Are there people here who have traveled a lot?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by rootle, Jul 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. rootle

rootle New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    By travelling a lot I mean having been to 15 countries or more from at least 2 different continents. Tell us which places you've been to. What made you travel so much? Is there any advice or any stories you'd like to share?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    nope, i'm a home body. I've been to Canada and I've been to France, but nowhere outside of the UK for nearly 40 years now, I don't even own a passport.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  3. ZoeZoundBarrier

ZoeZoundBarrier Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I am not sure if I should consider myself as some one that travels a lot or if I am just someone that is usually forced to switch up locations more than the usual. I have lived in NY, CT, Las Vegas, FL, VA and Maryland in a 10 year span, and it has effected me quite a bit. I don't make strong connections with people anymore since I am always moving about. I would like to move somewhere out of the country next but I will have to be way more stable before I attempt it.

4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    As a marine i was around the globe 9 times saw alot of the people and the globe

The Innkeeper and Bishop like this.
  5. rootle

rootle New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Which countries have you been to? Have you got any good stories from your travels?

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Yep, I could say that I've traveled quite a bit. Certainly a lot more than 15 countries. What made me travel? Why not? You get to see different places, meet different people... overall just gives you a much more in depth picture of the world that you are living in. If you confine yourself into one country then you will seriously be missing out.

Only tip or advice I can give you guys is, just go. A lot of people dream about traveling and loads will enthusiastically explain how they want to travel and see the world but the furthest they have ever gotten is the KFC down the street. Just get that ticket and go. ;)

The Innkeeper and pacmantacman like this.
  7. rootle

rootle New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Can you give me a list of your 10 favourite countries you've been to and explain why. Only if you want to of course. I've been around a bit myself, about 6 countries I think.

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Well 10 is a lot, how about I just throw in a couple of nice ones.
    If you enjoy the whole beach vacation setting, not talking about staying on the beach all day long (that's quite boring) but the seaside, amazing weather, good food etc. Then try Cyprus. I've been there twice, couldn't have been any happier.

If city stuff is more your thing, then definitly the Netherlands. Awesome people, so much to see and moving between cities is fast and easy. Don't do the usual mistake of just going to Amsterdam and spending a week there, nothing is stopping you from hopping in a train and spending a night somewhere else.

The Innkeeper and pacmantacman like this.
  9. rootle

rootle New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    That's fair enough. I have a friend who went to Cyprus and posted some great pictures. I'll try getting there at some point. The Netherlands is a place I definitely ahve to go to. I've been in transit at the Amsterdam airport, it's so frustrating to be there and not be able to go out and see things. Thanks for the advice.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    My husband and I started traveling frequently in 2012. We were in Hongkong twice and once in Singapore and also in Bangkok, Thailand. Last year, we traveled to 6 places - Beijing in China, Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia, Ho Chi Minh in Vietnam, Hongkong, Macau, Singapore. For this year, we were in Bangkok again last March and last week we were in Hongkong for our annual vacation. We travel a lot because of the promo tickets by Cebu Pacific Air which sometimes give more than 50% discount. By the way, we have a trip to Singapore in October and early next year we already have tickets for Kota Kinabalu in Malaysia and Osaka, Japan.

11. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Bought a boat on Long Island, took it to Halifax, Azores, Portugal, Gibraltar, Spain, Canary Is., Cabo Verdes, Barbados, up the Caribbean to many countries, Puerto Rico, N. Carolina, and up the Intracoastal Waterway to Chesapeak Bay.

There are too many interesting places to list but a couple of my favourites are the Azores and Gibraltar. They both have a significant population of friendly sailors from all over the world with common interests.

That was a two year cruise. Going into all sorts of foreign ports and being out of sight of land for up to 24 days at a time, it was a trial by fire of my prepping abilities. All true prepping trials are pass/fail and I'm here.

12. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    "Matt Bracken"..........right here on this forum.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    The Innkeeper and Sourdough like this.
  14. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    If you currently or have ever worked for BATF&E, or you covertly worship BATF&E, do "NOT" read any Matt Bracken novels. Especially the trilogy: "ENEMIES FOREIGN and DOMESTIC".

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  15. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes, have traveled extensively and lived overseas more of my working life than here in the States.

After getting out of the Army, I prepared to enter the oil industry and had a great career in the business aspects of the oil exploration section of the industry.

Mostly worked in Asia but other areas as well. I've worked in places that changed sovereignty while there eg Brunei on Borneo Island. Actually the only real change was the embroidery on a flag pole changed. If the Atlantic Alliance nations left the place, it would return to overgrown jungle. I hold corporate documents involving the newly established nation now known as "United Arab Emirates". Originally they were some of the "Trucial States". I worked in Indonesia when only 10+ years prior, the Dutch were still there (They left Iranian Java as recently as 1963).

Advice; Master personal health and hygiene matters. Next: develop and maintain quality "contacts", knowledgeable people who(m) you can depend on even if only by telex.

