Backpack-sized Battery System

Discussion in 'Other Useful Objects' started by Pragmatist, Sep 17, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://solarbuildermag.com/news/at...-debuts-go-200-backpack-sized-battery-system/

Good morning all,

I'm posting this here as a "useful" item.

Per ...

I take note of the article's term "essential loads". Reminds me of something I consider "funny" - gallows humor type of funny. Virginia's Dept of Emergency Management (VDEM) has a citizen focused pamphlet. It calls local map "essential" for an evacuation. Someone on medical O2 has something essential for their evacuation. Not having a local map still allows for an evacuation.

Back to the link; ...... Someone dependent on a mobile phone has much more work to do than have an electricity supply. Electronic communications can go out just as fast as a Pensacola bridge.

Regardless, will be asking around about this.

Am busy now; got to read Noah's after-action report. Some responder groups are trying to scare the heck out of me with the flooding warnings.

cc: Club of Rome

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I've already way ahead of that article author. I use Anker PowerCore+ 26800. The only problem is, I still haven't found practical cabling solution that could reliably attach the micro USB cable from the power bank (which inside my backpack) to all the electronics particularly to fed power to the navigational phone in my wrisband holder. I can always add additional high capacity power bank, however doing so will not only create complication for air travel but also too much unnecessary weight for my back, because in any expedition we always bring a generator

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    That because you don't have the slightest clue how to use them, let alone understand the operational limit of modern equipment. Furthermore your perception of modern electronic is already fix by upon seeing them as "toy" rather than as multitool.

21st century warfighting is all about digital tech, it is called "Network Centric Warfare" fought in "Multi Domain Environment" Every side are racing to get their hands on the latest digital tech.

This concept even come from US Army CCDC

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

I would guess that if electronic commo goes out, even the most sophisticated users will experience more than operational limits.

A few weeks ago had posted here and article with statements by the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (believe it was him). He stated that in a major confrontation communications by electronic means will not be available.

"All" is an absolute, comprehensive word. Digital is only 1 aspect. It is important but it is not at the top.

"Always" is another absolute word. Generators "always" present ? ... always working ? My experiences have been different than yours.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    And How TF will the US military going to communicate to each other?! using blinker light, or postal pigeon maybe?! As if anyone outside Navy even knew Morse let alone Semaphore.

I sincerely believe those who kept selling EMP bogeyman are in serious need for STEM lesson. And I also seriously doubt those who kept saying something about map & compass even knew how to read a chart let alone plotting any navigational course.

Without having portable generator I will be out of business. The clients we need to provide services need to power all their electronics, not to mention they also need secure (encrypted) communication to their HQ element. There is also industrial drone, camp illumination, etc. On top of everything my own crew also need power for our own electronics which include at least 2 laptop, all the phones, VSAT, radios.
    Honda EU2000i is seriously good. And beside I have a dedicated person to deal with power generator, also another person dedicated for all the radios, etc

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

Don't believe I can reply to your question. I don't know about this field of large scale communications by electronic means.

I do have a specialty in night operations running heliograph units. Never have I been cited for incorrect transmissions or receipts.

Even before GPS/related, Loran and Omega had problems. There's a trend, a pattern.

You've got a larger and more sophisticated environment that I do here in this electronics backwater on the mid-Atlantic. The numerous naval and USCG stations are still loading sailcloth and rivets into the boats' storerooms.

Here, in this electronic backwater, only gossip is present. The relatively recent Donbass combat did discuss the downing of the MAS aircraft. No electronic countermeasures (ECM) ? It's a basic requirement when flying over a current battle zone. For the record, the shot down civil aircraft did not arrive in TLV.

My guess is that the answer to all this will get developed when someone turns on the system and the screen is blank. There are dionistic tools to determine the problem. "Knowledge is power."

Have you plotted any nav course in Polar waters. Had heard here the gossip saying that it's not that easy, with or without factoring in the geomagnetic disturbances.

There are some folks in this area that can plot courses and work land maps.

"They" even make the Marines have a comprehensive grasp that an azamuth and a bearing are the same thing for their purposes.

