Are You Affected With The Ransomware Virus?

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by iamawriter, May 17, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    many of the computers used by our British national health service have been affected, some operations and other procedures have had to be cancelled until the data can be retrieved, that was last Friday, haven't heard anything since.
    not just here or in the states, I've heard about 100 countries have been affected.

iamawriter likes this.
  3. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    Good it did not affect you individually - same here.

4. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Not here, not yet anyway.
    I'm suspecting Radical Islam might have committed this offense.

iamawriter likes this.
  5. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    I am sure they will soon find out. Some are pointing a finger at N.Korea. They should be booked, whoever they are.

6. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    No, all of my machines, both at home and at the lab/office, are properly updated, secured, and hardened against such things. This particular outbreak sure is a nasty little brute, but like all malware, with the proper countermeasures one can be secure.

iamawriter likes this.
  7. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    There is a perpetual competition between virus and antivirus creators:)

CivilDefense likes this.
  8. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Isn't that the truth. To quote the Genesis' song "Land of Confusion", there are "Too many people making too many problems ...". Fortunately, the technology we have now makes a robust defense a reality. But there will always be bad actors doing what they do.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    iamawriter likes this.
  9. Eva.Ling

Eva.Ling New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Was not affected, heard that the virus has been halted for now?

iamawriter likes this.
  10. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    You have rightly said it - 'halted for now' The anti virus people have to be alert all the time as I did read somewhere that this is just the beginning and I quite believe that. It is a pandora's box that has been opened which has no end. But as long as there is vigilance all is well.

11. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    To be honest, I was kind of panicky when the news on the Wcry ransomware was being reported on tv. It was surprising to me because no one in the office knew about it. Usually we would receive a memo from the IT department (I work in the IT) about a new virus or malware. But anyway, it feels scary because your computer will be locked and you cannot use it anymore unless you pay the ransom so you will receive the unlock key codes. Frankly, viruses and its ilk are troublesome, they ruin our peace in the internet. I wish that the design of the internet would be revised so that senders of anything, be it email or virus, can be clearly identified just like a caller ID of the phone. That way, evil schemers will think twice because they can be identified.

iamawriter likes this.
  12. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    One should be alert about what one opens. Even if it seems from someone we know the language would not be the same. Then there are those sites that come out with attractive offers and those are the ones that contain the virus. I only open that which I am hundred percent sure. I have the Kaspersky anti virus that keeps me company as I am working on the pc.

13. Eva.Ling

Eva.Ling New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    If the world stopped posting incriminating stuff about ourselves on the Internet, there would be no need for viruses... :p

But that's how the world is today, isn't it? And we can't escape.

Ok, relating to a survival topic: what would happen if you were affected by the virus? How would you have 'survived'?

14. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I haven't been affected by the virus. Actually, I read that the "Dance of the Hillary" thing was nothing but a hoax - maybe now there actually is a virus like that, but it's probably a result of the news spreading.
    Of course there are other viruses like that, with other names... I try to always be careful when opening messages with links or files.

15. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    There is a restore option in our system that one can rely on. And ofcourse one is expected to take a backup of important documents any way Having said that why would anyone be affected by a virus if in the first place there is an effective antivirus downloaded?

16. Eva.Ling

Eva.Ling New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Most effective antivirus programmes need an expensive subscription. :(

Agree that backing up is an important habit to have. *thumbs up*

iamawriter likes this.
  17. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    I had no idea of this. This is surely a big issue. Has it been dealt with? We had no media coverage of this issue over here, or at least I have not seen any. Quite a scary thought that they have managed to empty ATMs

18. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I've heard about the ransomeware virus when the news of the attack went online. I wonder how it ends up in the end. Someone with the updated news should chip us in. I heard they requested payment through bitcoin before they can release the files and computers they hijacked. How did it pan out?

19. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    Many had to pay to get back their data. I am told the story is not over. They are at it again through some other method. It is not a comfortable situation at all specially for those who are responsible for data that belongs to others such as banks.

20. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I know there was a recent virus attack. I do not believe I was affected by it but it seems there are plenty of agenices that were. I saw on TV that hospitals are now doing drills how to continue to run their OR's in the event of a cyberattack since medicine like so much of everything else is run by computers. It is important to know how to do without them if need be.

21. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Some companies we work with have been affected, but our company has not, and I have not personally. Our IT department tries to be proactive to prevent issues, so far so good.