My favorite country: Singapore. A close runner-up: China. My hobby is history so I've liked working in Burma because of its WWII role. Names like Generals Slim and Stilwell get me these places. The Asian NIS - Newly Independent States, the "stans" are slowly becoming part of China.

I note you're 23 yo. I'm retired. If I was starting out in 2019 or 2020, I'd be researching how to move to and get gainful employment in Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada. "Where one can live, one can live well." Anon.

"What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Rushin

16. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    nope, only been abroad twice in my life, to Canada and to France, I don't even have a passport anymore, plenty to see in this country still.

17. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Growing p as a military brat, I have traveled more than I ever wanted to. I did spend a few years in Japan, in the 60's and loved the people / culture. Not sure I would now. Done traveling.

18. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Only in flight simulator. LOL Been around the world five times, landed on all 7 continents, and numerous countries. I also go on Google Street View and see the places I fly to in the game.

19. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    As a navy brat and an ex-sailor I have traveled extensively. I have also been to every state except Hawaii.

20. pacmantacman

pacmantacman Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    I would concur that the best advice is to just go. Do it! I would also say that research only gets you so far. You learn a lot more once you get boots on the ground. If you can have local contacts and guides so much the better.

21. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have been to Europe a half a dozen times. Spent most of my time in the Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany. Virtually all business travel.

I have been in 42 of the 50 States, and traveled extensively in Canada and Mexico. Taken one cruise of the Western Caribbean which I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't think I have hit 15 countries, but probably at least 10.

I agree with Pacmantacman. Just go. Traveling is a wonderful adventure, and a fantastic way to learn. My advice, be polite, be open-minded, and willing to try new things. Try to speak the language. You are a guest. Wherever you go they are allowing you to visit. Be respectful. Keep your eyes and ears open, and your mouth shut. Learn all you can, and enjoy it.

22. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I've lived in three countries: Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, and the Republic of Palau back when they were United Nations Trusteeships, and visited there since they became independent. See 'em here. Also Japan (worked there for six months), South Korea, Vietnam, Philippines, Canada, Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Gabon, and some other places that were either little more than stopping at the airport or someplace we didn't talk about. Plus, I've visited all of the United States with three exceptions: Alaska, Maine, and Nebraska.

I liked to travel and still do but a pension and social security don't allow the same freedom as a good job did! Dawn and I have two more bucket-list places planned, if we can avoid the Reaper's clutches and our savings hold out: Chile/Argentina in 2020 and Kenya/Tanzania in 2022.

Lots of "adventurous" young people sneer at tour groups, and prefer to go free-style, sort of like hitch-hiking across Europe or something similar. I'm not a big fan of tour groups, but if do go without one, it makes sense to actually plan out an itinerary and stick to it, making a budget and keeping to it, and avoid acting like an ass-hole when it comes to foreign laws, customs, and mores. Also, unless you have more gonads than common sense, avoid travelling to a place where no one speaks your native language or you don't speak theirs. If you're an English speaker, most of Europe would be fine. My wife and I are fortunately bilingual, but we won't visit a place unless it was English- or Spanish-speaking.

If you like to travel, I'd recommend doing so while you have the chance, especially if you're single or married without kids. All too soon, your life will get in the way, and you'll end up in your eighties sitting on the porch of the Old Folk's Home sucking your gums and being bitter about not having gone. Remember the old saying: Zu früh alt, zu spät schlau!

23. Photon Guy

Photon Guy Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    Well I haven't been to 15 countries but I have been to all 50 states. Aside from that I've been to Canada, Mexico, England, Wales, Germany, Norway, and Denmark.

24. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Courtesy of the US military I’ve been to 32 different countries if my memory is correct. Mostly in central and South America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East. I’ve not step foot on the African continent. I’m glad all that fun, travel and adventure is behind me.

25. Photon Guy

Photon Guy Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    You can never have too much adventure.

26. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes you can, trust me!!!! Calm, cool and staying collected works for me.

27. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    3 countriesinNorth America, 7 or 8 in Europe, 3 in SE Asia and a half dozen in Africa. By land, sea and air. Brought up military, served military, pleasure and Christian ministry work. People are people.

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  28. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    When I lived in McMurray back in the 60s it was fairly remote and isolated. Now it’s just another overpriced small city at the nd of the highway. The places I used to hunt, fish and run dog teams have all been absorbed by urban sprawl

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    You have no idea how many times I have prayed to have just ONE boring day...just one. Too much "adventure" can wear a person slap out, as many of you already know from personal experience, lol.

30. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Innkeeper,

Had just welcomed you to the forum. Recently here at forum, had mentioned Fort McMurray development.

As much as preparedness and survival involves geography, it is really about adaptability, ability to relocate, max mobility - and the required physical and psychological adjustments.

"Where one can live, one can live well." Anon.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    oh I wholeheartedly agree with that concept. I have been tiny village to major metropolis so I understand the need to change and adapt.i guess Iwas simply lamenting the deterioration (from my perspective) of Fort Mac. It isn’t the haven for big money and outdoor living it once was

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.