Bee's wax

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by cluckeyo, Jun 19, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    If you keep bees, then you know that bee's wax is the best wax there is. It has a much higher melting point, so it can withstand more heat and last much longer. Freshy harvested wax can be very dirty. If so, it can be rendered and made golden in color. This is done by melting it gently and while leaving the sediment in the bottom of the pot, pouring the melted wax through several layers of cheese cloth. The very hot wax can be poured into a waxed cardboard milk carton where the sediment continues to gather at the bottom as it slowly cools and hardens. Makes great candles, among other important uses.

2. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the tips! What are some other uses for wax other than candles? I am just trying to think of other things you can use it for in survival mode. Whenever I go hiking I see someone is keeping bees up in the mountains and it makes me so happy to see that the bee population is thriving in my area.

cluckeyo likes this.
  3. cluckeyo

95/140

Blog Posts:
    It prevents rust, you can waterproof your shoes, makes drawers slide easily and doors close easily, you can make salves and balms with it, you can seal jars to preserve food, and there are a lot more uses. Bees are wonderful creatures. They provide us so much.

4. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Wow thanks for the tips about the different applications of beeswax. I know a few local friends who keep bees and I sometimes get some bees wax from them to make candles. I'll have to try some of these other uses too. I love the smell of the wax! I agree, bees are wonderful creatures! As long as you don't step on them, they usually leave you alone too!

5. cluckeyo

95/140

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad you can use that information. My Dad raised bees back in the day and taught me quite a bit about them. Honey is delicious! FYI: You can make honey cream by simply adding big spoon of pure honey cream to a jar of completely uncrystalled honey. Stir it good and let it sit in the fridge until it takes on the properties of the honey cream. Regular honey makes a course crystal. Honey cream is just honey that is crystalized using select honey that has a very fine crystal. You can gently melt regular crystalized honey and then add the scoop of fine honey cream to it. As long as every crystal was melted, that honey will take on the properties of the nice creamy honey cream.