Article On Digging Ginseng

Discussion in 'Other Homesteading' started by Pragmatist, May 30, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    It is illegal to harvest ginseng in quebec, so many people did it that it is an endangered species of plant .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

Some really ancient ginseng won't readily be found where the public has access.

Consider a decent ginseng tea as a substitute.

I understand what you mean by "could walk talk".

Our species just won't get away with trying to deny our ultimate fate.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've not gone online yet to look up how long ago this started. I think maybe I started reading about this in the local papers in the 1970s. None of my kin dug them. My grandmother used country remedies and herbal medicines, but never did I ever dig it for her nor did she use ginseng as far as I remember.

The Chinese aren't just into "country medicine", they are superstitious beyond all reasoning. And for some whatever reason the men over there are always looking for something to bolster their manhood. Kind'a sad, if you ask me. Thus the killing of Rhinos for their horns.

In my neck of the woods it was ginseng and bear gallbladders. Yep, sh##-people would kill a bear just for its gallbladder.

Personally, I never knew about these goings-on, just read about it. I know that neither I nor anydangbodyelse from southern mountain regions would tolerate this sh##.

Lawdog might nab them, but such poachers best watch out for locals who might just be looking for some excuse to go open-season on some outsiders. If it is locals doing the damage, then the law is gonna have to locate and take out the trafficking people. They're not going to be able to get the folk who actually live back up in the woods without a whole lotta effort.

I loathe ignorance.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Conditions have to be right to grow ginseng successfully through plantings from seeds or roots . Eating a little ginseng root does seem to give a energy burst . A little goes a long ways .

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    TMT Tactical likes this.