Barents Sea In News

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, May 5, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.rferl.org/a/arctic-russia-navy-us-barents-/30592707.html

Good morning all,

Article about USN and Brit RN patrolling the region after a long absence.

I guess only Radio Free Europe can write " ... NATO ballistic missile defense system designed to protect Europe from limited attack from the likes of Iran".

Had always thought the threat was from Equatorial Guinea.

Regardless, I don't gamble. As soon as the quarantine ends, will get the wool garments ready in case of required trip to Bodo, Norway.

2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Don't forget to use jungle camouflage and related clothing while operating in the Arctic circle.

Anyway I won't put my money on this just yet. As long there is still a need to cross the Arctic using icebreaker (Northwest Passage) I don't see anything gone "warm" there. What lies under the waves is always different than what happen on the surface though.

3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

Oops, ........ we need another uniform contract for up north operations.

From my experience, what is needed is at Battalion Headquarters next to the pot belly stove.

For those outside on patrol, they are freezing their ......off.

Not too much is new under the sun when the Pentagon planners are at that emergency Arctic conference in Pago Pago, American Somoa.

4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Old Geezer,

Just read a little of the article until the paywall popped up.

Very interesting what I read.

6. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    This is a BS article...….

We have been spying on the Russians since WW2 and particularly keeping an eye on their Navy Bases at Murmansk and Polyarny. We have also been quietly building up our submarine fleet for years now to go to artic conditions...to operate under the Artic Polar Ice caps..as do the Russians and others attempting to do the same.

You think we are not doing the same in the Pacific Ocean...not just with the Russians but the Chinese and or North Koreans...too???

There is a video of three Nuclear American Submarines surfacing in the Artic ice near each other...and it is an interesting video. While this makes for a good PR stunt...I don't believe that was the real reason for this exercise..

Remember ….GPS and Nav Sat..have changed a lot about how this business can be done.

We have been shadowing Russian as well as other nations submarines and often right up close to their bases.....

In the trades some of these stories are legend....

Whitey Mac....

https://donmooreswartales.com/2010/04/30/whitey-mack/

And this is only one of the stories told to the public...an olde story.

Most are still classified.

Remember how much our submarines and also our satellites have been improved over the years now.

Now surface ships are being included in the artic mix...more than in times past..

My non Ishnmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Watcherchris,

Just read the link.

RO the deck L ! "That slot machine paid for every ship's party we ever had."

The crew liked Ft Lauderdale over Hampton Roads ?! Difficult to contemplate this.

watcherchris likes this.
  8. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Hey now, most people in serious love with BS articles & news as long it confirm their narrative bias.

Someone who doesn't have the slightest clue as how GNSS work let alone knew how carry out seagoing navigation will chime in that it won't work during major SHTF. And they will also will saying something about EMP (or something within that line and orbital mechanic be damned)

Most landlubber have difficulty grasping such idea.

BTW the old 688i boats is seriously noisy, particularly above 20kts

watcherchris likes this.
  9. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL LOL LOL....Varuna…..

I worked on the 688 Submarine construction project at this shipyard....and at one time on all the 688 boats built here...the last two of the Sturgeon class boats built here as well. Also a number of the Virginia class submarines. Worked on Boomers too.

But yes...you are correct...most land lubber types cannot think past the Kardashians and or ESPN...and why would they ever have to so do. The system is so designed to keep them thus properly herded in thinking and emotions..,..ie...voting...

Spot on here....in the X ring...

I have often lamented that too many of these types are voters.

As far as navigation goes....a proper ship ..particularly a surface ship..or submarine will not be totally dependent on a Satellite link if they are smart...for we know what that stuff is called when it "Happens."

One had better have back up systems including the ability to go totally manual...if need be..

Submarines and surface warships have on them an inertial gyroscope system...totally independent and this system will often be updated or tweeked in for errors using Satellite navigation systems.

But before Satellite navigation ...that was what they used...Inertial systems ...and and a back up gyro.. or a manual back up ..even if it means using an olde sextant..

Somebody had better be trained to go manual if they are smart...….

