Basic Septic System For A Premanite Site

Discussion in 'Permanent Shelters' started by Tom Williams, Mar 15, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    When you place a shelter on land most places now require a septic system to be installed a tank to be pumped is legal in some cases but who going to punp after shtf ? So get solid plastic pipe 300ft be best run pipe from shelter to a tank many kinds to choose i use plastic gaged tank i get for 20 bucks make a out flow with pipe make sure it at least 6-12 inches below inlet pipe this be comes leech that runs out away fron tank a deep hole at end of run place a coil of pipe with exit at bottom sand and limestone place in bottom couple feet then pipe on top bury system and you have a system that will work for years oh between shelter and tank be sure to put a stink pipe up higher than shelter this keeps oder away from shelter

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Remember to lleech well awayfrom your water sorce sinks can be leeched out to garden area shower allso aids in water for garden never use spetic waste to grow food NEVER!!!!! SOLID PIPE works best as tree roots invade system and cause blocks

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Remember allso the frost line of the area here in penna its 3ft bury your system deep enough it does not freeze in winter

Keith H. likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have an old school anaerobic system with a field. There is no electricity required and it has worked well for 30 years. The new and mostly required aerobic systems require electricity, have a lot of moving or powered parts that wear out and in Texas have to be inspected every year and require regular refills of chlorine tabs. I suspect that the new systems are required because it offers more opportunity to make the homeowner pay for the right to treat their own sewage where the older systems were installed and mostly forgotten. Everything these days is all about making more money for the wealthy and the Government by leaching more from the people that do actually work.

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid where my Grandparents lived outhouses were still pretty common. Basically it was a small wooden shed on skids with a board seat over a dug hole. There would be one of two holes in that board. After using it you tossed a scoop of quick lime in it and every couple of days you would go around behind it and toss dirt in it to cover things up and keep the flies and smell down.

When the hole was filled to within a couple of feet from the surface you dug another hole and moved the out house to a new location. Honestly the small wasn't too bad and this wasn't something that you had to do very often. The place where the outhouse was last year would be mounded up with the etra dirt and raised the best tomatoes EVER. My Grandmother called them outhouse tomatoes and they were tiny and sweetly tart. The plants would produce like wild for several years. I guess they liked the acidic soil.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've seen a lot of compost toilets in camps in this country, you simply built a seating arrangement with a bucket underneath, every couple of days(depending on how many using it) you simply collect the bucket and put the contents into a composter or compost heap and cover with other material, once its rotted down you can spread the composted material around trees and bushes as a mulch.
    post SHTF waste nothing.

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I know that this is done BUT you need to understand the risks. Leaving human waste out in the open means flies will land on it and then carry anything that is in it in the way of bacteria to anything else that they land on. When you compost things there is more to it than just throwing it into a pile and letting it set there. You have to turn it and keep it ariatied or it just ROTS.

Colora, typhus and so many other things will become epidemic because people are going to mishandle their waste. If you throw it in a pile and then it rains you had better know where the runoff is going or you are going to regret it. When you look back in history you will find that the way a civilization handled their waste had a lot to do with how long they lasted. Sometimes the only way that a city could be cleansed was by fire and if you read history you will find the fires in every major city that seemed to come as they began to weaken.

My wife is in the hospital and while I sat and waited while she was in surgery I read an article about this in a National Geographic that was laying there. Huge parts of the world are still just throwing their waste out on the ground. In every place that this is comon you find a sick weak people. Their immune system is worn down by a constant battle to overcome endless illness. The other thing that you will find is that these places are breeding grounds for pesulance and new strains of bacteria and viral infections.

Human waste is poison. Keeping it around without proper treatment is going to cause problems. It will be even more of a problem than it is in places with bad sewage treatment now. We have not had to deal with the very common illnesses that come with this for several generations. Our immune systems are not prepared for it. Make one mistake and you will have cholera, typhus or dysentery and it will kill your entire family.

Immune systems are amazing things. The things that they are exposed to in small amounts over time will cause you to develop a certain resistance to it. This is why I often, after a big rain, drink from puddles. With all the MASSIVE warnings that they throw out these days about don't drink ANY untreated water have you ever wondered how animals, survive? How did people used to survive without their water filters and chemical purifiers? They simply had immune systems developed from years of small eposiers to things. We don't have that and will need to be hyper careful.

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    human waste is just that .....waste, its only poison if someone has a dangerous disease, as we will only be composting our own waste this wont apply.
    when I say composting I usually mean in a purpose built compost bin.
    the old gardeners in my country used to waste nothing, contents of the overnight "potty" used to go on the garden, pee is mixed 5part water to one part urine and is sprayed on the garden.
    in a SHTF situation we wont have access to imported fertilisers so we have to use everything we can get.
    when one pours loads of chemicals onto human waste it stops the material from decomposing naturally.
    the modern attitude is to "flush and forget it", unfortunately that wont be possible post SHTF.
    the masses will simply dump it in the hedge rows and rivers and streams that's when it becomes dangerous, especially if someone is washing and drinking from that water source.

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The problem that arises isn't the individual it is when lots of people start throwing their slop buckets out in the gutter or ditch. This always leads to problems. You may be doing things right but all it takes is one person upstream of you with a bacterial infection to poison your water supply. It isn't just the drinking of it. If you bathe in that water, wash your clothes in it, wash your hands in it, wade through it or even wash your dishes in it you may be in serious danger.

10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Post SHTF, NY, NY and Jersey City could simply rot to death. Remember the sanitation workers' strike?! All the trash that piled up in the streets, remember?! Grand!

I read that they're currently growing industrial-sized rats in NY, NY. Another plague in the making?

Wild dogs are roaming the big city streets. Nobody owns guns to shoot them.

https://nypost.com/video/pack-of-wild-dogs-ravages-car-in-middle-of-the-night/

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/08/0821_030821_straydogs.html

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/09...-wild-dogs-menacing-suffolk-county-community/

The whole place has gone to the dogs.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/...n-new-york-dire-warning-for-other-cities.html

... or maybe it's gone to the rats.

Rat food =
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/whatamess/the-worst-garbage-strikes-jdf?utm_term=.pyRoykLqb#.baRaoOXPp

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes that is very true, and I have seen examples of that.
    I live in a very small population area and I don't expect many to remain here post SHTF.
    all water-from wherever it comes- will be treated by us before use, any water post SHTF will be considered as suspicious unless filtered and boiled first.

12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Dog packs will indeed be a problem as dogs have no instinctive fear of man as wolves and coyotes do. I've had to deal with dog packs a few times and they can be a lot more dangerous and vicious than wild animals.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    no such problem in the UK I have heard of, although we do get the odd "sheep worrier", dog packs- the ones that manage to escape- will be a problem post SHTF, but think of them as free meat on the hoof..........err, paw!!