Appalachia And Vista

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Pragmatist, Mar 29, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
  2. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Being from Appalachia and more specifically West Virginia, my opinion of VISTA is that they should get the hell out of West Virginia and stay out. It's no news flash that were a "poor" state. Been that way forever and until we quit listening to the government and there bullshit ideas and start doing things that work with these mountains and not against them, that won't change. West Virginia's culture as well as southern Appalachia's culture is far different than anywhere else in this country. Always has been, always will be. Most don't realize the differences or the causes for those differences. These mountains are old. So old in fact that we have what geologist call inverse topography. Our mountains rose, eroded down and eroded further so that what was valley's are now our mountain tops. This is why we have springs and seeps on the tops and sides of our mountains. Look up how many rivers in the world flow north. Especially north cutting across a mountain range.

WV has water. Quality water. We have abundant natural resources and the state is starting to use tourism and our natural setting to it's advantage. Tourism is fine but is not a stable income source. I keep waiting on WV to start producing specialty food items in aquaponics and exotics, to become agriculturally significant to the world. Instead of exporting our raw materials, especially lumber, we should be producing fine, high quality furniture for export.

I'm ranting, so I should stop. Change is hard and WV changes slower than most.

Dale

DirtDiva likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Dale,

Can't comment on VISTA. I'm biased. Never even supported the Peace Corps.

I do know that West Virginia furniture can't compete against California's inflatable chairs.

West Virginia is slowly - and quietly -becoming America's Silicone Valley for biometrics. DOD has a place at Bridgeport and FBI is at Clarksburg.

When my associates' kids get transfers from eastern Virginia to West Virginia, my associates start their cabin hunting / BOP set-ups in West Virginia !