Are you preparing for a nuclear exchange?

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by CivilDefense, Jun 18, 2016.

Are you preparing for a nuclear exchange? 3 5 1votes
3/5, 1 vote

Tags:
?

Are you preparing for a nuclear exchange?

1. Yes! This is our primary concern.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but it is secondary to others.

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. No, not really.

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Not at all. I don't consider it a real threat.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:

LOL LOL LOL ...self -declared nuclear free zones..!!!??

Is that in likeness to a Sanctuary City???!!

Talk about waving a red flag!!!

I am thinking you are speaking tongue in cheek here.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes....as I recall...in those days they were designing a small nuclear reactor for use in the polar regions...Antartica.
    This accident killed off that project...and caused major safety design changes to existing reactors.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Watcher Chris;

There are common denominators to all this. Yes, self-declared nuc free zones have political resemblances to sanctuary cities.

Takoma Park, Maryland is a nuc free zone but we've still got the parking problem. The nearest parking space is Cheyenne, Wyoming. That's why I also suggested the other self-declared nuc free zone: New Zealand.

Air New Zealand to Aukland, rest up a day, then Christchurch on South Island. I do have to modify my theological studies and skip intro classes at some places. A few weeks ago there was a mass shooting at 2 houses of worship in Christchurch. How can someone physically penetrate barriers and then cause disaster ?! Common denominators are present.

At least the murderer didn't use nuclear weapons.

There are common denominators present.

Perhaps a compromise: We all ron - day - voo at Cheyenne, Wyoming.

watcherchris likes this.
  4. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:

I am curious IBME. You were advised not to eat caribou for a year. What about the other game? Moose, deer, bear? What about the fish or fowl? Any warnings about those? I am just curious why the warning would be limited to one species? Any restrictions on water?

TMT Tactical, Sourdough and Caribou like this.
  5. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    An air burst on JBER (Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson) would probably flatten everything for a half mile radius. This is inadequate for an airstrip that is already flat. JBER, Anchorage Airport, and possibly Merrill Field will require ground blasts to decommission the runways.

Chugach Electric power plant is a good 4 miles from the runway at JBER so safe from the runway blast, but is a target in its own right as are any major power plants. A airburst would take out the plant and a larger area including the homes of many of the military personnel, some of which will be off base at anytime.

If they want to take out the Anchorage docks an airburst would do that but a ground burst would be longer lasting. If they take out the Anchorage docks then they will want to take out Whitter as well.

If your goal is to capture the resources of Alaska leaving the docks in place in Anchorage and Valdez would be prudent. If you wanted to deny America the oil just take out the pipeline and bring a mile or two of pipeline with you and you will be back up and running in short order.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Caribou

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Moose eat trees and water plants where caribou (except me) eat lichen and moss. A ground grazer is going to ingest more radiation than something that eats trees and bushes where the rain would wash the radiation to the ground. Water plants would be constantly washed.

Beef and other grazers were monitored for their radiation in meat and milk for years after Chernobyl.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  7. Caribou

410/460

Blog Posts:
    MAD has worked for us, so far. The hypersonic missiles are a first strike weapon and with the Russians and Chinese having them they must be considering a first strike being an option or why spend the money. If they can't imagine winning why strike first.

The other weakness I would consider about your statement is the moslems. If they can bring about Armageddon then their 13th imam will appear and they will rule the world. Self destruction is a positive outcome.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Most of this makes sense. I'm not so sure about water plants being constantly washed. Aren't the water plants in ponds or lakes? This is standing water. Other than rain or some other feeder system what will constantly wash those plants? How frequently does the water turn over in those bodies? I would think the fallout would remain for some time.

Do you know the results from the tests on the Chernobyl grazers? Was the radiation level high, and if so, for how long?

Was anything ever said about fish or fowl?

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Caribou meat was the only meat they advised not eating, including not even feeding it to dogs. Lichen is the primary food of Caribou, and I think it does not die over the winter, and so continues to absorb the long life fall out (that might be strontium 90).

I also remember that as the earth rotation would bring Alaska under the radiation cloud, there would be warnings to try and stay indoors. I am guess this was a daily thing for about two weeks. But.....they were measuring the cloud of radiation as it passed.

It was a fairly scary deal, because it always felt like you were not being told the whole truth about how bad it really was.

I kind'a remember something about wearing gaiters or taping your pants legs especially in Western Alaska, something about the dust.

Moose eat leaves, mostly from Alder bushes and Willow bushes, and also White Birch Tree leaves, and some aquatic plants, Lilly pads.
    In the winter they pretty much starve, they nibble on Birch tree bark, and the end tips of all the above mentioned trees and bushes.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Caribou

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Fish could be a problem but more likely in the ocean. A thin layer of radioactive dust lands on the land and on the water evenly. Rain will rinse it off the trees and shrubs where it will be washed into the streams or become part of the soil.

Trees and shrubs are cleaned after a bit of rain and are of little concern.

Water- In ponds it will settle to the bottom with the rest of the dust. A moose might get some on it's feet but it should mostly be rinsed off. Moving water should dilute it. " The solution for pollution is dilution." The fish might pick up some but in moving water probably not much.

Where I worry about radiation in fish is in the Pacific Ocean. Fukushima is still dumping radiation into the ocean. It is then eaten by the plankton, which are eaten by the little fish, which are eaten by bigger fish, birds, and mammals. They want to blame global warming but were that true we would see the same sickness in the Atlantic and the Med, etc. I picked up a meter to test my seafood.

Radioactive dust on top of grass, lichen, is ingested or inhaled by grazers. It may also go into the soil and become part of the plants as they grow and get ingested that way.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I gave up being overly concerned about nuclear war when I was no longer limber enough to put my head between my legs and kiss my azz goodbye.

