Bears Don't Fool Around

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by randyt, Sep 17, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    My BIG question is why would a Grizzly attack a tent and then drag off somebody? Small question, why was the dead man was not armed and prepared to defend himself from the bear?

The Innkeeper and randyt like this.
  3. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I wondered that too

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Only in areas where they are hunted enough to produce fear of humans in the population, do grizzlies not consider humans a food source. A grizzly has an incredible sense of smell and anything in a camp or on you that smells like food, triggers a predatory response. There have been many campers drug from tents, sleeping bags, camps and killed/eaten. Even by black bears
    Some people don't enter into bear country properly equipped.

It's an ugly thing to work a bear attack, reminds you that we are not always at the top of the food chain.

Dale

5. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Bacon midnight snack turns camper into midnight snack."

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This bit of Bacon was killed near San Antonio this weekend. It was tearing a golf course to pieces. This is about the most dangerous critter in Texas these days. That is 411 lbs of Feral Boar.

upload_2019-9-17_18-23-58.png

1. Dalewick
      Nice!

Dalewick, Sep 17, 2019
      TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
    2. Dalewick
      Texas still has cougars, doesn't it? Besides, Jaguars will be back before you know it.

Dalewick, Sep 17, 2019
      TMT Tactical likes this.
    3. CountryGuy
      Damn that's a big pig.... one heck of a pig pickin

CountryGuy, Sep 26, 2019
  8. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We have a few cougars and panthers but they don't seem to be very aggressive. I think that in Texas animals that act aggressively get killed fast and over time that adjusts the nature of the beasts. Even our Gators are pretty nice. Kids swim with them out at the state park all the time and they never bother anyone. About the only time, they bother you is when you are fishing. they hang around hoping for a fish dinner. If you throw one back the gator will go after it but other than that they don't bother anyone. Even the bobcats keep out of sight.

10. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Hunting pressure, it's a beautiful thing! Ya'll keep it that way or you'll end up like CO, CA or OR. Where the large kitties hunt people.

I have issues with all gators. Worked in the swamps with them. Nothing like having to release a 5 foot gator from a 330 conibear, by yourself. LOL! Close winner was a young cougar from a foot snare. LOL!

Dale

11. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I didn't see anything that indicated whether or not he was armed, and it's hard to be "prepared" when you're asleep.

Caribou likes this.
  12. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Snyper

No mention of him or his camping partner firing any shots either. Bear snorting around -- I doubt they do stealth mode -- Rips tent -- doubt bear was silent in that aspect either. That would give an armed person a small bit of time to fire at least one round.

Sonofliberty and The Innkeeper like this.
  13. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Many people that have been attacked by bears while in tents heard nothing before being ripped from their tent. Bears, even large grizzlies, can be completely quiet when they want to be.
    I know from past experience sometimes bears can move on you faster than you can get your weapon on them. Sometimes, even when your ready for a charge. Life happens.

Dale

14. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    It might be hard to get off a shot when you're awakened by a bear dragging you out of your tent.

Those are all really just assumptions.

It was dark, and even though there were "eyewitnesses", that doesn't mean they had a clear shot. It's quite likely all they saw was shapes in the dark as the bear drug the man into the woods.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Your camping mate is being dragged off, even if you do not have a clear shot, firing in to the air might, just might , get the bear to let of of your camping mate.

Yes my post was an assumption, based on what would happen in my camp. I get attacked, my camp mates will be armed and most likely get at least one shot off, even if it is just into the air.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  16. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    A few grizzly hunters get hunted. Unless a bear has become a terrible nuisance or overt danger, I don't understand hunting bear. So, my ancestors did; well, their motivation set was waaaaayyyyy different than nowadays. Bear renderings have different properties than domestic animals -- hounds howl up and down the hollar when bear meat is frying. As to hunting hogs ... kill'em all. Forestry folk HATE hogs; four legged rototillers.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/montana-grizzly-bear-attack-hunters

17. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I wish Sourdough would input on grizzlies some. He has more experience with than I do. My experiences in the lower 48 have been that even knowing and understanding their behavior may not keep you out of trouble. Their predictable until their not. Black bears are easy for me, maybe just from working and living around them so much, I understand what there going to do and why but grizzlies always seemed to throw the proverbial monkey wrench into the works.

