Are You Ready For An Adversary Shutting Down All The Infra Structure

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by arctic bill, Feb 6, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I am currently watching an Netflix show called spy craft. I recommend that you watch it. One of the programs deals with internet attacks from counties like Russia or china that i am lead to believe are far more advanced
    in it than USA. In Russia the government basically said to all the hackers working there to go ahead and make all the money you want But when we say attack some one then that you must do.
    So in 2007 Russia said attack Estonia and boy did they .
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_cyberattacks_on_Estonia.
    These counties have the power to shut down the electric grid, ground all aeroplanes, turn off water .
    shut down banking ,gas stations , I could go one for some time about what they are capable of.
    So am am asking you if every thing shut down are you ready for life without any support at all for lets say
    a month or two ?

spy craft
    The Gist: Spycraft is an 8-part docuseries, run by executive producer Maria Wye Berry, that examines the different ways countries have spied on each other and gathered intelligence over the decades. Different methods are examined in each episode, from poisoning enemies to “sexpionage” to good old covert operations

TMT Tactical, wally and Amber Wolf like this.
  2. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Arctic Bill,

In reply; for 2 months: Yes.

If the 2 month block involves a hurricane or forest fire, I'm still ready but my results of prepardness could be different than my above confident "Yes". It takes at least a small group to do the required stuff and there's no guarantee they remain healthy and present.

TMT Tactical, wally and Amber Wolf like this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    East European programmers and programmer-hackers are some of the best. Worked with company who used them as contractors. Met them. Smart. One fellow had the largest ego one could imagine; however, when he said that he could fix/write code, he wasn't just blowing wind (wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him ... and he was one big fellow). Smart, too smart. For money, some of these E.Eur engineers will do whatever. Met a couple (husband electronic engineering, wife s/w engineering) who'd escaped to Canada -- nicest people you'd ever want to meet (glad they were on our side). Russian felon sez to a person close to me, "In Russia, there are too kinds of people, sheep and wolves."

Here's the deal, most decent folk here in the States could never understand E.European / Russian bad guys. I wish people could understand the depth of this sort of darkness, because we have the same sort of monsters currently in positions of power in D.C.. There exists a "special" sort of evil and you do not want to get near. Dead souls. Brilliant walking dead.

4. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    The only things in my area that could get shut down is electric grid, internet and phones. Bring it. My electric grid goes down a minimum of 3 times a week now and my internet SUCKS!! Best you can get here is a 6 MB plan where as most places have 18 MB plans. The price I pay for isolation. LOL!

Dale

TMT Tactical, Rebecca and wally like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Lived decades with TVA power. Voltage levels fluctuated all over creation. Power outages were not as frequent as yours; however, I've never gone without having wood burning stoves, fireplaces, and kerosene lamps. Did I mention lots and lots of candles. Instead of a 3-dog night, we've had our two-dog / three-kid nights spent in one room with lots of blankets. As we get older, seems we are collecting more sweaters -- got one on now.

Old Geezer, Feb 6, 2021
      wally likes this.
  5. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    yes my main plan has always been to be ready to do without electricity, power and services with one small problem...my CPAP machine
    i have no idea how i will sleep without it...i can manage about a 20-30 minute nap without it but how long can i last doing that?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    lived for years off grid no power of any kind, no mains water only the stream and the bathroom was a hole in the ground, and I loved every minute of it, and would do so again in a heartbeat, but many over here would not be able to, which is why I say when the power grid goes down the die off begins.

A.J. and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. arctic bill

360/460

Blog Posts:
    may be get yourself a small generator or power inverter with solar panels and battery .

wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    My only connection to the grid is my satellite internet. So I guess I would miss chatting to the friends I've made on online. But that's about it. 2 months of grid down would not adversely affect my lifestyle at all. There would be a few changes, like I would ensure I have fully blacked out all the windows and turned off all the outdoor solar lights. No need to advertise I still have electricity. If I was super worried I would just turn off the solar too. No electricity really doesn't bother me.

9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    This thread touches on a dependency seen in our modern society that is downright sad.

Our society is a hospital patient in critical condition hooked to an I.V. line. Without the intravenous fluids, the patient will die. In the case of Western civilization, the I.V. line isn't fluids -- the line is electrical.

10. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Look around your community as you travel down the road and note how many have or don't have an alternative water source if electricity ceased to exist and consequently water stopped flowing through the pipes . We can imagine what life would be like in a few days . --- Gas powered vehicles would soon be out of fuel as gas pumps wouldn't pump thus driving to a water source would also soon be a no go .

