Backpacks for survival situation

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by DrPBandJelly, Jun 22, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. DrPBandJelly

DrPBandJelly New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys,

newbie prepper here. I was wondering what kind of backpack you guys think would be the best for a survival/apocalypse situation is. Should I go for something low volume and light? Or try to back as much stuff in there as possible?

What is the most important thing to pay attention to when looking for a good backpack?

Thank you!!

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think I can answer this one, I never have been able to understand all the chit chat about this pack versus that pack. Maybe there are really bad packs, I don't know, but I would have thought that providing it is well made, sturdy & comfortable to wear, that should be all that is needed.
    My wife made me a haversack many years ago, I converted it into a knapsack because it was more suitable for carrying a load. I have never had any problems with it over all the miles & in over 30 years worth of trekking, & I still use it.
    Keith.
    YsREjsTr7NfrjIGp2Y-y64Y1ljUoBJA9.jpeg YsREjsTr7NfrjIGp2Y-y64Y1ljUoBJA9.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  3. DrPBandJelly

DrPBandJelly New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Hey Keith, thanks for the post. Wow, 30 years? That is amazing. What more can you ask of a survival backpack? I'm going to do more research on knapsacks. I hadn't even thought of them, really. Thanks man!

HappyJackSlade and Keith H. like this.
  4. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    Keith wins this one. Time tested and proven to work. Minimalist is key here. I think knowledge and the right attitude can get you further in the game then the latest technology and gadgets to help you survive in the bush. Everyone should look at the past for survival tips. Our ancestors were able to survive without the latest solar powered cell phone charger. Why can't we?

HappyJackSlade likes this.
  5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    XCLvL4LxXKJVpX6Nn8gffLvB93WoNaOY.jpeg XCLvL4LxXKJVpX6Nn8gffLvB93WoNaOY.jpeg
    Keith.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Avoid a pack with cordage or thin unpadded straps packs with frames carry more and frame can be used to carry other things with the pack removed i use a military alice pack with frame from the 60s it a good heavy duty canvas pack

7. Amhart6970

Amhart6970 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I simply use a northern pack, as it easily fits in with all other packs out there. No one thinks twice to ask what it is when they see it in the trunk of my car. It's sturdy, comfy and simple. All one needs.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Boomhower

Boomhower Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    2016-10-04 19.30.29.jpg This is what i put to geather their is more than u can see up front

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    No images showing mate.
    Keith.

10. Boomhower

Boomhower Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Its sowing up on my end just joined this fourm so still working it out 2016-10-04 19.30.29.jpg

11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Ah, that's better. Ruger, good choice. I have to admit, although I favour a butcher knife, that knife of yours looks very practicle.
    Keith.

12. Boomhower

Boomhower Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    It has a saw blade on the back creations and a hollow handel with line fishing hooks compas and machines

Keith H. likes this.
  13. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've got an Alice pack as I prefer a framed pack, as you get older its much easier to have something that spreads the weight.
    depends on the situation, if its a "bugging out i'm never coming back" then you'll probably want something that can hold as much as you can carry.
    but if its a simple evacuation and your coming back home when it all blows over, you'll probably just want to carry the minimum in which case a smaller pack might do.

Brownbear likes this.
  14. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Might want to change the knife! Dump the hollow handle bit and go full tang, and dump the sawteeth, they are a pain and get hungup at the worst times
    Serattions are ok and so is the size but make sure the blade is not too thick and heavy!

15. Boomhower

Boomhower Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    I personally like the saw blade for getting firewood cutting down small trees it works really well for me understand what you're saying about Full Tang though

16. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Personally I favour a tomahawk/trade axe for making shelters, cutting & hammering in stakes etc. Also good for defence.
    Keith.

17. Boomhower

Boomhower Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    I have added a 357 4.2 inch SP101 to make it

Attached Files:

18. sarky

sarky Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    You ask a question that can only be answered by you. What shape are you in? How much can you carry? What do you need as opposed to what do you want? We all tend to have a favorite "luxury" item. The thing is, pick your gear then find a reliable pack to carry it comfortably in. Just remember ounces = pounds and pounds = pain! You could also practice a new fad that is going on here on the west coast, rucking! Get yourself a pack, fill heavy duty zip-lox bags with sand, load up your ruck and hike with it (don't forget to weigh your bags so you know how much you are humping around.
    I would also add that if you decide to pack a firearm, choose the caliber wisely, both for its effectiveness and and the weight of the ammo.

coffee, AuntB and Keith H. like this.
  19. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Excellent input Sarky, thank you.
    Keith.

20. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Remember, when packing for the trail there must be some compromise between two principles; minimum weight & maximum self-reliance.
    Keith.

