Backpack Shotgun

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Pragmatist, Mar 21, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    That is a nice break action single shot. Light weight, reliable and easy to handle. Real good for survival situation, wilderness but limited for a urban situation. IMHO.

Caribou likes this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    They make it in a 20 ga in 18", 22" and 26" barrels with screw in chokes. LOL, If Trump sends out checks I'm going to have on and do my part to keep our economy rolling.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Vids on this handy shotgun.

Company data; they come in 12, 20, & .410

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2017/11/midland-backpack-shotgun/

Speaking of handy shotguns, while going to yard sales you'll often see cheap single-shot shotguns and rifles for sale. If the thing is functional and looks safe, get the price down for it and pay cash. If lopping off extra barrel on a shotgun, make sure you don't violate Fed. restrictions. A shotgun must have a barrel over 18 inches, so one shouldn't cut the barrel less than 20"/19". Besides, too short of barrels do not allow the projectiles to get up to speed. Plus, they are too loud. Use rounded file to smooth new muzzle. Use cold bluing on the bare metal to put off the rusting. Shotgun sights -- some have glow-in-the-dark properties -- are available where firearms are sold. The glue-on sights are fine for make-do.

Survival-wise, open cylinder barrels are good for killing a bunch of birds at one time. Use very small shot. Throw out scrap bread or whatnot, birds come in to feed, BOOM. "Four and twenty blackbirds, blackbird pie." A cheap shotgun used for self-defense can be fired and dropped while running for your primary weapon. A single-shot is a sorta-OK oh-SH##! device to slow an aggression. They don't weigh anything. They make for snake guns while hiking.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

Is that not also true of some material in the Asian Wall Street Journal, South China Morning Post (a cousin of the Washington Post) and the Strait Times ?

Most all media is biased.

The most accurate is pubs of commodities markets. This, of course, requires knowledge on understanding the significance of the commodity and the meaning of the changes. Think of copper,gold and petroleum.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    It also has to have an overall length of at least 26 inches if it came from the factory as a "shotgun".

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Bummer as near as I can find the 20 ga is only with a 26" barrel and that pretty much defeats its purpose as a short handy gun. :-( I would have liked it with an 18" but a 26" is just too long for my purposes.

I NEVER cut a barrel to less than 18 1/2" They killed Randy Weaver's wife and son over a RUMOR that he had cut a barrel a 1/4" too short. Shortly after that and Waco when we got raided I decided that gunsmithing and dealing as a profession was more dangerous than I was interested in.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Was at local gun store (8yr ago?). See an old pump Browning in 20 ga. Model # came from the 192o's / 30's -- can't remember model as I write this. Get owner to hand it to me. It was a take-down. Slick action, worked great. Little blueing left on it. Moved to my shoulder; stock drop was as if it had been built for me. Price was $120. I bought it. Love it. Still have it. No collector. Feels just right.

A guy's gotta do this sometime. See something of value for the right price. Will always have a use. This thing will put small game on the supper table. End of discussion.

TMT Tactical likes this.