Are Are Snakes Edible?

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by branchd77, Oct 8, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    I know you can eat most snakes, but can you eat all of them? I am reading mixed information and would love for this to be cleared up.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    As far as I am aware, all snakes in Australia are edible, just make sure you cut well back from the head & the venom sack. Not sure about the US.
    Keith.

3. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes they are

4. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      230/345

Blog Posts:
    We have a rattle snake round up in Oklahoma. All the snakes here (USA) that have rattles are edible. My grandpa would eat copperheads too.

I think water moccasins are edible too but they have something that makes them taste bad. One year we were camping at Lake Eufala and my brother and I happened on a huge moccasin. Grandpa went crazy looking for it. Not sure if he was wanting to eat it or just kill it to keep us safe. It was between my feet when I saw it. HOLLY CRAP!

He also would eat any frogg he could get his hands on. We cooked up any fish bigger than your hand. When I was a kid that was small.

5. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I don't run into many snakes where I'm at, but like a true internet-survivalist I googled your question, and I don't find anything saying that you couldn't eat any snake. But thinking about it, you can eat any meat, it's more a question wether you have cooked it properly to kill of any bacteria.

6. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      230/345

Blog Posts:
    I think that's true.

7. Rusty84

Rusty84 Well-Known Member
      51/58

Blog Posts:
    The venom sacs are located right behind the head. Remove that and even venomous snakes are ok to eat. Technically, you could eat the venom sacs since most of their potency is realized when the venom is injected into muscle tissue- but I wouldn't recommend trying it. Risks outweigh any nutrients you would gain.

8. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:

Here how to skin a rattle snake.

9. C.J.

C.J. New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Ive always heard that our stomach acids can handle venom, but not poisons. Might not be a good idea to drink it or anything though. I wonder what it would do to you if you had open sores in your mouth or stomach ulcers or something.

When we went camping when I was younger dad would gather all sorts of critters for dinner, its amazing how good some of that stuff was.

10. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Snakes can be ate cut head of skinned and cleaned they have good meat be extra careful of vipers the sacks are in the heads of them and can and do reflex bite even dead