Article On Ticks

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by Pragmatist, Oct 6, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://ocj.com/2020/10/enjoy-the-autumn-outdoors-but-watch-for-ticks/

Head Note: Carry tweezers.

Good morning all,

Article per ...

Even here in coastal Virginia, the nights are chilling down. I mention this to still keep alert re the ticks.

Ticks are still around here.

Had received some info from Virginia Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services re the Asian Longhorned tick.

Note term "Tick fashion".

Article has a link to a tick site.

Foot Note: Carry tweezers.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    you can buy a proper tick remover on ebay.
    dont wear shorts in long grass and you'll probably be okay.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Tweezers work but a proper tick removal tool are easier to use, less chance of leaving the head attached and are dirt cheap. I have a few, one in pocket FAK, 1 in main FAK, one on my keyring etc. I've found ticks on me when camping in the woods and in the army when training. I always check myself out when woodland camping, found them on me in the past. Always give your balls a good check, ticks love the nice warm moist environment.

4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We kids used our fingers to pluck ticks. We knew no better. Also we'd also put a lit cigarette to a tick to get it to back out a dog.

All of us remember when we as kids would put a fat tick on a rock and use a magnifying glass to focus the sun on it, take the tick to a boil and delight when it popped. Kids are easily pleased.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    used to find them on our old long haired terrier, they hang on the end of grasses and bushes waiting for the next warm bodied animal or human to come along.
    using a cigarette lighter on them only encourages them to dig in deeper.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Max,

A possible solution to ticks homesteading in certain delicate areas;

In olden times when doing some real field work, a solution some of the military and industry types was to wear white panty hose like a traditional nurse would wear.

It's not the healthiest for long marches and other sweat-producing events, but the ticks can't penetrate the garment.

We're still saturated with DEET and checking for ticks even more than washing hands nowadays.

So far, only had Lyme Disease once - and those creatures are all over this area.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I know a couple of people who got Lyme and one go was fine, back to normal quickly but it really zapped the other fella, took him months to really get over it.

DEET is good stuff but you get a lot of the save the whale types banging on about how bad it is, chemicals bla bla bal well get bit then, I'll take the DEET

8. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Ticks aren't too bad here at the house. Lived in Minnesota and would get a couple of the freaking things on me walking across the parking lot to the office. 30 yards and would usually get at least 2 or 3 off of me and it was all blacktop or concrete. When I went out in the refuge to work...LOL! easy to pick 50 to 100 off of me. Found a dead deer out in a field one day and couldn't figure out why all the grass around it was black. Until the grass moved. I hate ticks.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I actually found it amusing this past summer when we had the LITTLE S.H.T.F episode with the disrupted supply chain and panic over the Chinese virus . We experienced a hoard of fantasy preppers descending into our area with their bug out bags . They had no concept on how bad the ticks are here during the summer . I don't know of any of the fantasy preppers that lasted 24 hours . With the BIG S.H.T.F. episode likely to be in full swing next summer I am expecting a new hoard of fantasy preppers to be enjoying the ticks . --- Me and two more people drove over to where a group was reported on the news broadcast to be . We were hoping to get to see some folks walking around covered in brown ticks but the Government officials had already rounded them up and run the people off . So our entertainment was forfeited .

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    TMT Tactical, Dalewick and Rebecca like this.
  10. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    The ticks seem to peak in numbers around here in early summer. Every single time you come back inside you will pick a few off. A bit like Poltiregist I have found a bit of amusement listening to panicking tourists in the little town here when they find a few ticks on them. Not sure what they expected when walking through long grass.