Asean Addresses Food Problems

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, May 6, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pa...s-fight-death-spiral-food-export-restrictions

Good morning all,

Per ... It goes beyond Southeast Asia.

The lead sentence uses a(n) historic example to explain today's US problem.

Note "whereby fear becomes a self-for filling prophecy".

Didn't expect this to get published in a VOA article: "... consumers would rush out to buy staples as the virus forced many to stay home ..."

Malaysia remains Malaysia: "They didn't ban melon exports, just people's movements".

A "rice ATM" just won't work in the US....because.. well, there's a crime problem here.

Zero cost grocery stores are here in the US also. There is one in Richmond, Virginia. Once a week free shopping (not free to taxpayers) and heard now twice a week. I represented my NGO at a meeting at this place. These programs are opiates at best. The root problem is not addressed - and it's not food deserts.

Forget the relief and philanthropic initiatives - they're rackets for the most part. Decent governments can provide abundance. I've seen it work.

Without that "certain rice", American yuppies will suffer.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I wont read too uch into this article. That is only Singapore who were worried about their foods import, while the rest of ASEAN has enough for themselves. The only "food concern" has always related to condiment rather than staple foods. Most ASEAN countries importing both condiment, non staple, and staple to control domestic price rather than inability to domestically producing them.

Anyway I certainly doesn't need to worry about availability of rice & spices :D

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

When I read an article, web or pulp ... had mentioned this already here at Forum ...I look at publication, the headline and then when reading the article, I note the key words, terms and phrases used.

Articles are published for a variety of reasons and mostly NOT for news but for opinion molding, indirectly selling goods and services, etc.

Singapore's population is in good shape for food supplies. The place is a global shipping port and Spore has more FOREX than India. If, however, Johor Bakaru or Medan has food problems, Spore goes on preliminary alert.

Being next to the Spice Islands, I'd agree; no worry about spices.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Actually India has more FOREX reserve than Singapore these days. And Singapore FOREX came mostly from ASEAN business community who stashed their $ there, which is why back when I empty my account there the bank were so piss off to the point they put me in person to criminal inquiry :mad:. Thanks the devil they were bluffing though, because at the time I was ready to take rather extreme measures which involve "commandeering" someone boat.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good evening Varuna,

No, Singapore is well ahead of India. Yet, these statements cannot be "proved". FOREX is like military secrets. The reserves are secret.

Singapore's wealth is from global sources; not just stashed cash from some rich Asians.

I though Macao was the place to consider for banking. Spore and HK have different objectives not involving individual depositors.

Vacating Singapore in a boat without holding the sailing documents can mean problems. The crew of Rainbow Warrior, Auckland, NZ, if any still alive, can explain this.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Well those Greenpeace doesn't have my training & experience. And waving white flag or striking the colour isn't something I ever trained for (I'm not France)

TMT Tactical likes this.