I camp and work with people like you and somebody would get a shot off and I would hope that they shoot the bear , even if they hit me. I would rather be shot to death than eaten live by a bear.

Dale

18. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    If there population numbers aren't managed they do become major problems. The number of bear attacks in the lower 48 are directly related to the animals lack of fear of humans. We ARE on the menu. Most of wildlife management is managing human/wildlife interactions and habitat and listing an animal as endangered when it's population has far exceeded it's range, is not management. Grizzlies, like all other animals, do what they do even if it's destroying their own habitat. Elk and moose populations are being negatively affected by excessive predation as well as ranchers and shepherds taking higher than normal losses.

Grizzlies now routinely enter all of the cities and towns in the Yellowstone basin.

Dale

Caribou, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  19. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    This plays right into another thread we had a while back " developing animal instinct " . A couple of examples - many years ago my wife and I were camping in a remote mountain area " even before dark I sensed a bears presence so I sharpend me a stick with a pocket knife and fashioned a spear . I wasn't surprised when a bear showed up shortly after dark . We retreated into our cloth home made tent . The bear continued to walk around our little tent at a distance of one or two feet . We eventually dosed off to sleep and the bear was still standing beside our tent . Another example of animal instinct - Last fall my son and me were bear hunting in grizzly country . We back packed into a remote area and stopped for the night . We simply laid down on the ground to sleep , no shelter no tent no nothing as a protection barrier . Shortly after we laid down we could hear a large animal walking around just outside our visual range . Even though we were fairly certain it was a bear we also sensed this particular animal was not presenting a threat . We went peacefully to sleep with our rifles laying beside us even though he did wake us up a time or two when he got to crunching around in the leaves too close to us . During daylight I found a pile of bear crap just a few yards from where we slept , and apparently from a very large bear . I guess I can say I would bet my life on my animal instinct .

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  20. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    One of the scariest things about a griz is their stealth. Many times a was within far to close to agriculture before I knew they were there. They can move like the mist and be just that quiet when they want to be. Usually you will hear a black bear.

21. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here in East Texas, we have hog rodeos where teams compete to kill and bring in the most pounds of feral hogs over a weekend. they breed like rats and are destructive hell. There are no seasons on them and no restrictions on killing them any way that you want. Actually the same is mostly true for the big cats. that is why Texas big cats are shy and stay out of sight and well away from people.

22. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I had a cattle killer get within 15 feet of me before I heard anything. All I heard was his breathing. If he had wanted me, I wouldn't be writing this. The Reaper didn't want me that day.

Dale

23. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    Spooky ain’t they?

24. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    OH YEAH!!!

I've been in close proximity (25 feet or less) to some majorly dangerous animals (Grizzlies, cougars, jaguar, alligator, crocodiles, tiger, leopard, Asian elephants, cobras, etc) and most of North Americas smaller predators (black bear, wolves, coyotes, bobcats, caimans, wild hogs, etc), but nothing compares to the grizzlies. When it's a bad situation, it's like watching the grim reaper walking your way.

Dale

25. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not at ALL heartbroken that I'm the top of the food chain where I live. If I want to see a bear or a mountain lion I'll go to a zoo thank you. When I was younger I would lay down in the woods and sleep like a baby. Ran in the swamps all of my life until I moved north and never once had a gator bother me aggressively.

I did have one that wanted to take my fish once. He was freaking HUGE. He followed me to my truck. I was moving pretty fast and went right up on top of the roof. He walked around the truck a couple of times then left. He was somewhere between 14 and 16 feet long. He was about the same length as my regular cab F150 Ford truck. I fished in his hole on a regular basis and never had him bother me except that one time. Even then he wasn't chasing me. He was just following hoping for a handout. His name was Hebert that is pronounced A-Bear in Cajun country and everyone that fished there was familiar with him.

Did you know that a gator can outrun a quarter horse for 50 yards!! They can lift up off their belly and run like a danm greyhound for about that far before they start to overheat.

1. TMT Tactical
      I knew they could move BUT I did not know they could move that fast for that long. Thanks for the info.