I like an automatic transmission and they have come a long ways in the last 30 years in fuel efficiency..but I also know how to use an olde manual transmission...even have a car with an olde 3 speed on the column.

I know how to carefully shift without using a clutch if need be...

I believe in manual override ...being able to do it the olde way if needed. Don't get me wrong here...technology is wonderful when it works right...but when it craps out ...you got nothing!!!

Better be able to do a manual override...if your smart...

This is a prepper site...

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  10. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    By Pragmatist,

I've heard the same about many crews liking it out west..in San Diego and such rather than Norfolk.

The reason given to me by Navy personnel...is that Norfolk is too close to Washington DC and the Pentagon.

Very often the US government helicopters fly over or near my house ..two of them going to the Norfolk Navy Base..

You know the ones which say "The United States of America" on the sides....a primary and a back up.

This means that the base is much more formal than the bases down south and or out west...to keep up the Washington DC image...formality.

Most Sailors do not care for that much formality or putting on the show.

I think this greatly accounts for why they would like Ft. Lauderdale over Norfolk.

To much formal spit and polish for the average sailor..

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

11. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:

NAS Norfolk is backup maintenance for Marine One Helo.

This is public info - at least told to me as being public.

Would guess Elizabeth City, NC and some place(s) inland have some arrangements.

watcherchris likes this.
  12. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

I did not know that about back up maintenance.

The problem I have with it is that there are often two helo's flying ...one right behind the other...not just one....

But they may be ferrying the crews back to Andrews AFB...from Norfolk.....someone getting in flight time as well to keep their flight pay ..coming….maintaining qualifications on an easy run.

But I am often working now in the hours when they make the run.....mostly evenings when I saw them...going to and fro Washington DC.

But I know they made the run in the mornings when usually I am asleep. I would see and hear them if I stayed up in the mornings after getting off work...graveyard shift.

Oh..and these were smaller helos...not Marine 1.

I often thought it was eyes only traffic....

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

13. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:

LOL ! Getting in flight hours. Of course !

I do not know about the air traffic HR - DC other than it's overhead just about every day.

So much going on, it's hard to keep up. Plus there are additional matters going on, eg ICE opened a detention facility at A.P. Hill, Manassas airport used for int'l flights, who the heck knows about Camp Peary, ......

Now, I CAN guess that much of this traffic is "off book".

14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  16. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

There is a Soviet Russian ICBM missile submarine sunk off the east coast of the United States many years back...this some time in the early 1980s. It is down there deep....

You think we have not sent deep research vessels to examine the wreckage..???

The official press release stated that they had problems on the boat..but unofficially through stories I have heard from sailors...this submarine suffered a collision with one of our submarines and took on water...in their cat and mouse pursuit business they are so often carrying out.

None of this ever came out officially in the press..but I have heard it from active duty sailors including the name of the US Submarine. I will not release the name of the boat....for certain security reasons..except to say I worked on it when it was being built..

This I not the first time we have had such accidents with our submarines...and this business continues today ...right now.

Suffice it to say that much of this business and equipment has only gotten better over the years...much much better.

Someone out there has been using/misusing the Russians go keep us Americans scared of our own shadow...for years and years now...and doing the exact same pattern on the Russian people..Keeping them afraid too...

This is how a people are maintained and properly "Herded" year after year after election and election....

We see this in the Russian Collusion Narrative being played on the American people in getting ready for the next election and or getting rid of this current sitting President.

I've been watching this game go on for years after years after years..before I found a teacher to show me how predictable these people and groups get....to keep and maintain their power and control over the herd.

The problem with this sitting current President is that he is a definite threat to this phony fear and control power system...and this cannot be tolerated...

You must be kept afraid of your own shadow....as needed by the rigged control system.

You members do not have to buy this...it is mostly my own observation ...after many many years....of observing two legged wildlife in politics...and our phony media shilling like pimps for their phony political party system. Our phony rigged education system as well.

I think that someone is working the same fear business now using and misusing this virus ...and to much better effect than ever did they with the Russians.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

varuna and TMT Tactical like this.