Attack Dog

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by poltiregist, Mar 7, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    With the unstoppable corona virus likely coming to all parts of the planet , when food supply runs out as we see the shortages increasing , bands of looters will likely come upon the scene . Do you have a attack dog waiting for the looters ? What kind of dog do you have and how bad is it ?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a pit bull / mountain cur cross . That is one bad dog . Honestly I didn't want the dog but ended up with it anyway . Nothing gives it more joy than to attack and when it does it ain't playing it is going in for a kill . It has returned home more than once covered in fresh blood . Of course in case of looters I would have it's back with gun and lead . To finish things up I have my bloodhound to trail down any escapees .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I have what will probably be seen as stupid and unpopular opinions on this topic but here we go LOL I have a lot of dogs. Yes I have prepped for their long term survival along with mine. Yes there are pros and cons.

They are all mixed breeds I rescued off the streets in Africa. IMHO they are stronger...their ancestors already went through survival of the fittest in some of the worst places possible. In South Africa they provided security when I was on the farm alone and they will do that again here in SHTF. I wanted fiercely loyal dogs. I never socialized them for a reason. Do not come here and stick your hand where it doesn't belong. I have warning signs everywhere for this reason. These are not dogs you take to a park and let children pet...ever. I am very careful not to let people near them in good times to avoid legal problems.

The most dangerous to strangers is the GSD cross Chow. He is not friendly to anyone out the immediate family putting in mildly.

Most useful for hunting is the greyhound. The locals in SA breed them to hunt not race. And they are very good at it.

There are others. They are a pack and I will back them with guns. If I end up going through TEOTWAWKI as a lone wolf survivor this is my team. Currently they are just beloved pets. With an attitude LOL

4. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    All I have is 38 Grizzly Bears. And seven Wolves. But the most dangerous is the cow Moose. Especially this time of the year, all the moose are dangerous.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  5. Rebecca

315/345

Blog Posts:
    You win the security animal contest :D

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  6. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I'll tell you something interesting.....that is hard to believe. A few years back I ran a fairly large flock of geese, these were big geese, their head was even with my belt buckle. They were wonderful animals. There was generally around 20 to 30 head of geese, and they attack as a total flock. When a bear would enter the yard, they would charge after it or them (if there was several bears) and they would scare the bears away. Geese are very loud......I mean really loud, and 20 or 30 make a tremendous noise.

And nothing could surprise them, I don't know how they could hear or see anything entering the yard, but what ever they were doing they would instantly stop and charge anything or anyone that entered.

The geese were 100% bluff. And if and one or anything would stop and come at them, they would instantly retreat.

Sadly, there was a single wolf that was not intimidated. That wolf would come every three days and take one goose. The wolf would carry the goose a little over a half mile to where it would eat the goose. Always took the harvested goose to the same location to eat.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    poltiregist, TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  7. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Sourdough,

As an aside, ...

In some of the less developed areas of China, geese are used instead of guard dogs. Like you mentioned: the noise.

The philosophy is that the geese noise alerts the Chinese guards and they respond. This is more economical than dogs.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    And when that dog messes with someone that is infected it will bring it home to you. I have two acres that are fenced. On that we have three big border collies, one Rhodesian ridgeback/dachshund mix, on Fox Terrier, three cats and running the show is a Yorkie. Their job is to let us know if there are intruders nearing the property. At that point, I will handle it. I will sic a lead cur on them.

I'm not big on vicious dogs. Eventually, they are going to go after a kid or someone that they shouldn't or turn on their masters. I have known several people that have had their Dobermans turn on them. Dobes can be good pets but if you allow them to be aggressive or make them mean they don't seem to be able to control it and eventually you will do something to trigger them. Pitbulls are wonderful dogs for pets and don't inherently be vicious. the problem with them is that if you allow them to be aggressive and they go after someone you are not talking about a dog bite. They are massively strong and their heritage from the bulldog is that once they attack the stay on it until they are pulled off or their prey is down and out. There really are not many bad dogs but unfortunately, there are a lot of bad owners.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. Rebecca

315/345

Blog Posts:
    My dogs all sleep indoors with us. There is no point leaving them outside to get shot by those looters Poltiregist was talking about. A lot of people in SA keep their guard dogs inside at night because otherwise they will be poisoned or shot and the bad guys come in anyway, and that's a policy I have also adopted. So when the idiots are kicking in doors or climbing through windows they are also facing down a heap of annoyed dogs and armed owners. Unfortunately the reality is a 22 will nice and quietly kill dogs left outside in bad times. I know people who have lost dogs this way. They were home and never heard a thing. But dead guard dog.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have often thought about getting some Guinea fowl for security. Guineas, Geese and Peacocks are extremely territorial and vocal if anything intrudes into their area. That is all that I want from a security animal. Alert me and I will handle it. You are right I used to sleep really well with my 125-pound malamute husky in the house at night.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The United States Military designed and implemented a suppressed .22 Rim Fire pistol for exactly that application.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A commercially available subsonic 22 LR round fired from a rifle makes so little noise that it will go unnoticed at night. My 1000fps pellet rifle makes a lot more noise.

Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I believe that many farmers in VZ, lost their guard dogs /animals, due to the scum bags poisoning them or shooting them. When the food starts to run out, guard animals will not be able to protect the crops or the family. For less than $40.00, you can build your own 22 LR suppressor. The tax stamp will be a distant worry once is hits the fan.

14. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Rebecca and I are working on the same page . My two dogs also sleep inside our house at night . If the situation becomes bad enough to warrant it me and the attack dog will be hidden in the brush , sleeping near the milk goats guarding them . Those goats would be critical in teotwawki . A starving family may be desperate to obtain one .

Sourdough, Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Our 70 lb. dog barks when anything is out of order in its universe. If someone trying to break in got through the door, the dog would bite them ... as the security system was alarming.

I have grabbed my wife's arm in front of the dog. The dog bared its teeth and began to come for me.

First perimeter is the electronics; second, the dog; third, firearms. The odds that law enforcement could get here on time to protect my family is zero.

A leftist opinion-columnist for the New York Times wrote, "It is our duty as citizens to be loud and observant victims."

Such is the belief of those who get on the trains.

I do not concur.

Death before dishonor.

While the dog has its teeth sunken into the inferior, I will be pumping lead into the two-legged savage.

No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy. No mercy.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    poltiregist likes this.