TMT Tactical, Oct 5, 2019
    2. Dalewick
      I've seen a salt water croc do it, but never a gator. Not something you can forget.

Dalewick, Oct 14, 2019
  26. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    If the bears made no noise at all, then the campers failed in their due diligence. Why did they not have noise makers around their camp? I always do that when camping. Especially since I usually camp alone.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Dalewick
      LOL! So, you haven't meet many modern campers? As a wildlife biologist and park ranger, I was introduced to MANY people that should have never have been in the woods anywhere close to ANY wildlife. Especially bears! I've seen campers freak out over a squirrel. While others will walk right up to a black bear and offer it food. Then cuss me out when I ordered them back to there vehicle. I hate people. LOL!

Dalewick, Oct 14, 2019
      Sonofliberty likes this.
  27. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    a6dc084ba9debf4812e5cf7ca2e13e3f.gif

He couldn't catch me. I would be running on dry land and he would be slipping and sliding in poop !!!

Caribou, TMT Tactical and GateCrasher like this.
  28. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    I prefer to camp alone, with my son, or with close friends. I avoid "recreational campers" as they seem idiotic to me. One dumbass was standing next to some fresh bear scat lecturing me about carrying guns into the woods. I pointed to the scat and told him that was his future if he didn't change his attitude. He thought I was threatening him.

TMT Tactical, Dalewick and Morgan101 like this.
  29. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    One man will learn by reading a book. A few will learn by watching others. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. SOL: Your guy is in Category 3.

30. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Bro, you should try having to work with them. I was never a social person but working with the public, in connection with the wilds and wildlife I love, has made me hate humanity as a whole. Dumbasses rule the world....UNFORTUNATELY!

31. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    OK Dalewick, today Fox News posted a video just for you.

Here are some tourists visiting my neck of the woods. They came improperly equipped ... with brains. This is a video of people who have undergone a brainectomy (encephalotomy) or maybe its just that they were raised in a city. I personally have witnessed two idiots crossing a road to get photos of a black bear cub raiding a trash dumpster. I pulled my car over to watch them get eaten by momma bear, but she never came down out of the woods. I lost interest pretty quick, left them to their little "adventure". There was no mention in the papers of anybody getting chewed on. God is merciful to those who didn't earn such, I guess.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6095052068001/#sp=show-clips

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  32. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm half afraid to post this here but I hope folks here use better judgement than most.
    Black bear moms very rarely attack in defense of their cubs. While working, I've picked up a number of cubs with momma watching and huffing, popping her teeth, etc. etc., but never attacking us while we handled her cubs.
    NEVER DO THAT WITH A GRIZZLY!!! She will try to kill you!

I will add, unless you are a trained wildlife professional, NEVER TRY THIS!!!!

Dale

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Thanks for your information. I've only seen black bears a few times. Had one who kept gettin' into apple trees belonging to a neighbor. Never confronted one. Had a deer buck that wanted to nail my hide. Have had dogs climb me like a tree and bite through my hand. Only bears I've seen were in "keep on truckin'" mode. Saw one climb a tree faster than any squirrel. Hope you are right about them mostly being passive. Glad the only bears I've run across were on the east side of the Mississippi, i.e. black bears. Do keep a .308 loaded w/180 gr round nose soft points just in case. Saw a adolescent black bear cross the road in front of my vehicle on my small town's side of the mountain adjacent. They do sometimes come down out the mountains. Probably just hungry. Kids live nearby.

Old Geezer, Oct 15, 2019
      Morgan101 and Dalewick like this.
  33. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Got a wildlife rule. If their teeth are longer then mine, we don't hang out together. Squirrels, no problem, bears, they keep their distance, I will keep mine.

1. Old Geezer
      Funny!

Had our dog bare its fangs at me. Put my foot in its face. But it was being a good dog and protecting Grandma. I was teasing it. Risky business. Don't want no mean dog, but then again, somebody start grabbing my ladyfriend, I want them hurt.

Old Geezer, Oct 15, 2019
      Morgan101 and Dalewick like this.
  34. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    All were sleeping at the same time ?

Reminds me of that picture our former member, Duke from Wales, posted showing some idio....er, some climbers ... camping out in tents dangling on a rope under a cliff overhang.

