Attention All Members!

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Keith H., May 3, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    As you may know, we have been trying to contact the Administrator of this forum in regards to some problems we have had. So far we have had no contact with admin. Therefore we are for the time being assuming that something has happened to the admin & he is unable to contact us.

As moderators, we only have certain powers & very little knowledge of how this particular forum works. So please be patient, apart from not being able to access the blogs section, everything else seems to be working fine.
    Regards, Keith.

2. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Interesting...........There seems to be an epidemic of vanished "Administrators". At least in forums that are geared towards Prepping and/or Survival.

The Administrator of "Survival Magazine" forun totally vanished a year ago.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  3. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    1. CountryGuy
      You do know that goes back clear to 2001, that's 18 years ago.

CountryGuy, May 3, 2019
      Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Is the server for this site on/within the physical property of the admin?

In what country does the server reside?

I take it that no one else has admin privileges to that server.

Is the server owned by the admin, or is it a property of a business organized under the name of the person who is the admin? Should the admin be in a health care facility such as a hospital, or should the admin have become deceased, into whose control falls the server for this site? It would appear that the latter knowledge is not available, true? Obviously no one has contacted you.

Are there any financial and technical mechanisms available which would allow transfer of control over to an individual in the position of being able to take on the role of being the new administrator? Is it known that some other individual is willing to take on such responsibilities, were that situation to become a reality?

Is it physically & financially possible for one of the moderators to travel to the location of the administrator's residence or business offices? Can a person with whom you are familiar and is trustworthy in character be deputized to take upon this task of journeying to scout the situation?

This site poses no threat to society or government, therefore I personally see no motivation to do harm to the administration of this site. Our government would more likely protect the site so as to gather intel on us members were they to imagine us some sort of threat (what a joke!).

I've come to enjoy this site and am troubled by the current set of circumstances. Think about the tremendous amount of technical information it is that is on the site's server! Here I've learned many survival "tricks-of-the-trade".

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If there was anyway of contacting the admin I would have already done so. There is I believe only one American resident moderator on this forum. There is no contact information available for this admin other than PM on this forum.
    Keith.

6. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Eerily reminiscent of the website I came from to here.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  7. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    I am hoping that this is just a coincidence that two forums have gone through similar oddities...but still, it is hard not to be disturbed...OK, creeped out.

8. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

I did a little digging...

It appears this site is on the godaddy.com servers but the owner’s name and other info has been made private by using GoDaddy's proxy service:

https://www.whois.com/whois/mysurvivalforum.com

Administrative Contact Information

Name: Registration Private

Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC

Street: DomainsByProxy.com

14455 N. Hayden Road

City: Scottsdale

State: Arizona

Postal Code: 85260

Phone: +1.4806242599

Fax: +1.4806242598

Email: cbd484dfb6012fc11d2de9e811524f12.png @domainsbyproxy.com

Keith, I’m thinking that if you or another moderator sent an email to mysurvivalforum.com@domainsbyproxy.com, it will get forwarded to the owner. (Of course, it remains to be seen if the owner is in a position to see it or respond...)

Here’s more info about Domains by Proxy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domains_by_Proxy

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Big help, thanx much!

I've had computers rammed up my six-O'clock since the early 70's. Must continually use them, but I am at heart a Luddite. Mother Nature is infinitely complex and as multidimensional as are our minds. We can't understand mind, our own mind, what we humans can understand is nothingness, 4-dimensions ÷ infinity. Computers are simply complex Rube Goldberg devices built of digital dominoes, J-K flip-flop doo-wap. Let me be out in nature's Divine Beauty, give me that which is without limits.

I have turbo-IQ friends who are just this side of having Beautiful Minds. I'll discuss this info with them or a son. Maybe they'll help me to discover more. ???????

10. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I sure hope so!

The owner of the other place where a lot of us newcomers came from also vanished.

That forum (what is left of it...): https://survivalforum.survivalmagazine.org/

(BTW, there seems to be a brand new member in there posting his head off... some are suspecting that he is Gunkid by another name. Google dat and be amazed. I think he might be the most banned poster ever.)

11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i tried to contact admin back along using the PM system the only point of contact available but no reply was forthcoming.

12. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Here is my "Wild'ass" Guess...........I think that thousands of forums have been purchased by a couple of Companies/Corporations, in the last few months or few years.

I think or suspect that these companies employ some Administrators, and they are each responsible for the Administration of many-many-many forums.

My guess is that unless a forum they are responsible for (Administering) gets "Hacked" or "Crashes"..........they stay in hiding. This reduces the cost to the corporate owners, ups their profits.