TMT Tactical, Dalewick and Rebecca like this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most even out here are reliant on the mains, sewerage would also be a problem once the pumps stopped.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. arctic bill

360/460

Blog Posts:
    I am good on most stuff, but after a review i realized that i did not have any large quantity of cash money.
    i went to the bank today, This is one thing that was said on the show . ATM would be wiped out. Anyway i got some cash now both Canadian and American .

wally, TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  13. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/hackers-florida-water-supply/2021/02/08/id/1009162/

article date: Monday, 08 February 2021 08:19 PM

"Hackers broke into the computer system of a facility that treats water for about 15,000 people near Tampa, Florida and sought to add a dangerous level of additive to the water supply, the Pinellas County Sheriff said on Monday.

"The attempt on Friday was thwarted. The hackers remotely gained access to a software program, named TeamViewer, on the computer of an employee at the facility for the town of Oldsmar to gain control of other systems, Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said in an interview.

"'The guy was sitting there monitoring the computer as he's supposed to and all of a sudden he sees a window pop up that the computer has been accessed,' Gualtieri said. 'The next thing you know someone is dragging the mouse and clicking around and opening programs and manipulating the system.'

"The hackers then increased the amount of sodium hydroxide, also known as lye, being distributed into the water supply. The chemical is typically used in small amounts to control the acidity of water, but at higher levels is dangerous to consume."

14. arctic bill

360/460

Blog Posts:
    This is exactly what i was talking about , Good work old geezer.

15. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Old Geezer,

Is the article on hacking into a water system near Tampa about the infrastructure or really about too small of a town of ~ 15,000 for it's own water supply. Information technology is still expensive and I doubt that place has the skilled IT people and the budget to support what is needed. For comparison, Japan Air Lines has a much larger IT system than this Florida town and protects itself against hackers.

This Tampa community is just too small a place to have the needed economies of scale.

As an aside, am wondering what Central Command, McDill AFB ,nearby has for infrastructure protection. Will not ask about base security after reading about Andrews AFB, metro Washington, D.C. experiencing a "problem".

1. Old Geezer
      Hackers can hit any system that doesn't have profoundly robust fire walls. Size doesn't matter. Besides, our electrical grid is so vulnerable that if hackers hit several smaller cities simultaneously, then they can drag-down the greater system that provides back-up for the smaller entities.

Old Geezer, Feb 9, 2021
  16. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    China hitting India:

https://www.news18.com/news/tech/ch...a-in-past-5-days-maha-cyber-dept-2683591.html

Chinese going after U.S. utilities:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdof...yber-attack-on-u-s-utilities/?sh=4f8f6e5d6758

More state-controlled hacking

https://news.yahoo.com/suspected-chinese-hackers-breach-u-061223887.html

Here's the deal, hackers practice on smaller entities. Inevitably, they gather enough intel to guide them in major attacks when needed. So far, nobody has actually "shown their cards" in the hacking realm. Same thing with space-based weapons -- the superpowers say that they have no death birds in orbit. Sure! And I'm Santa Clause.

17. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    i actually started off as a computer programmer in the mid 80's. now i look at everything around us and whats going on and realize i no longer have a clue or what to do about it....sigh

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Where I live and was raised we lost out power fairly often. Now that I live out in the country when a hurricane rolls in and tears up all the power lines the power can be off for up to 6 weeks. When you are near the end of the line you are last to get power back. I am always ready, spring, summer fall or winter to have the power go down.

In the summer when ot is hot we sleep outside in tents. In the winter if it is cold we have gas heaters, wood stoves and just about every Coleman product ever made. For light were have lamps, lanterns and candles along with all sorts of battery powered lights. I always have 5 gallons of kerocine and 5 gallons of Coleman fuel. We also have a fireplace, a wood stove, a rocket stove so cooking won't be a problem. I am planning soon on building an oven.

We always have a good time when the power goes off and we get to pull out the stuff and camp and party in the yard. We invite our friends over and just have a big feed and hang out together.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.cisa.gov/sites/default/...tructure-Security-Resilience-110819-508v2.pdf

Good mrning Old Geezer,

The critical infrastructure is definitely undergoing a hardening.

What must be added is the changed US policy. Everything is not critical; some is more of a burden...worthy of sacrifice.

I can guess that Tampa-area small city of 15,000 constitutes a bunch of retirees and some minimal wage workers without adequate health care arrangements. To recall Margaret Mitchell's book title: "Gone With The Wind". The retirees can relocate inland into heartland America.

Changed USG policy can be seen elsewhere so as to allow viewing the difficult to see critical infrastructure hardening within fortifications. Much USG administrative type operations are relocating from the Atlantic seaboard. Much going westward where easier to protect against all perils and dangers. MCB Quantico's aifield is only 7 feet above sealevel. Is "written off" too strong a term ?

Puerto Rico is a good example.

I see stuff worthwhile to study at Mandalay Bay Hotel / shooting gallery, Las Vegas area.

I can guess the NYC and Chicago sewer systems are not being hardened, with or without USG support.

