Ash Water

Discussion in 'Going Off The Grid' started by randyt, Aug 17, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    In a recent thread there was talk of bleach water for cleaning and disinfecting. As was said preps don't last forever. I think or try to think in terms of sustainability. Preps are important but are a helping hand until processes are perfected.

At different times I have washed my clothes and dishes with lye water made with water and ashes. I leave the ashes in the water. Also I'm not talking a solution so strong it's take my fingernails off. I figure when the bleach runs out, ash water will have to do.

2. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    In terms of disinfecting your idea seems sound. But for normal laundry on moderately soiled clothing would the lye solution on it's own not hasten the wear and disintegration of the clothes? I have read that lye based soap from a historical perspective was very harsh. Clothing would possibly be a non renewable resource in many ways so preserving what one has for as long as possible may be wise.

Would adding oil to the lye solution in the continuation of the soap making process make the lye water less harsh on material?

TMT Tactical, poltiregist and randyt like this.
  3. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    that's a good question....

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  4. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical, poltiregist and Rebecca like this.
  5. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I also did a bit of searching. Seems you are quite correct. For dishes, clothing etc lye water is quite fine. The reputation of harshness comes from the old days of making lye soap for bathing when accurate scales were not available and often too much lye was added to the oils making a soap very harsh on skin.

TMT Tactical, poltiregist and randyt like this.
  6. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I didn't really know for sure. I have in primitive situations used it to clean my dishes and clothes

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Poor folk made lye soap using ashes and renderings. My S.Appalachian family did, here I'll go find a link. Like I could look in Foxfire stuff. Foxfire often is rather lean on details, let's look.

https://frugallysustainable.com/how-to-make-lye-soap/

https://www.instructables.com/community/Can-anyone-tell-me-how-to-make-lye-soap-from-ashes/

Looking for Foxfire screwed me.

I didn't check this above link out very well. You guys can, if interested in making soap. My lot put soap in the wash. Here's my grandmother's washing machine if I can find a picture of it again on the web, I've found it before.

Found a vid

Lye water + lard (renderings) + bit of salt = soap

howler, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  8. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    we made lye soap back when I was a kid, bear grease made the best, at least my dad thought so.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    with fat rendering cracklins. I haven't had good cracklins in years.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Let's try finding my grandmother's washing machine again. I got fascinated by all the different ways there are to do so. When my folks went small town, the took advantage of all the whiz-bang. If you've been "oh hell I'm gonna die" poor, then if something makes your life easier, hey you're gonna jump on it like a fox on a rabbit.

Here we go

400a9fc6ce5397b351d429d83c4a2be4.jpeg 400a9fc6ce5397b351d429d83c4a2be4.jpeg

Behind the washer were two big galvanized square with rounded corners tubs for wringing and rinsing.

400a9fc6ce5397b351d429d83c4a2be4.jpeg The wringer on my grandma's washer and tubs used a power takeoff from the electric motor. Get your fingers caught and the wringer would break your fingers.

11. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    thats cool. out in the barn I have a maytag gas engine but alas no washing machine.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Cracklins is fried streaked meat. It is a step-down from bacon.

You'd fry streaked meat and pour the grease on lettuce, thus the phrase "killed lettuce" or as the country folk would say, "kilt lettuce". That latter is what I heard as a kid. Nothing was tossed away. Pap et (ate) the squirrel brains. Bones to the dogs. Gone veggies to the compost pile where the worms worked and the night crawlers growed-up what got used for t'go a'fishin'.

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Bear grease, I don't know much about. It's renderings were used for special purposes. Like on a cap'n'ball revolver, you'd melt bee's wax and bear renderins for to seal the revolver chamber top after you'd set the ball down to the powder, grease goes atop the ball and prevents chain-firing / losing fingers or an eye. I've got my mom's dad's powder horn he used with his small-bore cap'n'ball rifle. Pap's dad carried a hawg's leg revolver due to an ongoing feud with one of his brother'n'laws. Whistling lead on sight.

I mean, it's all they had, hawg and bear renderings. Nobody raised sheep and you can't pasture cows save in the valleys or high pasture. I've hunted over high pasture. I mean where my folk lived in the mountains, goats would tumble down them steep hills. When figuring a shot, you'd have to take into consideration the angle uphill or downhill. Except atop the mountains or the valley down by the river. Maybe there you might luck-up a level shot, but nobody counts on luck. Hoping for luck, you'll starve, your ribs'll be showin.

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    When making your lye soap, DON'T use to much lye. As someone washed with it as a kid. It can be HARSH on the skin. Not to mention the backside.

Like Randy said, lard or bear grease. If you have neither go with raccoon or possum. Coon preferable.

Dale

TMT Tactical, Rebecca and randyt like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Coons and possums are nature's reservoirs of rabies. Other animals get rabies and die in short order -- coons and possums take their own good time to die, meanwhile they are infectious.

Old Geezer, Aug 18, 2020
      TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
    2. Old Geezer
      Coons, possums, and bats. Have rabid bat stories. They're not happy stories.

Old Geezer, Aug 18, 2020
      TMT Tactical and randyt like this.