Are Preppers Introverts?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by lonewolf, Apr 2, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Interesting article. Thank you for posting. We should take a poll here, and see what the membership thinks. Are you an introvert or an extrovert? I guess I would consider myself an extrovert. I like other people. I have always participated in team things; sports or whatever. I was always a good team mate, and a team player work or play. I can joke and converse with anybody. I try to value everybody's contribution.

I also like quiet time, and like to be alone. Being in the woods or just sitting on the beach watching the water is perfectly fine with me. I don't feel that I need other people around to be happy. I am just fine all by myself.

What do they call you if you are right in the middle? IMHO there is no right or wrong. In the article the author cited studies where it was wrong to be an introvert; like it had to be fixed. I don't believe that for a second. You are what you are. Extroverts are happier than Introverts. That is BS. Who has the right to tell anybody if they are happy? It is a completely subjective and relative term.

I would expect that with the Prepping community you would find the same demographics as any other population. Whatever the normal distribution is; X% Extrovert X% Introvert we would be the same.

3. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have never been a team player, every time I went on a job interview and heard the phrase "our happy little team" I wanted to scream, I have worked with others in the past, mostly in the construction industry, but I always work better alone, and I don't need people around me, I am not a "herd animal" that we are told humans are, being alone has no qualms for me, in fact a I absolutely adore it, I prefer animals to people, so I think you can say definitely that I am an introvert.

4. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:

I too prefer working alone. In fact I have had the " team player " concept used against me when I disagreed with the Group Think. " Oh well, if you don't agree with us, and get on board then you are not a team player. " Really. Go s%^t in your hat. Probably cost me big time more than once.

Can't say I share your love of animals. They are O.K. No substitute for a good loyal dog, but I haven't had one in a long time. Introvert is fine. We still love you and appreciate your contributions.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you about no substitute for a loyal dog, we lost ours 2 years ago and haven't been able to find a suitable replacement, modern dogs are not what they used to be.
    in absence of that I normally talk to the sheep most mornings !! definitely introvert.

6. Colorado Prepper

Colorado Prepper Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
  7. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I am neither introverted nor extroverted, or more honestly, I am a mix of both. I am perfectly fine on my own for weeks at a time, but I also enjoy people. Well, some people. They have to bring something to the table beside a pretty face or a hot body. They have to have a functional brain and know how to use it in constructive ways. OTOH, I detest most liberals and all progressives. Anyone who thinks they have a right to the fruits of my labor can go hang themselves. Except for my kids of course, they do have that right, but I also choose to take care of them.

8. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    That was fun. I am an ESTJ-A Executive: Extrovert; Observant; Thinking; Judging; Assertive

Probably an accurate assessment.

Lonewolf: I fall a little more on the Extrovert side than I thought 69 Extrovert - 31 Introvert

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm a Commander ENTJ-A .., Extroverted, Intuitive, Judging, Assertive personality. Yeppers that is pretty close to me. I am extroverted but also am pretty self-contained. That means that while I like people and am outgoing I don't really need to be surrounded by people to be happy. I am a somewhat bossy and instinctively move to the front of the pack but am also the first to show up if someone I know has trouble that I can help with.

I think that preppers are just like everyone else and there is a full span of personalities that fit into this group. It takes all kinds. About the only group that just won't fit are the just too stupid to survive.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  10. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    I just took the test, It says I am ENTP-A.

DEBATER PERSONALITY (ENTP, -A/-T)
    Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ’crack-pot’ than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    LOL, when you look on the page that describes "your" personality type I found someone very unexpected. The Joker. LMAO!

One interesting thing though, apparently my personality sub type only makes up 3% of the population at large. I always knew I was a minority.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Logistician - ISTJ-A Introvert, Observant, Thinking, Judging, and Assertive.

Introvert = 92
    observant = 93
    Thinking = 83
    judging = 68
    Assertive = 88

As I have always maintained. I make the best friend you can have or your worst nightmare. As a night owl introvert, I am also an outstanding Gray man. Spent almost my entire working career blending into day life.

Colorado Prepper and Morgan101 like this.
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    These sort of tests are interesting but only show your tendencies. Then life slaps you around and you make adjustments. As a kid, I was massively shy and introverted. I still like my alone time a lot and that is why if given a choice I tend towards being a night person. In many ways, I'm a bit of a loner but when placed in a group I tend to be an alpha wolf and prefer to run in the pack. I don't have to lead but am usually near the top.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Introverted 76%
    intuitive 64%
    Thinking 79%
    Judging 79%

15. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have always been a day person. From as early as I can remember I was an early riser. As a student I opted for early classes. As an adult I was always the first one in to work, and I still am. The best time of day for me is about 10:00 AM. I am firing on all eight, and ready to take on the world.

