Are you prepping for your kids?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by ally79, Jun 12, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Are you prepping for your kids survival and a sense of normalcy? By that I mean do you keep a store of art supplies, papers, toys, books, and educational materials for your kids? We homeschool so I have all of this stuff anyway but I do keep extra. I also have a box of small toys and books that can be used to distract or as a small gift for special occasions if the SHTF. I think that is really important to provide kids with as much of a sense of normalcy as you can.

I also keep clothes and shoes for my kids in sizes ahead so that I know they are taken care of as they grow. There might not always be a Walmart to run to. :)

2. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:

My kids are all grown up and moved away with lives of their own. But we are preparing a kind of hub, where the family can come in event of a disaster. They have all been made aware that we are going to be at a state of ready. I do have grandkids, so this is a great idea.

3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I do not have children, but if I were to have children, I would want to make sure that they were knowledgeable when it comes to survival. I would want to make sure that they had the essential materials to take care of themselves in the future. They would also need to know different methods of obtaining the materials they need, without going to a retail store. It's important for children to be familiar with the different means of survival. When it comes to entering adulthood, it will be nice for them to have knowledge of how to survive on their own and what to do in a potentially dangerous situation. I don't plan on having children, but I do plan on passing my knowledge onto my little brothers and sisters. My mother is not much of a survivalist, but it's comforting to know that I might be able to influence my siblings.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My boys are grown men now, but yes we used to do all that stuff. No schools where we lived in the bush, so home schooling. They each had their own backpack & survival supplies, & they were taught survival skills. I dare say that my grandchildren will be taught in the same fashion when they are old enough to learn. We have mountains of books at home, so if it all hits the fan, the family will collect here to survive & the kids will have everything that my boys had.
    Keith.
    [​IMG] The boys loved this book, & I enjoyed reading it to them. We still have this book.

5. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    When preparing for the worst I think you should prepare for everything even though there might be no guarantees that you'll get to keep some of those extra things especially if an something forces you to leave abruptly or be unable to return home to get your supplies. Prep for the kids if you have them but make sure there's no trade-off between what you'll really need and the extra stuff the kids might need. What you'll need for survival comes first all the time.

6. Finman0507

Finman0507 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    It's a scary thought when you start prepping for your kids. To think something might go wrong some day. I do believe that it is important to be prepared. I am new in the prepping community and I'm learning a lot from this forum. I am a mom of two small kids and I need to start thinking about these things. They are my world and I want to prepare them for everything I can.

7. crmeche2

crmeche2 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    My kids are fully involved in everything we do. Yes, I want to teach them the necessary skills they will need, but I also want them growing up having the right value. Plus, it's a great way to bond with them. My daughters are constantly coming up with better ideas than the ones I've thought of.

8. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have three small kids and I think it is time now to slowly teach them the skills they need but in a way that does not scare them.
    It is definitely a good idea to have kids stuff around in case the apocalypse comes so they are distracted a bit but I also think they need to know how to survive especially if I am not there anymore (which i hope will not happen anytime soon). That means I want them to be okay and protected. They would need a safe place that they can always go to (right now we cannot say we have that because we only rent apartments but hopefully we an buy a small house sometime soon) and that they have enough food and know how to make their own food, etc.

9. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I always prep for my daughter. When she was a baby I used to stockpile formula even though she was breastfed because you never know. I donated them a few months before they expired.

MelissavdW27 likes this.
  10. MelissavdW27

MelissavdW27 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    This is such a scary thought for me. And honestly, no, I haven't prepped for my kids yet. With all that's going on in the world and especially in my country, I think that I should seriously get started on this. @Destiny you have such a great idea with the formula, my youngest is 8-months-old now and I'm still breastfeeding, so to stock up on formula never even crossed my mind! As for my oldest child (2-years-old), I'm definitely packing and prepping the essentials first before I will think about toys etc. Luckily she is an outdoors type of girl and would rather amuse herself with nature than with toys, that being said, she does have her favourite teddy that I should probably keep close by. Prepping for the kids...I don't even know where to start!?

11. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Ladies just so you know that formula is good way past the expiration date, think about it it is just dried powder in an airtight can, and it can be used for more than just babies. I am breastfeeding my 5 month old, but I have to exclusively pump for her since she won't latch (yes I have a manual pump for SHTF) and I probably have more than a years worth of formula here. Even if you don't need the formula for your baby you can use it for older kids and adults...look at the ingredients it is just vitamins and minerals that will be important for everyone. If I needed to give it to my older kids I would just mix it up and put some strawberry or chocolate flavoring in it. Don't forget to make sure you have LOTS of water stored to mix up the formula.

12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    nope.....no kids.