Private citizens who are not critical infrastructure employees or not members of the broader security establishment, will survive if in proper location and do not need subsidized housing, fuel and comfortable weather. Otherwise, a current photo for the obituary is desirable.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I grew up as a kid with power cuts so losing power is nothing new.
    where I lived some time ago was the end of the line for electricity and the main power lines were so old the power went off regularly.
    the first winter storms every year there are power cuts, lines come down in the snow or a fallen tree takes down the power line, but you should here the sheeple scream every time it happens.
    in a societal collapse the power grid going down is just an extended power cut, it may never come back on again but I can live with that.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lonewolf,

Interesting. My story is about parallel.

Can the planet continue to support human life configured in a civilization if no private citizen electricity ? We are here and, so far, there continues to be births even if not in expensive pediatric clinics a/k/a/ overpriced hotels.

If there was no civil aviation and someone HAD to get from Virginia to California, it can be done. It's been done before.

We can also look at the diminished health care aspects. It involves me. Transition to a better diet and stay hydrated. It's worked before and can continue to do so.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    human beings lived for thousands of years without electricity so it is possible.
    as for health, that has more to do with diet and lifestyle, if someone eats crap food they will have crap health.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    OK, so I'm the first generation of my family who was raised from childhood having electricity and indoor plumbing.

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    wife grew up in an off grid cottage, no electricity or mains water at all, lighting was oil lamps, heating and cooking was a wood stove and water came from a well which was hand pumped.
    I lived for many years off grid.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    re:Shutting down the police

Are you ready to defend your home / area after law enforcement agencies are defunded and their headquarters destroyed? Preppers have repeating rifles for this contingency; however, many urbanites and suburbanites are still without the firearms needed to drive off herds of redistributionists.

If you are still unprepared, maybe, just maybe, you still can find the repeating long-arm you need to protect your family (lever-action rifle, pump shotgun with mag capacity > 3 rnds).

26. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    We preppers just figure that one day the internet will be toast.

Most companies and most people have become dependent on it. Bad move.

Seems as if that loss of internet could just be around the corner.

https://www.voanews.com/a/us-allies...acks-could-reverberate-globally-/6446607.html

"The United States and its Western allies are bracing for the possibility that a Russian invasion of Ukraine would have a ripple effect in cyberspace, even if Western entities are not initially the intended target.

"'I am absolutely concerned,' U.S. Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco told the virtual Munich Cyber Security Conference on Thursday when asked about the chances of catastrophic spillover from a cyberattack on Ukraine.

"'It's not hypothetical,' Monaco said, pointing to the June 2017 'NotPetya' virus, engineered by Russia's military intelligence service, the GRU.

"The virus initially targeted a Ukrainian accounting website but went on to hobble companies around the world, including Danish shipping giant Maersk and U.S.-based FedEx.

"'Companies of any size and of all sizes would be foolish not to be preparing right now,' Monaco said. 'They need to be shields-up and really be on the most heightened level of alert.'"
    -------------------------------------------------

https://www.birchgold.com/news/cyberattack-internet/

"Consider for a moment the vast array of economic functions that are now tied directly to the internet, including the supply chain, retailers, information services and even the stock market. If vital pillars of the web were crippled for weeks on end, an economy already weakened by a year of covid lockdowns might not recover.

"So what does the internet power? Professor Matthew Zook of the University of Kentucky has a list:

• Communications (“Ham operators would be kings!”)
    • Banking and finance, including the stock market (“The gold bugs would be feeling very smug…”)
    • Transportation, traffic lights, airlines, some railways and ports (“The entire logistics industry would be in shambles.”)
    • Utilities: electrical grids and water (“I think sewer systems would still work…”)
    "For a high-level overview of the consequences of a total internet failure, Professor Mark Graham at Oxford Internet Institute offers this summary:

"'If the entire internet was shut down, we would witness an almost immediate global economic collapse. The internet is the nervous system of contemporary globalization. Explicitly digital interactions [like] core banking and payment networks, and so on. But then, even parts of the economy that initially seem relatively disconnected would begin to grind to a halt because of the fact that all contemporary societies rely on long-distance supply chains, and long-distance supply chains rely on the internet.' [emphasis added]

"Professor Graham continues, 'if there are two things that are guaranteed to cause chaos in the contemporary economy, it is an inability for food to be distributed and an inability for people to access money and the banking network.'

-----------

https://ncfacanada.org/world-econom...-will-collapse-the-existing-financial-system/

https://www.reuters.com/markets/eur...er-attack-global-financial-system-2021-12-09/

https://unlimitedhangout.com/2021/0...e-wefs-simulation-of-a-coming-cyber-pandemic/

TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    shut down the internet and all the infrastructure would collapse within days , its called "putting all your eggs in one basket"- very stupid, fine by me, I have lived without technology and will do so again , but how many could? interesting times ahead.

TMT Tactical likes this.