12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    there are no winners in a nuclear war, we all lose, who wants to survive on a dead planet?

13. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    A related question:

What's the difference between preparing for a nuclear attack and a non-nuclear attack ?

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you MAY survive a non nuclear attack
    you WONT survive a direct nuclear attack

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Well radiation for one thing. I don't know if any other conventional weapons have the shear power of a nuclear bomb. With a nuclear bomb you will have a fireball; a shockwave; intense heat; and radiation that will kill for miles outside of ground zero. Residual radiation and fall out are well documented. Do you know what the kill radius is for a conventional weapon? I am asking. I do not know. My perception is that nuclear weapons are far more lethal than conventional weapons.

IMHO your bug in time will be considerably longer with a nuclear attack.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    fallout will remain in the ground for a long time, the fallout from Chernobyl reached as far as Wales and remained for many years.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Morgan,

No comparison of explosive force. Nuc wins by a large ratio.

No, I don't have info on a kill radius for non-nuclear ordnance. I do know there are now schools of thought holding that bio ordnance is more devastating than nuc.

18. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I would not disagree with that. Thankfully (?) delivery systems for those are problematic. If Bashir Assad will use them on his own people I'm sure they would have no issue with using them on us, and finding a way to get them here.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Just since no one has mentioned it yet, there's a lengthy Cold War era manual on nuclear war survival skills available here: https://www.modernsurvivalonline.com/Files/books/nuclearsurvivalskills.pdf

Old school survival stuff, before "Beans, Bullets, and Band-aids" many suvivalists gauged their preparedness level in terms of how much "time, distance, and shielding" they had.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. Caribou

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Did you catch the post about the gentleman that was within two miles of ground zero TWICE and lived to be 93?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a country the size of Britain it wouldn't take many missiles to bracket the whole country, even though I don't live anywhere near a possible target.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lone Wolf,

Stationery targets don't change locations. Mobile ones do.

For realistic, worst case events, Cardiff and environs could become a target. Who knows if Land's End, Wales becomes a supply depot for arriving medical equipment and related supplies ?

I am from the school of thought than weapons of mass destruction are exclusive to nuclear ordnance and the most devastating are biological. Thus, from my perspective, does your area have livestock, pets, wildlife, human trash wanderers...any of the creatures with blood streams and capable of serving as vectors for the dread viruses ?

You've exceeded all the common denominators for preparedness. Still, things change, to include the next disaster areas, the next debris fields - - - the aircraft flying from - to....it crashed over that place called Lockerbe, Scotland.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Land's End is to too far away from anywhere to be of much use to TPTB, I keep being told we are "in the middle of nowhere" and i'm not near Land's End- different county.
    most of the time the UK government ignores the south west of England- unless its an election year!!!
    I reside in a very low population area with no military or government targets.
    yes, sure there are sheep and cattle and wildlife here but is that worth a costly missile ? don't think so.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    My actual reason for mentioning prominent geographic locations like Land's End and Cardiff was for readers' focus.

My point is still things change.

It won't be a missile but a group of migrant refugees arriving from somewhere to the shores of southwest England an X % of 'em are infected with dread diseases like Ebola or influenza N_N_ or next number in scare series. They get mosquito bites and the mosquitoes relocate.

REAL military and REAL government targets are already hardened. Other places are not. Here, the situation is in worst shape than the populace knows about - or even cares about. We are working 24/7 to correct this but our efforts are only less than 3 years old. Only as recent as 7 June 2019 - repeat: 7 June 2019 - did skilled nursing facilities get the same status - and therefore $$$ - like acute-care hospitals. The point I'm making is that the new targets are not the old targets. We're just finalizing up a measles scare in the US northeast. It really is a scary situation.

TMT Tactical, Caribou and Morgan101 like this.
  25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:

26. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    lol lol lol lollll Pragmatist....LOL LOL!!!

LOL LOL...Brilliant....Just brilliant.

One of the aspects upon which we are trained in a nuclear spill response team...is prevailing winds. In what direction are the prevailing winds blowing..from where to where.

I am certain that nuclear fall out ...contamination particles going up into the Jet Stream will automatically know not to fall down on Tacoma Park, Maryland, metro-Washington DC and New Zealand......since these areas are ......"Self Declared Nuclear -Free Zones."

LOL LOL LOL....I feel safer already.

Oh...and yes...those experimental reactors were indeed at the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Lab in Idaho.

Ohh....same thing here.....mostly shetler in place...unless it happens while I am at work ...where we have better facilities..and or shielding for this kind of thing..

Ironically I've sometimes thought the best place to be should it happen...is in or close to a shielded Reactor compartment.

Thanks,

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lone Wolf,

I understand your view.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    By Pragmatist,

I would tend to agree with this assessment of Pragmatist.

This simply because of the gestation period of certain virus/disease....and also the more efficient manner in which people and cargos are transported today.

People can be infected with certain fatal diseases and then transported while the disease or virus matured in them in the gestation progress....while at the same time....they are being transported to their assigned destination to spread it.

People spreading your death and destruction via disease and sickness can be just as efficient as a nuclear device...and with less effort as most of these people are normally part of the scenery/environment....and have no problem navigating a territory....spreading the disease and sickness....particularly children...

I never thought about it until a good woman explained to me how much sickness children share and spread through the school systems....to be brought home to family.

And we have long since reached the point of scientifically engineered and devastating diseases as a weapon.

I dated two nurses in years back...and they both told me that as a nurse you are often handling patients and you never know what they have until properly diagnosed...but you have been around them..handling them for awhile before proper diagnosis.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If some cities get put on the barbie during a fusion game of tennis, well what the hay; Survival 101.

However should the festivities go large, then I'm right here with my chaise lounge and sun umbrella.