The overall good news to all this is that push button and electronic warfare saves on the drycleaning and laundry bills.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I will give up on power pretty fast and as far as communication, everyone that I care about will be with me. Depending on the cause of the fall things may be messed up for some time as far as broadcast communications. The military will use other forms of communication. they will not allow the information density of broadcast but it will have a worldwide reach. Our Nuclear-armed submarines do not use broadcast for communication. They run silent and receive their orders via longwave transmissions put into the crust of the planet. The communications to those submarines come out of a facility in Colorado.

Wired communications will still work and there are actually several satellite systems that work in the light level frequencies that would still work. Computers allow incredible density in transmissions that amount to little more than a fast blip.

Civilian communications though once down will take decades to bring back online if it is taken down by some sort of massive EMP pulse that burns up the existing facilities. Cell phone systems are not like the old wired systems. The towers and satellites can't be replaced in any sort of reasonable time. LOL, I remember party lines where a bunch of people are on the same line and you can tell when a call is for you by the ring. My Grandmother was two longs and a short.

Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    That because the 4 Star (Chief of Staff right?) whose said it was making a solid case for very generous retirement benefits. I can already think 2 major US defence contractors. That is just how things done in defence industry.

Wasn't aiming at you, but toward those outside military background, aviation, or maritime (sailor). Tell me something how many people (percentage) in typical survivalist / prepper forum beside those with related background / experience even know HOW to read GPS data or any navigational data at all. Example, here is a screenshot from my phone it has all the necessary info (latitude, longitude, altitude, course, speed) but how many people will be able to tell the WHERE part?

2e0e359f15e4a91bcdd1e386ddddb653.png

That because some dumbass in ICAO believe that the region is safe to fly normally. In fact as I recall there is a Garuda flight also from AMS just behind the MH17.

Although I've never went anywhere near the polar circle (the northern most place I've been was The Hague & Antwerp, and beside even summer at Texas & Florida are too cold for me). Anything that close to the polar circle the hazard of iceberg became serious.
    Magnetic declination is less of a factor with gyrocompass and GPS. Even all my phones factor in magnetic declination using value I've set manually beforehand.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Anyway regarding backpack power bank. So far I still haven't found any solution for cabling from backpack to my left wrist (where my phone is) and to my right shoulder strap (camera). And kinda hopping there is another power connection to headlamp and to the WiMAX node in my backpack

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    They still broadcast either using buoy (delayed broadcast), or trough SOSSUS line or other existing underwater infrastructure using acoustic modem (digital). ELF only use for queuing the sub to come to PD (periscope depth) to download from satellite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

My rough guess of Prepper/survivalist forum participants knowing about navigation is less than 1%. A few decades ago the percentage would be higher. As an aside, when the WWII-era OSS was being formed, one of the officials said something like "need some soldiers who were Boy Scouts; ... who could read a map".

Is magnetic declination even a major issue with Polar navigation ?

From the screenshot of your phone, the - WHERE - requires cross referencing ro additional data that can be converted to information and then knowledge.

You can have a military aircraft with 2 magnetic compasses and 3 gyrocompasses and still have problems. They're all still just instruments used by people.

It's more than ICAO, IATA, IMO, various NOTAMS, the weather organizations are as politicized as they make 'em.

Now take various specific subjects we're discussing and them them as constants ... this is what's presented in the thread. Add the variables and the navigator, the rest - in private sector, even the owner's rep, ...... and there are headaches.

Ref backpack power banks; All this reminds me of the US Army history of introducing motor vehicles into the organizations decades ago. Standardization didn't occur until decades later. Other big problems developed. Magnetic interferences with electronics gets into the news nowadays. The presumption is that even without electronic interference, the user/operator of the electronics doesn't have blurry vision and headaches from unknown causes.

Much R&D going on to develop power sources for infantry-type work.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not too bothered about having power once the lights go off.
    I lived off grid without any power, just the odd storm lantern for light.
    everything I needed to do was done by hand during daylight hours.
    I loved that way of living and would do so again post SHTF.

TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  13. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Magnetic interference is non issue even with multiple consumer electronics in very close proximity. However with aviation instruments it could be an issue, albeit most of the time they originate from the pilot own phone rather than the passenger.