21. Spec OP warrior

Spec OP warrior Expert Member
      126/173

Blog Posts:
    The best pack is one that is an individual preference. In my opinion the best pack/s is the one that will carry all the necessary gear/equipment you think you will need for the situational operation you are facing. Natural disaster, man made, or just prepping for whatever happens in this crazy mixed up world. Budget is also a key factor in deciding on a pack. You can go with a cheaper knock off of the Rush packs in that WalMart sells 3 different models of the S.O.G pack. Cheap price, but i bought one for an EDC and it has held up for 3 years. In a long term situation, i carry the Eberlestock Battleship large pack. Research online for the many number of packs out there.

22. sarky

sarky Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    I've gone with the EBOB concept, a cross between an INCH bag and a BOB. I use a Kifaru Navigator as the main pack with a Kifaru E&E pack docked and locked to it. The reason I did this is multi fold. 1: the bag is rated that if can carry it, the bag will hold it (and I put this to the test, tip my knees buckled from the weight) 2: the bag will take a serious beating without showing it. 3: the two pack system allow me to drop the main pack at my hide and carry the E&E with all my survival gear to set traps and snares as well as trot lines.

23. Skot

Skot Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I find molle to be a handy thing to have on a backpack, you can customize your pack to suit your needs, also i keep alot of my gear stored in seperate molle pouches inside my pack that way if i need the extra room in my backpack i can remove the pouches and just attatch them to the outside of the pack. Doing it this way i get away with a 30L pack, its got more than enough storage space for what i need. Just can get a bit bulky if i were to attatch all the gear to the outside.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  24. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Had an uncle who was to have landed on D-Day. He said that all his mates were hoisting all of the heavy crap they'd been issued over the side. Weight + wading in water + German machinegun fire = certain death. As it turned out, the WWI ship they were on ran aground on some sand bar & couldn't reverse out of the situation and so they had to build a pontoon bridge to France. They were like three days late to the festivities. So he survived that to inevitably get in the middle of The Battle of the Bulge. Half his cohort were lost, including the company commander he really liked; utter slaughterfest, hell on Earth. They had to use their explosives to blow holes in the frozen earth to have foxholes to protect them from the shrapnel coming from the tree-top bursts from the German 88 artillery pieces.

Praise be unto God that in this day and age we are gifted with so many lightweight solutions. In times past, our ancestors were not so lucky. In their names, buy these wondrous new feather-light products that allow you mobility. Me, it's over for me, my body is all broken up, I wore it out, too many injuries. My ears are shot-out and my joints are worn out. Don't let this happen to you if you can avoid it.

25. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    remember: the more skills you have the less gear you need to carry, the less skills you have the more gear you will need to carry.

Keith H. likes this.
  26. SurvivingPrepper

SurvivingPrepper New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    You might look at a backpack that is also a plate carrier. Having Kevlar or ballistic steal on your back could save your life.

27. Born Prepper

Born Prepper Member
      11/29

Blog Posts:
    First, work out what it is you need to carry, then buy the bag to fit.

28. AuntB

AuntB Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    What will you be using this back pack for? Will it be for a get home bag if you have to walk? I have a normal everyday pack. I carry it everyday. I chose to have my EDC bag look like a normal bag rather then a military looking bag. Think grey man. Do you want your bag to draw attention to you or do you want to blend. Many preppers go for the black or camo bags but IMO that say, I have good stuff in here."

Do not pack more then you can carry and do not carry what you do not use. Being a minimalist is really what we should all strive for. Being a minimalist means you will have to use your knowledge.

29. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I have yet to see a backpack fail. But you should get a pack that's comfortable and carries the gear you plan on having with you. Now, since we don't know much about the future, what you should carry in a bug out-event is pretty much up to you beside the basics. I like to have extra room for stuff I might find, forage or salvage and want to carry with me. I also have an extra lightweight backpack in my pack for expeditions away from camp, firewood etc.

In a Bug Out situation I say again, because bugging out is not hiking or camping. When you do that, make sure to enjoy yourself.

30. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    The first question would be how do you intend to use it? When you decide how you will use it, and what you want to carry you can address size. To me the next consideration would be comfort. If the pack is not comfortable you will be miserable carrying it. If it is comfortable and fits your needs look at durability. Are the zippers sturdy? Is the stitching sturdy? Does the material feel like it would last? Finally, how much do you want to pay? Prices will be all over the map. You can get a Wal Mart special for next to nothing, or pay a King's ransom for some really high end gear.

Personally I have been very happy with North Face, and Kelty. IMHO they are moderately priced and a good value. Maxpedition makes gear that looks like it will last three life times; literally bomb proof. Again just MHO but they are pretty proud of it. I don't want to spend that much. Hill People Gear is another good product, but definitely at the higher end.

Good luck. Hope you find what you need.

TMT Tactical likes this.