Conversely, when I get home at night I go off like a light bulb. When I get home from work my butt hits the recliner, and I don't want to move. If you moved my dinner plate 6" I would probably starve. Just me. I know. I feel like my day is done, so don't ask me to do anything else.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I used to be a night person in my clubbing days but for the last 20 years I have been a morning person, up at 6am sometimes earlier, up and out along the country lanes before very few people-except the farmers- are up and about. most people these days seem to be up late at night, i'm in bed by 9pm!!

17. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I see sunrise more often as the end of my day than the beginning.

18. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    ISTJ-A (whatever that means?) logical thinking, logistics, planning, and tactics are apparently my strengths.
    I'm not unsociable, I can get along with most people but I find that some take more effort than others, if they're taking too much effort I disengage or tune out. In the past I've been accused of being cold or dis-associative but that's usually when I'm finding someone is rude, boring or stupid.
    I like debate as long as its intelligent debate, not dumb argument or abuse. I have a dry sense of humour that most people don't get but I also like really silly childish humour.

19. Colorado Prepper

Colorado Prepper Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Nothing gets me laughing harder than a good old fashioned fart joke. :D

20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The thing about introverted people always makes me think of the old saying; "It is often better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and eliminate all doubt!"

I generally have found that most introverted people would be better described as thoughtful. They never let their mouth run out ahead of their brain as most extroverted people have a tendency to do.

21. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Hey, I resemble that remark lol

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I am going to hit the dark side of this subject simply because it may spare a child from abuse . An abused child such as repeated and unjustified beatings can cause the child not to be able to normally interact with other people . I am not saying all introverts have been abused but this does happen .

23. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:

24. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Well. Me and Morg are alike in this category: Executive (ESTJ-A)

As a sidebar thought I must admit that I'm perfectly content to be alone for weeks, months, (and probably years if I had to be). Yet, I am not shy or withdrawn when I am among people, even strangers.

"Executive personalities lead by example, demonstrating dedication and purposeful honesty, and an utter rejection of laziness and cheating, especially in work."

Yep, that's definitely how I feel about things in general, not just work ethics.

I skimmed through the rest of the assessment but will go back and read it when I have more time.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think your way off topic with that remark.

26. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I am an enfp-a, which says I am "charming, independent, energetic and compassionate".
    Gosh.

27. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Lone Wolf,

Years ago I took the Myer Briggs Persona "Test". The 16 categories plot out from max introvert to max extrovert.

President Reagan knew how to assemble his personal staff to use the various categories. Michael Dever (spell), was the detailed-introvert; every word in every document was examined, assessed and reported on - in detail. Ollie North was the opposite; big-picture, get things done by dealing with other people of all groupings, nationalities, trustworthiness, ..

All the categories are required for important ventures.

Regardless of introversion or extroversion, what I find in all the 16 subcategories are those making maximum efforts to preserve their mode of euphoria.

The psychologists call it "denial". We of laity call it "psychological denial". Why get a few extra jugs of water in the house because of the pending hurricane when Aristotelian logic says there's no written guarantee that the hurricane will be that severe .... and there's always the available 911 call.

That pictured "tiny solitary living" shack resembles small homes in Oklahoma Territory and Birobidzhan, Soviet territory near maritime oblasts. I have pictures of both areas. The huts did work. People lived in them and had families and were hungry and cold but not that much worse than others. "Where one can live, one can live well." anon.

The prepper community is a small sliver of the overall community: all types but with focused and developed knowledge bases.

28. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My take on the survivalist personality ilk is that they have this thing called "forethought" in common.

So I'm driving and see some cars way up ahead go sideways and it looks as if they may have slammed into each other. Cars behind them appear to be slowing down and I see break-lights. What am I going to do, maintain my current speed? No, I'm gonna slow down. I'm gonna see if anybody is coming up on my 6-o'clock. Shoot, I might just pull off the side of the road until this crap up ahead looks like it might resolve or go up in flames. I'm not getting mixed up in that! Time to get out the map and find an alternate route.

The behaviors in which I engaged in the above scenario do not tell you much about me. What I did was logical. To do otherwise, would speak to me being odd.

You are in your house and smell smoke, so you change the TV channel and flip the page of the newspaper. You had turned the light off in the kitchen, yet lights are coming from there and it's getting warmer even in the den where you are relaxing. Will it take a neighbor pounding on your front door screaming at you to get your hind-end up off your cozy chair?!

Maybe I would pound on my neighbor's door. If I knew him well, then I might just shrug my shoulders go break-off some little limbs and try to find where I put the marshmallows.

Let me become my own psychiatrist for a moment and analyze myself. Hmmmmm. I've come to the conclusion that I'm reasonably normal ... OK, except maybe for the somewhat dark cynicism factor.

29. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't care about introvert or extrovert. I will not be taking that test. I can do both but mostly am pretty much private by nature. This often means introvert..but don't think I cannot become dominant or extroverted and very quickly if need be.