I've camped in areas with creatures I prefer not to dine with.

Our headache, besides mosquitoes, was snakes.

The Boy Scout motto governs: Be prepared.

Prep, prep, prep.....

and factor in safety.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
    1. Dalewick
      In the army, while in Asia. I used to occasionally get woke up by a snake crawling over me. Sometimes a rat. Used to like snakes as a kid. Not such a fan anymore.

Watched 2 brothers die of snake bite. Ugly way to go.

Dalewick, Oct 16, 2019
      TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  35. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The snakes in the US are actually pretty nice critters. the Water Moccasin and the rattlesnake will politely warn you if you get to close to them and a coral snake is so deadly that it is a brightly colored gentle little critter. they don't really bite you. thy don't have fangs in the front and have to sort of chew on you. If you keep your fingers out of their mouth you are pretty safe. The Copper Head is a stupid little sucker that will just lay there and bite you if you get close. the good news is that after you get a bit da couple of times you seem to develop an immunity to their toxin.

The snakes that are in Asia, India, South America, and Australia are a totally different thing. They bite you out in the bush and you are just DEAD! Even the Rattle Snake and the Water Moccasin don't drop you all that fast and most of the time if you get to a hospital pretty soon you will survive. you will HURT and you may be scarred for life but you won't die in 10 minutes.

What I can't figure out is why Florida has so much trouble with the pythons and Anacondas and we don't seem to have as many here or in Louisianna as they do. We both have endless swamps and warm winters. The gators love it here so I would have expected the big snakes to do well here too. We do have a few of them but they don't seem to be multiplying as they have in Florida.

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  36. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Pythons and anacondas require just a little more warmth than LA or TX has in most winters to survive. One severe winter in FL, all the way down in the glades and the exotic snakes will be gone. They just haven't had one that far south in many years and these snakes can multiply fairly quickly. With abundant food and good habitat, they grow quicker than they do in there normal habitat where they do have several predators until they get to big.

As stated above, I am not a fan of Asia's snakes. That's a bad way to die and something you can't forget seeing.

Dale

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  37. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    You haven't met the Fer De Lance AKA the Costa Rican landmine. This is a highly aggressive snake and very venomous. https://www.ticotravel.com/24-fer-de-lance-facts/

I just moved back to Pensacola from Orlando. The temperature difference explains it all. The everglades is probably he limit for cold weather exposure that they can handle.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  38. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    We have been introduced. Unfortunately for him, I was carrying the 12 gauge that day. LOL! Also meet his evil brother, "Bushmaster". He didn't make it either. The tropical rattler's I meet seemed to have a much worse temper than there northern relatives. Hate snakes any more.

Dale

39. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Bad Snake rule --- If I am in their natural territory, I will leave them alone if they leave me alone. If they are in my territory (urban environment) then they have to go to the snake heaven in the sky. Children and pets change the treatment.

Caribou, Rebecca and Dalewick like this.
  40. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    One of the things I love about Canada..... no more Black Mambas or Boomslangs. Black Mambas are another snake with an attitude problem and boy can the move fast! Fastest snake in the world I believe. You can also die in as little as 20 minutes after being bitten.

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
    1. Dalewick
      Have heard several bad stories about black and green mambas. Still want to visit Africa one day. Only continent I haven't set foot on, yet.

Dalewick, Oct 28, 2019
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    That's what I like about American Nope Ropes (except moccasins, there evil) they leave me alone, if I leave them alone. Many of there tropical cousins (cobras, vipers, kraits, fer de lance, bushmasters, etc.) have the opposite attitude and loved chasing me. This did indeed lead to bad blood between us. As a private on my second patrol through Asian jungle a female cobra mistakenly thought I was attacking her nest (Hey, I'm walking here!) and proceeded to chase me for about 25 meters before a buddy ended here with the 12 Ga. This was the beginning of a hate / hate relationship that still persist. LOL!

Dale

PS - Soldiers NEVER FORGET anything funny that happens to you, and they don't let you forget it either.

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  42. Richard Earley

Richard Earley Well-Known Member
      97/115

Blog Posts:
    If you go camping do not take your food into your tent...If any critters want what they smell they will go to where it is...

TMT Tactical likes this.