Basic Military Recon Skills

Discussion in 'Other Useful Objects' started by Dalewick, Apr 28, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    These are skills some may have interest in.

These arn't the greatest of qualities but I can actually remember watching them as a young recruit.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
  3. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Dalewick,

I recommend you read the below book. I did a book review of this on this site or perhaps the other. Lots of discussion in the book about extensive patrols and raids the SAS conducted during their fight to save their nation.

I have read many military books and this was a really good book that fits your interest.

A Handful of Hard Men: The SAS and the Battle for Rhodesia
    by
    Hannes Wessels

Max rigger and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info. I don't have much interest in reading more on SERE. I completed level C while in the army and was given the opportunity to use that training more than I care to remember. I have always enjoyed reading about the Rhodesian war. Especially the Selous Scouts. I used to have one of the Rhodesian recruiting posters on my bedroom wall as a teenager. That was my plan before they lost the war. Actually had most of the money for the plane ticket saved. Guess I needed my head checked at an early age. LOL!

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    knowing or finding out what is going on in our area is something we should all do both now and post SHTF, not necessarily in a military sense but more for information and knowledge.
    I deliver the local parish magazine by hand once a month, it gives me the chance to see what is going on, who is moving out, who is moving in, garage doors are often open so I can see what they have in there, I can see which houses are empty-there is one that has been empty for over a year, stuff like that.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  6. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Very good book and if you've not already done so look out for books on the Selous Scouts. also worth looking out for is the SAS in Malaya and Vietnam books.

There is an old phrase for the SAS, "The tiptoe boys" because if they've done their job they've tiptoed in and gathered intel and gone without you knowing they'd ever been. There is a nice story going back I believe to the 70s where there was some big exercise going on and at one bases in lockdown and being defended by US troops; alarms were heard all over the base at 05:00 and it turns out the SAS had planted small alarm clocks all all over the base, each one had a note "Courtesy of 21 SAS" attatched to it. Been and gone, could have blown the base to bits.

Alaskajohn likes this.