Actually all the technologies are already around in consumer electronics. Example this is what I use

ca742a3240f67b186782f616969ba21e.png

It around 500g in weight, 26800mAh capacity, 6A total output. Made something that combine 3 or 4 of that and its good for powering any BMS client (Battle Management System), radios, and add something to rugged the whole package including the physical connector and it will be good for at least 72 hours (depend in operation tempo). The keypoints are ingress protection (water & dust), slim profile so it can fit into any assault pack, and rugged physical connection particularly to the BMS client and radios.

The only problem I can see is, using COTS (Commercial off The Shelf) will be too cheap and doesn't create much "jobs"

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

"The future battlefield is becoming empty. If you are there, you are destroyed. The only options are stealth or autonomous systems." Col Ehud Gal, Israel MOD, DEFENSE NEWS, 24 August 2009.

Does Battle Management System incorporate AWACS ? units afloat ?

I've posted a couple of articles over the months on US Government research on magnetic interference. Perhaps the USG concerns were the proximity won't be that close.

If some technologies in existence are patented but restricted for public access, how do you know what is around [sic] (available) ?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I had family that served on a Polaris Sub and when they leave port the stay totally silent. Nobody except the navigator even knows where they are heading to. The long wave transmissions are such low density that about all that they can transmit is code numbers that relate to a codebook that is changed and different or every cruse. They don't ever even surface and stay deep. My cousins wife found out she was pregnant just after he left and she was getting close to popping before he found out.

The difference between polar navigation and magnetic navigation if getting to be greater FAST. The magnetic north has suddenly taken off and has left Canada and is going to Siberia. Magnetic navigation is only good for short trips. As your latitude changes the direction of your compass can change by as much as 90 degrees. If you are in the North Atlantic it is possible that magnetic "North" would actually be more like WEST. As you travel you have to constantly offset for where true horth is from magnetic north. For ships even during WW1 and WW2 all navigation was via Celestrial navigation because that never changes. If you do it right. That wasn't really possible intil they invented a clock that would work on a ship at sea. My Dad was trained as a navagator when he was in the navy. All ships officers are or were trained in it. Where I live the ofset used to be 7 degrees but it has changed now to less than 2 degrees so my oder charts would need to be adjusted if I was going by strictly magnetic navigation.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Yeach right said the Israeli which doesn't have enough manpower. There will always be the need for human in the loop (ALWAYS) regardless the level of technology. And there is always a need for infantry albeit in different form than we seeing right now. In most likely case I imagined a platoon will merely consist of 6 person while the rest are robotic.

What do you think STANAG 5516 / MIL-STD-6016 all about

Their idea of magnetic interference is about weaponize magnetic spectrum in the kilowatt or megawatt range, or WHEN interference from friendly radar (example : SPY-1) interfering with her own helicopter avionic.

Like what exactly? Repulsor tech from Stark Industry, or Super Soldier Serum maybe?

Regardless of any proprietary or trade secret technology they are govern by the physical law of the universe. I've seen too much claim of something that just doesn't make any sense, because their were implying that they are breaking fundamental law of physic (which is not possible)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

I cannot talk "exactly" about patented and restricted access tech because I am not eligible to learn about the new inventions, developments. They are restricted intellectual property.

The US Government's idea of magnetic interference has contractors working the entire realm of the subject to include the theoretical.

My point wasn't about STANAGS (regardless of NATO only being pro forma now), MILSTDS or BMS. It's thinking that a store-bought electronic gadget will be allowed into the battle zone. The MC-130H Combat Talon IIs will have it fried and melted even if belonging to the Chief of Chaplains girlfriend.

You're not familiar with contemporary aspects of state of the art militaries. An irony of this thread is that much of this is being tested somewhat north of you on the continent.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    You must never heard ATAK then. Welcome to the real 21st century warfare. Things has change a lot since the 80's and commercial consumer electronic has already entering battlefield for quite some time.

What ChiCom do was comm jamming, they do so to test reaction and hoping to provoke the other side to attempt burn trough their jamming or to lit their targeting radar so they could gain measurement of it (no longer news)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

The real 21st century warfare is by CDC, HHS, Dr Ho Jlan Kui of Shenzhen. Take a glance at the new Zinc Oxide facemask. It's not for going to Walmart.

I've been in 3 wars and several insurrections. I love commercial use of consumer-available electronic. Users are easy targets to eliminate.

Do some research on Sinai Support Mission.

Again, you're not familiar with what's going on.

TMT Tactical likes this.