Anything Else I Need?

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by SkepticalOne, Jul 8, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm basically prepping for a 3-5 yr SHTF. I have a Browning 9mm pistol, an old .270 Winchester, and a Remington pump 12 ga, as well as a crossbow and accessories. My BOL is in Wyoming, 25 acres with a modified A-frame home. In the way of weapons, is there anything else I might need? Local predators include everything from Grizzly bears to weasels....cougars, wolves, foxes, coyotes, skunks, you name it, we got it!!

Keith H. likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    how about a store of food and water? heritage seeds to grow your own food when your stockpile is gone?

Old Geezer likes this.
  3. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Do not want to do any gardening or raising of animals.....will store food for 5+ years is I have to. Water? I have a deep well 600' and there is a good size stream bordering the rear of my property.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    So long as you have plenty of food & water, ammunition , knives, axe, I don't see as though you need anything else in regards to your planned scenario. IF your planned scenario did not pan out & you had to leave your retreat, that would be a different kettle of fish!
    Keith.

SkepticalOne likes this.
  5. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Short of war with Russia or China, I don't see the authorities allowing any "insurrection" time enough to gain traction. They know where the tax dollars come from, and I just can't see the authorities not protecting that tax base. If the Left ever worked up enough nerve to try it, I believe they would have a very rude awakening in very short order. Leas, FBI, US Marshals, Homeland Security, National Guard, Reserves, regular military, AND the well-armed Conservatives.....no, I don't see the Left gaining anything but a king size ass whipping if they got to froggy.

6. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I am planning on having a couple of 2500 gal fuel oil tanks installed, and moving out there "permanently," next year, and going into pure retirement mode. Also want to add a 5 - 8 KW solar unit and a large shed that can be sealed against animals, and then laying in about 5 years worth of freeze dried meals, MREs, and meal kits that are SUPPOSED to have a 5+ year shelf life. My wife died 4 years ago, so now there's just me and the dog (Muttley), and I'm ready to just flat fully retire and kick back. The place has all the so-called modern conveniences including wi-fi, tv, phone (AT&T bundle), freezers, and it is habitable year round. All-electric, but if the grid goes down, I have a generator back-up, and will be adding the solar unit next spring. Nearest town is roughly 25 miles, and the nearest neighbor a good two miles, away....pretty isolated and very sparsely populated. Any advice would be appreciated. Never been on a Forum before, but it strikes me as a good way to gain some ideas and constructive criticism/advice.....so any input will be well appreciated.

7. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I should say "all-electric" except the furnace....that's fuel oil. If fuel oil was not available, I have a large fireplace, and could always lay in tons of wood. I may add an auxiliary electric furnace after I put in the solar unit, but I think that may require a larger solar unit...gonna have to do some research on that, and see what the budget can handle beyond what I've already got planned.

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I will go basically totally non electric . Lights at night and the sound of a generator in the dead silence of a world without power or cars will attract too much attention for my tastes. I also don't think that I want to live for five years on canned food. I was raised gardening and canning food and just much prefer the home made stuff over the canned stuff off store shelves. I also plan to live for more than five years and so will be concentrating on a plan that carries on for a much longer time frame. My well will be a lot shallower. I want to be able to get water without having power. We can get water here at a lot less than a hundred feet.

Each of us will make plans to live at whatever level we can be comfortable with. Keith will be happy to settle with a basic level simular to the mid to late 1800s where I will be more comfortable at a level similar to the very early 1900s. These time periods will be simpler but also a lot more labor intensive than the powered periods of the mid to late 1900s. A lot of this has to do with how long you expect things to be seriously messed up. Even if you have several thousand gallons of fuel if things last for five years fuel will be gone and electric power will be nearly impossible to sustain. You will want to plan for the point in time when you won't be able to get water from a six hundred foot well and you are out of stored foods.

To each their own. I'm actually fairly comfortable with a non powered lifestyle. I like to garden and have the stuff on hand to can my own food. I like to hunt and fish and live someplace where there is a lot of available resources for that easily available. I understand though that for many people younger than me that is a very uncomfortable existence. I have thousands of paper books and all sorts of manual games and tools so power just isn't as necessary to me as to someone of the smart phone, tablet and computer generations.

SkepticalOne likes this.
  9. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the input. We "agree to disagree" in a way.....You are thinking in terms of longer than a 5-yr SHTF, while I am thinking of less than 5-yrs. The gardening is pretty much out of the picture....my arthritis wouldn't let me be an effective gardener. I can still handle a rifle & pistol and my crossbow, but even that may become difficult as the years go by. RA is the one that cripples you...deformed hands, feet, limited range of motion, and eventually it gets to the lungs as well and makes breathing difficult. Got a few years before I get to that point, but if I am still alive when it rolls around, and the SHHTF yet, I will likely have to either find a friendly squaw, or move back to civilization. Not the best of situations, but I have to work with reality, 'cause if I don't, then reality has a way of biting one's azz. So I go with power and stored fuel for the furnace. I could live without the Internet....you can store an awful lot on TB HDDs, and not need any Internet once you have what you want on the HDDs...but you do need power, true. In theory, I could probably cook in the fireplace, or put in a wood burning stove....never gonna run outta wood there. I would not be real thrilled to live off MREs and canned food for 5 years, either, but it would keep you alive and you gotta do what you gotta do. If the grid goes down, and the fuel runs out, the stream/water filters-purifiers will provide the water. With food/water, one can survive, even if it's not at luxury level.