Atmospheric Water Generator

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by Pragmatist, Feb 14, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Justin Baker and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Interesting article. I wish it had provided a few details into cost, and other requirements. Thanks for posting.

3. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    It's pretty much an air conditioner type unit that causes condensation on the cooling coils.

https://www.fromthegrapevine.com/nature/watergen-genny-home-cooler-water-thin-air

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    Water-gen has been in use since 2009. The concept is awesome, really, in my opinion! 4 cents per liter is the current running cost!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am familiar with HVAC condensation but none of my big package roof top air handlers ever produced that much condensations. Also not sure how this would work or how efficient it would be a desert (extremely low humidity) environment. So it operating cost is about $0.14 per gallon ( Electrical cost for us USA folks) and then add in the filtration costs. We are talking about 158 gallons per day for just the small (600 liter) unit. That is a lot of darn water. This might be viable for a small prepper group but I am guessing the cost is way above the budget for most prepper families. Still, I do like the concept.

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I can see it being of use to people that live in the desert country but it would make me awful nervous to bet my life on it lasting long term if the world goes sideways. Fortunately, most of the places in the US and all of it that is in the Eastern part of the country gets enough rain to keep you watered with only a little effort to gather that resource. Desert dwellers have very different issues than others. They shouldn't have much in the way of refugees entering their territory. Food and water are going to be a much bigger problem than people in other areas might have. Where I live finding water will be easy. Making sure that it doesn't kill me with water-born pathogens will be my problem. The same will be true in a different way when it comes to food. I will have little trouble putting in a garden that would feed my family. the problem will be protecting it from the many animals and hungry people that will want to steal it from me.

Along the lines of this condensation machine. I carry several flat dried out sponges in my kits. If you will get up before the sun in the morning you can gather enough water that nature has condensed for you in the form of dew to take care of you for that day. Try it, it is amazing how much water you can gather each morning. In an urban area, you could easily provide water by wiping off the roofs of cars. After the first morning, the water should be pretty clean too. I think that I could make something that would gather the dew for me. I have watched the water drip off of the steel roof over the porch in the morning and thought this.