Barrel Life............article.

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Sourdough, Sep 21, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
  2. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Short and interesting.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Shooting-out a barrel" is a difficult thing to do. Cleaning rods, as we all know, are often the culprit in shortening a barrel's life -- steel rods are more safe than aluminum, because abrasives get embedded in aluminum.

Don't let your barrel get too hot, then keep on running round through it. Gloves used to be issued with the M60; barrel gets too hot, gotta swap barrels, which would take the flesh off your hand, use glove. I have an M60 canvas barrel case; I use it to house a short firearm of mine ... and the ammo for it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Good article and good read. Thanks Sourdough.

5. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    There is a reason the military insist on hard chroming in most weapon barrels. I've turned barrels red hot (hot enough that they cooked off) and once the barrel cooled accuracy was as good as before. Most civilians will never wear out a barrel.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I seriously doubt (per the barrel calculation) I will ever burn out a barrel. Too cheap to do mag dumps and I am a bit obsessed with with group size (okay, lot obsessed), so no hurried shooting. Until I get into extreme long range shooting (mile+ shots) I am not overly concerned in getting max velocity with the best groups. Now it is just the best groups at what ever velocity. If a heavy bullet works best, so be it. If a lighter bullet works best, that is fine too. If or when the 6.5 Creedmoor wears out, it can be bored out to a 308, I think.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Dalewick likes this.
    1. Dalewick
      For your extreme long range shooting, what are you looking at platform/caliber wise? If you don't mind me asking. .50 cal Browning, 416 Barrett, 408 Cheytac, 338 Lapua, etc I used to shoot ELR but a neck injury ended that.

Dalewick, Sep 22, 2019