is the factory that makes Beeman air rifles.

The Crossman pellet pistol has been super popular. I still have mine. The O-ring on the bolt is its Achilles heel. These rubber rings break, however I found the diameter (I've forgotten) and bought some extras for repairs. I haven't had that puppy out in some years now.

I don't know about now, but years back, Beeman had synthetic seals and piston plunger head. Gamo out of Spain used leather and thus really needed to be oiled.

Beeman pressures can get high enough for the chamber to diesel, which is to say that the oil will explode. When this happens, one gets massive over-pressure and you'll hear the pellet snap -- that is the supersonic crack of the pellet passing the sound barrier. Such pressures can blow the seals in the rifle. This is why pellet rifle lubricants are high temperature rated so that they will not diesel.

SkepticalOne likes this.
  22. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Shows my ignorance! I thought javelinas were pigs! I hog hunt about 4 times a year and fill the freezer...love BBQ wild hog!!

23. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I had a Beeman Wolverine (sold it) in .177 but when Gamo came out with the Swarm 10 shot magazine, I sold the Beeman, and got a .22 Gamo Swarm. Next will be a Gamo Magnum in .22. Gamo makes excellent air rifles, but I much prefer their .22 to the .177.

24. Oldguy

Oldguy Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I have an old air rifle that needs upgrading, not sure what I want to replace it with just yet but looking.

SkepticalOne likes this.
  25. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Depends on what type air rifle you want...CO2, break barrel, pump? For CO2, I'd recommend a Crosman 1077, For a pump, a Crosman as well, and for break barrel, either a Beeman Wolverine, or Gamo Swarm or Gamo Maxxxxim, or Gamo Magnum. I prefer .22 cal myself, but you may p[refer the .177. The Beeman and Gamos can be had in either .177 or .22 cal.

26. Oldguy

Oldguy Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I have worn out a few air rifles in my time but am looking at a FX Typhoon Synthetic as the replacement

27. Ken S LaTrans

38/58

Blog Posts:
    They damned sure look like pigs. We even call them pigs...as more of a local nickname. We call javelina season "pig season", so it kind of leaks over to other folks that they are actually pigs.

I have often wondered how well actual hogs would do if they were turned loose...like a shoat and a sow...here in the desert. Not that I am actually considering doing it, more of an intellectual exercise.

SkepticalOne likes this.
  28. Ystranc

277/345

Blog Posts:
    Well some fool turned around 40 wild boar loose here in the uk, now there are in excess of 1500 feral wild boar and they're breeding fast.

SkepticalOne likes this.
  29. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    Texas is having a terrible time with wild hogs. State game officials are considering poisoning them.

I heard a Tx warden say on a radio interview, "We can't BBQ ourselves out of this situation." I laughed out-loud in my vehicle. So, it seems that its gonna take a whole lot more than hunting to get'er'done.

Air rifles for hogs, hmmmmmm -- I see a whole lot of pumping going on or a compressed air tank with some serious pressure in it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

34fe337b57d432785cc71029d3164eeb.jpeg

https://truewestmagazine.com/the-amazing-air-rifle-of-meriwether-lewis/

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 3:50 PM
    SkepticalOne likes this.
  30. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Domestic hogs will go feral in very short order. One male escaped from a hog farm in Albama nd was shot a couple years later, weighed 1100 lbs and looked just like the wild version.

31. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    The "big bore" air rifles will take hogs....there are several videos on youtube showing the big bore air rifles being used on everything from wild hogs to cape buffalo in Africa. .357, .45, .50...all are good for big game, These big bore air rifles are just flat awesome. Hogs with an air rifle: Cape Buffalo with an air rifle:

32. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I have one and love it too. If you get the shoulder piece for it you can easily feed yourself on birds, squirrels and wood rats.

The air rifle is not a new creation. The Lewis and Clark expedition in the US was armed with them and at one time they were actually used by various European militaries. The Girandoni air rifle was designed in 1779 and was used by the Austrian Army from 1780 to 1815. It had a 20 round magazine for 13mm balls and you didn't have to stand up to load and fire it like a musket. Also rain didn't affect it.

I have had a bunch of different air guns over the years. Barrel cock, side lever cocked and pump type. I have also got several BB guns and actually like the Crosman Classic 2100 a lot for the fact that it will shoot BBs and 177 cal pellets. I used one for years to kill mice and it was flawless in its service for almost 20 years. I like the BBs because they are light, dirt cheep and I can carry thousands of them.

33. Ken S LaTrans

38/58

Blog Posts:
    I know hogs do well in the climate of the southeast and central plains...I am dubious about how well they would do in the harsh desert climate of southern Arizona. I would suspect that they would do well (and a lot of damage) in the mountains of northern Arizona though.

I have been offered hunting trips to Texas, but I have always turned them down. Going hobby hunting with a bunch of pampered doctors and lawyers who just want to be driven out to a stand on a bait pile isn't my idea of fun. I got stuck on an elk hunt in Montana about five years ago that was like that. Several surgeons who work at the trauma center where my wife works got in on an elk hunt....one of them had to cancel and they asked me to go along. I went. I was the only one of the bunch who actually showed up with a rifle that wasn't "new and unfired"...I took my old Remington 700 in 7mm Mag, verified zero at 500 yards when we got there...and was also the only one who could saddle, mount, and care for my own horse on the trip. (insert eye roll here). Never again.

Texas is beautiful, and it's handy that I can use it to go from Louisiana to Arizona...the only problem is that it is full of Texans (j/k).