My further wild'ass guess is that these companies know this whole "Forum Thing" is a rapidly expiring novelty, that has a very short profitable life, and is being replaced by the social media evolution by Facebook and Twitter, etc. which are soon to be replaced with some newer wizz'bang social "Distraction".

My further wild'ass guess is that the "Oligarchy" controlled world government Intelligence Agencies have substantial ownership, and covert control of these entire mind manipulating (covert propaganda) and data extracting systems.

13. CountryGuy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    In one of his posts I asked if it was and he sort of cryptically said yes I felt. Something about who else could provide this level of info. Freaking little butt pirate and his tactical wheelbarrow need to go back to prison. He spreads so much non-sense it's dangerous to the newbie that doesn't know better and thinks this moron is switched on. I think the other day it looked like he'd made 40+ posts in one day. I did msg Buggy over there in hopes if he checks in he might resolve things.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think we want to get involved in another forums problems, that's their business not ours.

15. CountryGuy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm thinking, as I've mentioned before, that forums and blogs are withering up and blowing away in large part to peoples attention going to more of social media, be that facebook, twitter, etc. If you look at a lot of the sites and companies that have been in this "market" in the last 10 years a load have come and gone. For many it was a quick money maker when interests in prepping and survival jumped up with interest over things like the 2012 Mayan thing, all the fad with the Doomsday shows and the fear mongering ads many used to try and scare people into buying their crap to be "prepared". The fad is over, interest has waned and the money flood has stopped. I'm sure some will keep the site on the back burner simmering should interest stoke up. It seems a bit of that has happened recently in the UK with concerns on the Brexit situation.

Writing this made me think about a site I used to be around quite a lot. In fact I just popped over while writing this to check on it, Backwoods Home. Think I'll try to start stopping in there to follow up and check the forum. Theirs used to have a solid base of people and knowledge and you can subscribe to their mag but you can also buy their anthologies that go back like 20 years! A year back or so they had ceased publication in favor of a new mag they launched. I sort of wandered away around that time figuring the forum would drop away but now that they have restarted the publication it looks like it never went away. It's not a "survival" site per say but it is heavy about homesteading and the activities involved with that from gardening and animals to food preservation, self-sufficiency, self-defense, etc. They always had excellent contributors like Jackie Clay, Massad Ayoob and owner/ publisher Dave Duffy and others.

1. CountryGuy
      I mention that site only as an additional source of solid info that some of you all may have interest in or already were subscribers in the past.

CountryGuy, May 4, 2019
  16. CountryGuy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    wasn't the intent more of a word of caution if he shows up here. You all are lucky if he hasn't as he has a reputation of trolling gun and survival sites and being a complete PIA.

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if that happens I will deal with it as I do with all trolls and spam on this site.

18. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    That forum has been slowly dying for a couple of years now.
    They got rid of the administrator and I think there's only one moderator.
    There were maybe 10 "active" users the last time I checked.

Forums are a dying entity.

19. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Thing is, it is still going on. Top scientists in many fields but especially microbiology, are dying under mysterious circumstances.

20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have owned and operated or moderated on several boards. One of the things that I have done in the past when faced with similar problems is to set up a "storm shelter". That is a place like the old Yahoo free groups so that in the event over the board just disappearing that the members could gather there and possibly set up another board. I feel that this is a rather special group of people and would hate to lose touch with all of you.

The amount of effort involved in this is minimal and the cost is usually zero. One of the boards that I did this on died and was then basically resurrected under a new name and owned by the people that cared. We even had enough warning on that one to store and later transfer some of the threads and membership info from the original board.

Just a thought.

21. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    I think it is a great idea, but I would not trust an extremely liberal site like yahoo.

22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    While I agree if we were talking about establishing a new board there, it is a good place for a storm shelter where we could gather and decide what we wanted to do. Boards for chatting and discussing things are not terribly expensive. You can set up an Invision board for less than 40 dollars a month.

23. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Feelings are mutual, sir. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know you all. (And, Tex, it is not often that I meet another book-a-holic who has about the same number of books as I do. Yes... about the same tens of thousands range, lol)

Sheesh... this forum had better not go belly up! We shipwrecked survivors barely got our gear dry!

24. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

And there's the free Proboards (https://www.proboards.com/). I don't know anything about the admin end of it, but was a member of a few... I don't seem to recall any problems with them.

I could be wrong, but it seems this forum may be around a while, according to the whois.com info. It is not clear if the contract is renewed yearly or if it is paid up until the end of the registration period which expires on January 15, 2023.

https://www.whois.com/whois/mysurvivalforum.com

Domain: mysurvivalforum.com

Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC

Registered On: 2016-01-15

Expires On: 2023-01-15

Updated On: 2017-03-13

25. JimLE

JimLE Expert Member
      198/230

Blog Posts:
    im not only a member of some forums in proboards.some are prepper forums.other arent..i even have 2 of my own there.in which i keep one to myself. the other is a prepper forum."but yet" i might need a lil help getting it set up better

26. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    I am so proud :)

27. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Lol, I’m learning!!! And, who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Woof!!

28. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    I doubt you are any older than I and this old dog tries to learn at least 1 new trick each day.

29. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I am super happy to say that I think we can all rest easy! I just checked Branchd77's profile (owner/admin), and he checked in this site yesterday at 8:06 AM!!!!

So, he has not vanished, at least!

ETA: This would be USA time, which is one day (I think actually 13-16 hours) "later" than Keith's Australian time...

The Innkeeper, Caribou, JimLE and 2 others like this.
  30. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Deja vu all over again. It is strange this seems to have followed us.

31. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you mean someone using his log in accessed the site.

32. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    WOW, I wish we could go ahead and confirm up a listing of those who wish to stay in touch together as a group.

33. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have set up a lot of these so it was no problem. This is just a sort of lifeboat in case something happens without warning. You can copy and save this address and in the event of a problem, we will have a way to connect again...

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/mysurvivalshelter

34. DeanB

DeanB Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Interesting as far admins not responding. Depending on how long the site admin has paid for hosting, this could go down at any time and without warning.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  35. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Added it to my prepper links. Thanks for the backup system. Good work TD.

36. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I certainly would. I have no problem with providing my name, e-mail, etc. if needed. Do the rest of you feel this way? Would any of you have a problem with adding your name and your/an e-mail to the list?

37. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    For the OPSEC group. Use forum I.D. and your burner email. C,mon, we know you got a burner email.

Sonofliberty likes this.
  38. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    I added the link. Where is this OPSEC group?

39. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It just takes a couple of minutes to set up a yahoo mail account. Over the years I've had a couple of dozen of them. Later if we decided to set up another place we could make it as secure as we wished. I have had places that were by invitation only that were blocked from the bots and about as secure as it is possible to be online.

40. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    I on. All set, as far as I can tell. I agree with Duncan.

THANK YOU SO MUCH TEXDANM. I cannot bear the thought of losing y'all.

41. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    The OPSEC group are just the members as paranoid as I am, not an official group. Lame joke. But I do have burn email accounts, saves a lot on spam.

The Innkeeper and Sonofliberty like this.
  42. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    This website expires on Jan, 15 2023.

I have a website of my own with a SHTF subforum in the Off Topic category at the bottom. I am will versed on creating and securing the utter hell out of a PHP-based site. I could create another forum like this one if need be. I have bookmarked that Yahoo group just in case. In the mean time, you can check out my more computer related website at https://cyberpcforum.com

43. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Now watch me "disappear". LMAO! If I do die, I have a copy of all of Wikipedia burned to M Disc to be placed in my coffin. It also contains the U.S. Constitution with images, the Declaration of Independence and the Bible. I'll add more to it as well latter on.

In case you don't know. M Discs are supposed to last 1,000 years.

44. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    whats all that got to do with prepping? all the cyber/computer stuff will disappear post SHTF.

45. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am expecting a second wave of deaths long after the original die off is over and gone as all the people that think they can still rely on technology after the collapse meet their inevitable fate.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  46. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    I would think we all have burner emails Though there are people on this and other sites who have my real email just in case something happens.

47. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not real heavy into security. It is partly an attitude and maybe partly ignorance. I am well known in the areas that I am regular. I don't ever lock my doors at home either. I don't even know where a key to my house is. I made the decision a long time ago that I wasn't going to live in or with fear. I prepare for the worst but then am not worried about it. In my life, there have been bad things. Pain, poverty and unwanted change. I have dealt with it all as it came and tried to look at most of it as an adventure in an otherwise mostly rather boring life. Even death is nothing more than the opportunity for a last good fight and in the end a new adventure.

48. DeanB

DeanB Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I was able to contact the administrator of the site. I had one email from him and will try to find out what has been going on.

49. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I lock my doors but not out of fear, it is just to give me enough time so I won't have to rush my shot.

50. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a little Yorkie that thinks she is a guard dog. Nothing is going to sneak up on me. I have a gun near me in almost every room...if not a gun then a big honking knife or sword is close. I like my guns and knives and like to see them. The more expensive guns and family heirlooms are locked in a gun safe but I still have a glass front cabinet in the living room and a gun rack on the wall in the bedrooms. Then there are the guns beside my chair and beside my bed.

This is sort of what you end up with when you have the guns from 4 generations of men that liked guns. I'm now the old man and have them. I have added on to the collection and will pass it on. You wouldn't BELIEVE my fishing tackle collection.