Bee's wax

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by cluckeyo, Jun 19, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    If you keep bees, then you know that bee's wax is the best wax there is. It has a much higher melting point, so it can withstand more heat and last much longer. Freshy harvested wax can be very dirty. If so, it can be rendered and made golden in color. This is done by melting it gently and while leaving the sediment in the bottom of the pot, pouring the melted wax through several layers of cheese cloth. The very hot wax can be poured into a waxed cardboard milk carton where the sediment continues to gather at the bottom as it slowly cools and hardens. Makes great candles, among other important uses.

Brownbear likes this.
  2. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the tips! What are some other uses for wax other than candles? I am just trying to think of other things you can use it for in survival mode. Whenever I go hiking I see someone is keeping bees up in the mountains and it makes me so happy to see that the bee population is thriving in my area.

cluckeyo likes this.
  3. cluckeyo

95/140

Blog Posts:
    It prevents rust, you can waterproof your shoes, makes drawers slide easily and doors close easily, you can make salves and balms with it, you can seal jars to preserve food, and there are a lot more uses. Bees are wonderful creatures. They provide us so much.

4. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Wow thanks for the tips about the different applications of beeswax. I know a few local friends who keep bees and I sometimes get some bees wax from them to make candles. I'll have to try some of these other uses too. I love the smell of the wax! I agree, bees are wonderful creatures! As long as you don't step on them, they usually leave you alone too!

5. cluckeyo

95/140

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad you can use that information. My Dad raised bees back in the day and taught me quite a bit about them. Honey is delicious! FYI: You can make honey cream by simply adding big spoon of pure honey cream to a jar of completely uncrystalled honey. Stir it good and let it sit in the fridge until it takes on the properties of the honey cream. Regular honey makes a course crystal. Honey cream is just honey that is crystalized using select honey that has a very fine crystal. You can gently melt regular crystalized honey and then add the scoop of fine honey cream to it. As long as every crystal was melted, that honey will take on the properties of the nice creamy honey cream.

6. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I checked on my tribes bee hives yesterday . We went into the winter with four hives . It appears three came through and one succumbed . It will be nice to have something sweet when the stores or no more . A few flowers are blooming here now , but I didn't see anything on the legs of the returning bees to their homes .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've got beeswax in my preps.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Beeswax is perfect for lubricating the zips on your coats, waterproof and not sticky. Makes the zip run smoothly.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most natural remedies/creams have beeswax as its base.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We used plain old soap on the large zippers of our fatigues.

Back in the day, bees' wax mixed with bear grease made the sealant my kin used in black powder firearms. Don't ask me why the bear lard. Haven't a clue. Something was different about bear grease. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O My kin told me that when frying up bear meat, that all the dogs ("dawgz") up in the holler went bat sh## crazy barking. No, I've never ett bear meat, nor would I ever. Holy Christ, that would be cannibalism. The men I knew on both sides of my family WERE bears. Maybe kin kilt bears because they thought they had to. ... ??? ... People back then did. Never ever, once, ever had that conversation even with the old timers. Odd? Sh##, I just don't know. Those folk were born in the 1800s. They never brought up the topic of killing bears. I never asked. My pap's pap killed a hog ("hawg" up on a mountain bald, was winter, he rode that pig carcass down off that mountain like it was his sled -- my lot had a mighty sense of humor ... when they weren't killing).

A great-grandfather of mine had a hog's leg Colt percussion revolver he had to carry while plowing his fields. He and a brother-in-law were in a feud to the death. I don't know how that went down, but I do know that my great-grandpaw wasn't killed. Only rifle my pap (Mom's dad) had was a percussion rifle, .32 caliber (00 buckshot is around .32 cal.; add a ticking patch and guess what you have diameter-wise). Folk did with that which they had. "Beware the man with one rifle."

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cotton+ticking&qs=n&form=QBIR&sp=-1&lq=0&pq=cotton ticking&sc=10-14&cvid=2659446CEF054686BF8C6BB4EB826672&ghsh=0&ghacc=0&first=1&cw=1494&ch=893

"Danl Boone cilled a bar, 1775" Maybe 1773???? I think that's what this reads. Was found carved into some ancient dead tree in Boone's Creek, TN god only knows how many decades back. As kids, we laughed about it. When playing "cowboys and Indians", most of us boys wanted to be the Indians. Due to kin????? Anyway, we spent untold hours practicing with our bows and arrows. I'm sure the archery led me to become a better rifleman. Brain wiring is brain wiring.

OOPS! It was 1760.

upload_2024-3-5_4-3-34.png

upload_2024-3-5_4-1-17.png

1. Old Geezer
      By the by, I used to be by-god deadly with my compound bow (50-pounder). Break a Life-Saver breath-mint at 20 yards. I've split many an arrow shaft with another arrow (so I had to move out to 40+ yards; too expensive for this po-boy; heaven only knows how many fletchings I trashed with another arrow). Much better bows are available today. I should get out there and start practicing again (I had my original bow re-strung). One of my physical therapists said that archery strengthens the back muscles which hold the spine in its proper position = I've zero excuse NOT to get up off my butt and practice. As a teenager, once broke my back in the thoracic area; an x-ray taken in my 50s revealed this; "Shake it off, boy!" Holy crap, I've gotten soooooooo lazy!

Old Geezer, Mar 5, 2024
      TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    sorry mate, Robin Hood was English!! and the English longbow was the best archery weapon in the world bar none, remember Agincourt!!:D:p

TMT Tactical likes this.