Are You A Fighter or a Flighter?

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by Jea, Jun 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    " he(or she) who runs away lives to fight another day"!!

2. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It really depends a lot on the person Lonewolf. Most of my life I'll tell you that I've just been to big to try and fly. I learned that if you run from any predator they will chase you. This is true of dogs, Wolves and bullies. I'm not a marathon runner so I would rather fight first than let them run me until I'm worn down to nothing and then just beat the hell out of me. I quit running in kindergarten when a second grader chased me down and beat me up. The next time he tried it I ended up chasing HIM after I busted his pointed little nose! They tried to make it out like I was a bully but that was fine. I didn't have to fight again for almost 5 years after that.

One of my best friends was FAST. He broke into under 10 seconds in the hundred yard dash and under 5 minutes in the mile in the ninth grade. I used to say he was so fast because I had been chasing him since the first grade. I never fought but then chasing him was just a lost cause. I will say that he never took the beatings that I did a few times but he was running all the time and I only had to fight about 4 times in school. I think we both felt like our way worked best. I didn't win all my fights but nobody that I fought ever wanted to fight me again. I wasn't BAD but the bad left me alone.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There's times to live to fight another day. Not me. In life, I have perpetually bitten-off more than I could chew. For some unknown reason, I'm still here. I guess I'm still here. And people I've loved, men and women, aren't. I'm standing on a mountain, it's misty, fog all around, the clouds are actually below me. Here I am. I figure that I'm alive, but not really so sure. Why can't I see my dead? I talk to the living -- I assume they are the living. I've called out their names, the dead, and they do not answer. Or maybe they have; they were in the fog, in my dreams. I've seen their eyes. It simply isn't enough. The constant ringing in my ears protects me from the quiet.

Radar likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've been in a few fights in my life, I was set upon regularly in school and had a few scraps in adult life but I have tended to use situational awareness most of the time and avoided situations that might have turned bad otherwise.
    because of the way I look, 6ft tall, big, beard and long hair, people mostly avoid confrontation with me and go the other way, one person even tried to throw themselves through a shop window one time just to avoid me and I hadn't even said a single word, just minding my own business!!!

Radar likes this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Being big does make life easier. My best friend when I was a kid was 5' 3" or 4" and he was always in a fight proving to himself and anyone that doubted it that he was just a tough as anyone. Being big I managed to avoid all that once I got most of my size. By the time I was 14 I was big enough that nobody much wanted to mess with me. In general this allowed me to be a pretty peaceful person.

Old Geezer, I can see that mountain myself. I'm not on it yet but I am only about one death away from it. Being old isn't really about how many years you have lived. It is more about how the wear and tear that those years have put on your soul that make you old. I was older at 17 than I am now though.

I'm just too hard headed and dumb I guess. I would rather fight than fly and then have to live on knowing that I could be a victim again anytime someone wanted to threaten me. A coward dies a thousand deaths but the valiant only die once willingly rather life without honor... It was the way I was raised....

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    poltiregist likes this.
  6. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    Probably a flighter. So often it is far wiser to not fight. Yet there are times its is required to fight.

7. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    In a S.H.T.F. situation I will be hunkering down at but not necessarily in my survival retreat . If there is a problem they will have to bring it to me . Me and my entire group will be armed and prepared to kill if necessary . Any survivors of a looter group may find themselves the hunted with my bloodhound and some experienced woodsmen on their trail . There will be no running away for me . I have a twelve year old grandson that can't walk living with me " cerebral palsy " .

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I am a "Hider". Even as a very young child, hiding was my specialty.

TMT Tactical, Radar and Sonofliberty like this.
  9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Will fight to buy time until flight. Will likely not remain here.

If I see a SHTF event(s) heading-in and no one is panicking, then I will head back to my home state immediately. Will take supplies with me to family and friends. I will not be traveling any interstate or major state highways. I will travel smaller routes (I scout such routes). Should I get trapped in transit, I will be in amongst my own Southern Appalachian people, i.e. my own culture. Though not at home, still would feel at home, plus they will not see me as some Yankee outsider. Should they need help, I'd feel like I was helping my own.

I will give all cities wide berth. Heading through some small towns will be unavoidable, but I'm a small town kind'a guy anyway, so no bother. Will be taking pay-off items/barter that some folk, including deputies, may take so that everyone stays happy and no lead will need be exchanged ... save in barter.

If I have time, I could even bring some young men up from home state to aid me in moving. I'll likely be forming a small armed group anyway, so why not start early. Traveling in convoy is the safest methodology. Remember to stock walkie-talkies. I'm an old man now, therefore my purposes of preparing are NOT just for me and my wife. My purpose before God is that of enabling younger generations. Besides, without a clan, you are dead already. I'll be the gray-beard, the memory bank.

TMT Tactical, Radar and poltiregist like this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hiding is not flying. It is just putting off a fight until you are in a better situation to "deal" with the problem. If you see a fire and walk away from it that isn't running either. That is just being smart enough to not run into a fire.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  11. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Same here. I was always very good at being still and silent. Even now when I play paint ball, I have had guys pee within 5 feet of me and never know I was there until they got shot in the back.

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  12. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm pragmatic.

My mission governs my actions.

If it's GOOD, I'm leaving ASAP if not sooner !

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    it depends

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  14. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    My favorite tactic. I have no honor in fighting. Back shooting works just fine for me. If I can take out the bad guy at 1,000 yards. long before they see me, so much the better.

I am a fighter. I could not run ten paces before being out of breath. Only option is to hunker down and fight it out, if I have cause.

Sonofliberty likes this.
  15. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I would agree. The situation will determine my action. If it is just me I would try to avoid the conflict, and fly. If friends or family were threatened then it would definitely be a fight.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.