Life teaches one that mostly people will not mess with you or yours...but there are those few..those idiot ignorant few....you have to dominate them...even get them to believe you are more crazy and even more dangerous than they ever thought they could be.
    If you don't ...they will take advantage of you and yours. This just happens to be the way of the world.

I am driving this bus and have little interest in keeping up with the Jones's.

I can be a team player..or run solitude...alone ..and have been solitude by choice for most of my like and don't care who likes or under stands it.

Do not mistake ones meekness or mildness for weakness.

My greatest satisfaction in this world it to teach a young person to think outside of the box ...to see , in a moment, this world in a different view, a different light, than was their awareness a few minutes prior. They become awakened....a different person....with this new awareness about the world around them. Now what they do with that information and new awareness is their business..but now they know.

I have learned that such teachers are a rare and valuable commodity in this world...

I have been privileged...yea....even blessed.... to have run across a handful of them.

And one of the sidelights of what they taught me is that I don't worry about introvert or extrovert...as long as you have Truth.

If need be you translate this Truth into Salt when dealing with two legged wildlife...Ishmaelites.

What you learn in being extroverted... when need be..is that "Slugs cannot stand Salt."

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  30. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Introvert? Probably. I absolutely believe that extroverts more often report being happy. You can't get them to shut up!

I don't do these free tests. For something like that, if you're not paying, you're the product.

31. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Is former Member of Congress Debbie Blabbermouth Schultz happy ?

Good point re the free tests.

32. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    I was when young but not anymore.

33. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    I did the test INFP-T Mediator .... I could never imagine myself as a mediator. I see myself as an
    Introvert with high need for interaction which exhausts me, class clown, keener, but emotionally stunted in some ways. Loyal and devoted when I learn to trust. Yet, I am also that person that for my whole life random people need to tell me everything about their lives.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  34. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am NOT a team player, every time I went for a job interview and someone mentioned "our happy little team" I wanted to scream and run a mile.
    I am a hermit, a recluse, a loner, a survivalist, does that make me an introvert? maybe.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  35. Duncan

315/345

Blog Posts:
    I consider myself an extrovert, and when Dawn and I moved to a rural area, I made a point of meeting as many neighbors as possible, getting to know them, and trying to be friendly and helpful. It seems to have worked, because I have become a part of a loosely-organized network of folks who will offer to help or answer questions from some recently-arrived city folk trying to become homesteaders. I believe that the best way to pull through any hard times -- from a temporary outage of electrical service to job loss or even a major infrastructure breakdown and civil unrest -- is not to play Rambo in the boonies, but to join with others who share skills, goals, abilities and outlooks with you.

I understand that many folks here identify as introverts, and from what I see of your posts, that introversion is reflected in your prepping approach and your SHTF goals. It'd be interesting to see how our two groups fare in a SHTF situation, but if the grid actually fails we'll probably never know!

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  36. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Duncan good plan and was a good move on your part to become a part of the community group . I expect a lot of people including some of our members don't fully understand how SOME rural communities will unite and work as a team when a need arises to help a single community member or a larger cause . One reason I say some do not understand this concept is I sometimes read on here how someone is preparing to shoot their neighbors in a SHTF situation . I have read on here where someone stated they probably wouldn't even give a starving neighbor a dead squirrel even if they had plenty . This pulling together is a survival hold over strategy from our pioneer days . It helped then and can help now and into the future .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    I was a real introvert as a child. My supervisor talked to me about a coworker and how he is so introverted and not like me. Saying not all are lucky enough to be naturally an extrovert. LOL so I am not naturally an extrovert. I taught myself to be such.

When it comes to prepping and being prepared. I can point out my state government has a website saying to be prepared. With minimal recommendations as to what to do. Most people have their heads in the dirt. In the US. The federal government recommends being somewhat prepared. Mostly the governments recommend at least 3 days. Nobody prepares at all. I just let it go.

I am different but secure in myself. So maybe a little introverted. But pretty confortable in groups or crowds or speaking in front of others. So maybe extroverted in that way.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Is a know-it-all an extrovert??

TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I can be both. In the military I was very team oriented. I did volunteer for special ops though as the rigidity of standard military procedure was grating on me.

I have mostly been a loner. Usually worked in remote areas by myself.

Yep, I'm a loner.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. Duncan

315/345

Blog Posts:
    Mother Gaia, I hope not! I think the reason Dawn and I have been accepted by the locals (about 60% of whom are LDS) was that our approach was that we didn't know Jack Squat about small town / rural living and admitted it. I think if we had come across as a bunch of arrogant smart-asses, we would've made fools of ourselves and no one would've given us the time of day!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    In 1993 or so I did the test. INTJ. I never gave the test much thought. But add me to the list of introverts.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  42. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    They needed another category. SAOK... Sarcastic Assinine Old Knowitall. I could have got all over that!

Dalewick, TMT Tactical and Alaskajohn like this.
  43. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Well I'm an introvert. Myers–Briggs Type Indicator : INTJ

TMT Tactical likes this.