Are Premium dog food cans ok for human consumption?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by I Will Not Starve, May 28, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. I Will Not Starve

I Will Not Starve Well-Known Member
      70/99

Blog Posts:
    I was wondering if premium canned dog food without meat byproducts, fillers and grain free might be an option in emergency. I feed my dog BLUE BUFFALO HOMESTYLE which has real meat and vegetables and added nutrients for complete balanced diet. (I understand a complete diet for dogs may not be complete for human but who worries about that in short term?) I have not asked Blue Buffalo if the meat used is ok for human consumption.

A single can is about 400 calories so a person could survive on 2 cans a day for short term emergency. This would be expensive for a family but I am single so a can costs just under $3 and requires no cooking or preparation. I haven't tasted it but my dog loves it. Comes in Turkey, Chicken, Beef, and Lamb. Any thoughts. Better than eating rodents and almost rotten food stored inappropriately or too long. Any thoughts?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I remember many years ago up in the Territory reading about this bloke who was living in the bush eating cans of dog food. I never understood why he would purchase dog food when he was hard up for cash, because the canned foods for humans was a third of the price. I still don't see the point or advantage.
    Keith.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  3. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    If all I could get hold of was dog food I'd eat it for sure, I doubt there is anything in it that is harmful to humans and I imagine you probably get quite a lot of energy from it.

4. I Will Not Starve

70/99

Blog Posts:
    What cans of human food are complete nutrition? How many different cans of food would you have to open to get complete meal? As far as I know, a human "meal in a can" doesn't exist.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. I Will Not Starve

70/99

Blog Posts:
    Did some calculations of macronutrients in can of BLUE BUFFALO Beef Dinner with garden vegetables (425 kcal in can).

Can is 78% moisture so you calculate macronutrients by converting to dry matter (just divide crude grams by 22 (dry matter content) to get percentages.

Protein 38.6% (human recommendation is 10%-35%)
    Fat 27.3% (human recommendation is 20%-35%)
    Implied Carbs 34.1% (human recommendation is 45%-65%)
    The implied carbs includes fiber which reduces actual calories.

So just slightly high protein and lower carbs so add some favorite hard candy and you get a very balanced macronutrient diet for humans.

Actual ingredient list from can: beef, beef broth, beef liver, carrots, peas, sweet potatos, brown rice, barley, oatmeal, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, guar gum, carrageenan, potassium chloride, cassia gum, salt, acid chelate, choline cbloride, vitamin E supplement, copper amino acid chelate, mangaese amino acid (vitamin B3), calcium pantothenate (vitamin B5), vitamin A supplement, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), biotin (vitamin B7), vitamin B12 supplement, potassium iodide, pyrodoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid (vitamim B9).

Notice no glutens, meat meal or byproducts, soy, corn or wheat.

Cannot determine if the vitamin supplements are close to RDA for humans but overall a nutritious meal.

THE BIG QUESTION: How does it taste? I will have to eat a spoonful next time I feed my dog.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  6. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    If I was starving, I guess I would try it. However, I can always forage for food, grow food, hunt for food, etc. A friend of mine used to work for a dog food factory in Indiana when I lived there and I used to "smell" her daily as she came home from work. For that reason, I sort of have an aversion to the smell of dog food. It is awful and instantly makes me gag. So, it would probably have to be a very last resort for me.

7. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    Ok, so my family knew some people who went to Germany for work and they had this older relative with them that didn't know the language at all, yet. So when they went to the supermarket to buy food, and found this really cheap food in cans right next to the counter. Back then dog food didn't have the doggie picture on the outside. No one bothered to read the can at all because they kept eating that food for 2-3 years until one day they read the actual description on the can that said "premium dog food".

They said it tastes like really good canned meat.

Prairie Dog and Lisa like this.
  8. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't suggest eating the canned dog food, but it's not going to hurt you. The most it's going to do is make your stomach hurt or gross you out. It all depends on if you can stomach it. It should be perfectly fine to eat. If a dog can eat it without getting hurt, then a human should be absolutely fine. I'd suggest just looking into canned soup, since that's around the same price and will probably taste better.

9. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
  10. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Being that I'm vegetarian, I don't think I'd ever be up for trying dog food. There was that recent episode, however, where Serena Williams tried her dog's canned food and was immediately rewarded with a trip to the bathroom, Dumb and Dumber style. That news alone was enough to deter my curiosity from ever sampling dog food or cat food forever.

Still, I have heard of the elderly sharing their pet's food and getting by all right... but, yeah. Still ew. No thanks.

11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I suspect its quite edible at a push, only in an emergency when you've run out of anything else to eat.but only when every other option has failed.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  12. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Young children 2-3 when they arent' being watched often eat dog food and it doesn't affect them negatively in anyway. I suppose that if they can eat dog food and they don't get sick if circumstances demanded that you eat dog food, then you could eat just a little.

http://www.livescience.com/32195-what-happens-if-you-eat-dog-food.html
    Don't overdo it . . .

13. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    I do love your adventurous spirit and your lack of plate fright.
    Prairie Dog

14. I Will Not Starve

70/99

Blog Posts:
    What can of soup provides a completely nutritious macronutrient diet? You get a salty broth-based liquid with a few small chunks of meat and maybe some vegetables. No soup is going to meet your PROTEIN needs. How many cans of soup does it take to obtain 800-1,000 kcal per day?

15. I Will Not Starve

70/99

Blog Posts:
    You cannot GROW food soon enough to provide nutrition in the aftermath of a crisis. This is not a feasible food survival plan. I am thinking short-term, immediately available, without the need to hunt, prepare, or cook anything. My last resort would be rodents and reptiles (very repulsive to me alive so can't imagine I would actually eat them).

Yes, I could stock my shelves with cans of beans, soup, fruit, ravioli/pasta, vegetables, tuna/chicken/turkey/sardines. But daily meals of this hodgepodge would be expensive.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Prairie Dog likes this.
  16. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    for growing your own food your probably looking at the SECOND summer following any major event before you can harvest anything.,

Prairie Dog likes this.
  17. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well you won't go far wrong eating baked beans.
    Keith.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  18. Topolov

Topolov New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    My wife use to work for Royal Canin. A dog food manufacturing plant. They also make James Wellbeloved. In the U.K. All dog food legally has to be fit for human consumption. There were people who ate the kibble at there desks

lonewolf and Prairie Dog like this.
  19. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    One option is to grow food indoors in 5 gallon pails. I have successfully done this with potatoes, going to experiment with other vegitables as well. Well worth trying as it would be less seasonal and open up options that may make a huge difference. I live in a climate that has 6 month winters and short grow seasons, if I can grow many of my staples this way it is a game changer.
    Prairie Dog

branchd77 likes this.