Atoing A Knife?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Tom Williams, Sep 26, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes or no ? I say no.a hathet is a much better choice to me

2. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Blinks got me BATONING A KNIFE IS TITLE

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    bad use for a knife, a hatchet is much better.

4. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't do it, it will ruin your knife. I have done it alot in my younger days, and broke a couple of good moras. Last ditch option for me.

5. Woodsbum

Woodsbum Well-Known Member
      75/115

Blog Posts:
    In a pinch yes. Common practice, no so much. Right tool for the job and all.

6. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    If you have an axe then use the axe, if all you have is a knife then you'll need to use a knife. A quality knife will survive most abuse but it's not ideal to misuse tools.

7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    If all you have is a knife your preparedness is lacking if you work in office or factory where ever somewhere there you should have a kit to get too when needed

8. kevy39

kevy39 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Definitely a hatchet. Why spend all that time sharpening a knife to use it this way. Only an option if it’s the only option.

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    don't be left with just one option, 3 is 2, 2 is 1, and 1 is none.

10. kevy39

kevy39 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I don’t intend to. Thanks for the 3 2 1 advice. As I have the skills and tools to make almost what I need the 3 2 1 doesn’t concern me. Good advice though

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    It actually depends on the knife. Batoning is a great way to make kindling for starting a fire. A hatchet is OK and maybe better for bigger things but splitting precice small sticks is better done by batoning. The big thing is that you don't baton Stainless steel knives. My 1095 and 1055 carbon steel knives are great for this. Batoning to split wood is common a froe is made for that. I like my Kukri. It chops better than a hatchet most of the time and is great for splitting with a wooden baton.

It's like a lot of things and if you use a tool for things that it isn't made for you damage them. You don't pry with screwdrivers but they make pry bars that look a lot like screwdrivers that are nice. Different steels and different tempers and treatments. A knife with a spring temper works great for batoning.

Know your tools and what they are made of and you can get a lot more out of them.

12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    People are bad about standing still while you baton a big carving knife into their head.

Use an ax or machete. Seems the machete is really catching on in London.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2018/04/15/machete-attack-every-90-minutes-gun-free-britain/

Back in 2015 British police were calling for a ban on machetes
    https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/437336/Machete-incident-Fusilier-Lee-Rigby-Zac-Evans

And then there is the matter of "zombie knives"
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37080682

Me, I say, "Ban files!"

Think about it; with a file, anyone can take a section of thin metal and sharpen it! This is totally unacceptable! Again: Ban files!

Oh by the way. For clearing brush and smallish tree limbs I love my short axe, Kobalt Dayton axe.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Forged-Steel-Dayton-Axe-with-34-in-Fiberglass-Handle/3711312

Keep your axe sharp or it will glance off and potentially hurt you. I also love my steel toed boots. Baseball catcher's shin guards can also spare you blood loss.

13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I honestly don't think that people can understand that people that want to harm others can not be prevented from doing so by banning or registering weapons. You can take a mop stick sharpen it and just kill the hell out of someone. There are only two truly effective ways to keep someone from harming others. Arm and allow good people to protect themselves and even more important when someone tries to kill or do serious harm to another person lock them up and throw away the key. Why do they REWARD a killer for being incompetent???? Giving a thug 5 years for attempted murder is just stupid and means that he gets to try to do better next time. Castrate rapists and do the same to murderers before you release them. At the very least you will prevent them from breeding that way.

14. perkin steel

perkin steel Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    The task you perform through your knife depends on the knife you have, so do for what it is made for.