Are There Natural Remedies For Pain In Nature?

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by JeffHart, May 24, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    If you were trying to survive in the deep woods of Kentucky or the wilds of Alaska and you don't have any pain reliever with you. Are there natural remedies to help with pain?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Aspirin from willow bark might help. Other than that you could ferment some native flowers to make alcohol. Here we can use the flowers of the Goonagurra plant, also know as Yacca, Kangaroo tail & Black Boy.
    Keith.

jeager and JeffHart like this.
  3. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    What about Birch leaf? it has many benefits, it's used in Aspirin and I'm pretty sure it can also be used as an analgesic.

We also have a lot of Arnica growing around here... which is a great pain reliever. I'm sure there are many more that you can use though.

Crys B. likes this.
  4. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I never thought to boil specific flowers to make alcohol. Great to know! I am adding this knowledge for my survival arsenal. ;)

Thank you.

5. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:

Good ones. Thank you for sharing!

6. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:

Yes, willow bark but Google it.

7. Lydia Lucinda

Lydia Lucinda New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
  8. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    I've found elders from tribes in different areas have a lot of different knowledge on medicinal plants that have been passed down through generations.

Crys B. likes this.
  9. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I had to chuckle to myself on this one.

Is not the rosin of the poppy plant a natural remedy for pain...also the Hemp plant.

Now don't misunderstand me here. I am more than aware of the wholesale misuse of these natural plants by so many and for recreational uses. I am not at all advocating this road.

I am just thinking that in times past and in certain areas of the world they were used in that capacity...and by native people.

If one was way off the beaten road and medical help was very very far away and difficult to get there...I don't think one would be arguing much about the remedy for pain. However...one needs to know the adverse side effects of these plants.

I would think that one would learn , as did our ancestors, to grow ones own supply of these plants and others as well...on ones own private plots. Not enough to go into business.but for ones own usage. I am not even sure if one needs special controlled environment to grow poppies or such. Greenhouses.
    I think the hemp is hearty sufficient to grow almost anywhere in the 50 states...but not sure about the poppy.

As I understand it in our World Wars...many soldiers got hooked on Morphine....from to frequent use and ready availability.
    I am not advocating for this kind of thing. For not only can some of these remedies be habit forming but they can be deadly as well. Once needs to know these cautions...in like manner as to what mushrooms are edible and what mushrooms are deadly.

As for myself...I don't like being around drunken people who cannot put it down.. nor drugged up people...nor people who cannot make it without nicotine. I have no use for this kind of "High Maintenance " people.
    I understand the need for pain remedies...but not habitual use/misuse of these plants/medicines.

Habitual use and or misuse of these things is to me a type of bondage.

Over the years I have found that I have a higher than average threshold for pain....but once I reach and exceed that threshold....I'm done in....ready for just such remedies. But I do not want to get hooked on any such pain remedy.

I've just known too many people who have wasted their youth and into their middle years in such recreational usage of these things. Not for me thanks.

Oh..and part of my SHTF and TEOTWAWKI supplies..I have put back over the years six fifth bottles of Bacardi 151 proof rum. None of them have been opened in 7 years. I have also put back two pint bottles of the same...unopened to this day.
    I am just not a big drinker..never have been....even beer. But it is there for those times.

When I get bad sick...like a bad flu..is when I hit the hard stuff and then hit the rack for some hard deep sleep. That is how I prefer to use said..."Hard stuff."

My .02,
    Watcherchris.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  10. KarlSurvivor

KarlSurvivor Active Member
      31/58

Blog Posts:
    Technically, the acetaminophen is based in a natural plant. Some ancient tribes use the leaves to cover wounds o areas with muscular pain as a painkiller

11. Crys B.

Crys B. Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:
    Natural can be interpreted in many ways. Technically, the body has natural opiods in it.

I know there are breathing techniques that can help with pain and pain resistance. But, from personal experience, (and as someone who goes through a lot of pain and medication and herbs don't work), it still is very difficult to develop pain resistance. I imagine it will take me quite a bit more time to.

None the less, it is possible to develop. You just have to develop the discipline.

It used to be, in the early middle ages, they had ways to anesthetist people. But that appears to be lost by the late medieval period, and the Renaissance period didn't rediscover it.

12. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    for tooth aches cut a quarter size piece of bark off the bodac tree , also known as a horse apple tree and osage orange tree . The white sap that will readily seep out will deaden your mouth way better than any over the counter tooth ache medicine . A word of caution though this is a very strong chemical and I have no idea what other effects this may have on your body . This stuff is so effective it is a bit frightening use at your own risk . This is an ancient native American medicine . I may have misspelled bodac but that's pretty close . There is a guy somewhere around here that makes a pain killer from the fruit of this tree and sells it for stopping pain , people eat it and claims it works . No way would I eat it , this is some serious stuff .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    This tree is called bois d'arc, bodark, hedge apple, horse apple, mock orange and monkey ball. It is also called by its well-known usage: bow-wood because there's no finer material for making traditional bows. The super-durable wood continues to strengthen and harden, yet remain flexible long after it has been cut and dried. It also makes great ax handles, fence posts, etc. because it is extremely rot-resistant.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  16. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    As far as a vitamin supplement Magnesium is a help for pain.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    There are over 60 varieties of mock orange, the one that you want is Philadelphus Ind. which is the one that occurs naturally in the Southern US. (Known to be toxic to cats but otherwise reasonably safe)

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.