Beginner Garden Troubles

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by EarlyMarksman, Apr 2, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. EarlyMarksman

EarlyMarksman Master Survivalist
      262/345

Blog Posts:
    Recently made a post about my first time gardening, and well....hasn't gone too well. Two of my plants have already bitten the dust and one of my tomato plants is turning brown and dying. I watered them for the first two days for about half a minute to a minute per plant, then we had rain the third day, didn't water them the fourth day, and today went out there to find them suffering agonizing deaths. We also have had a couple random cold nights (I live in Alabama so we aren't used to cold weather at all right now), so that could've come into play as well. Today I just held the water hose on them for a few seconds. Probably suffocated all of them at this point and was wondering if anyone knew what the issue is.

Proton Entropy and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Proton Entropy

Proton Entropy Expert Member
      128/173

Blog Posts:
    Do you have any pictures? Perhaps it's easier to see what's wrong then.

Did it go so cold that you got frost? That would probably kill your plants.

Believe it or not, but the roots actually need air to breath or the plants will suffocate!
    Tomatoes I usually put in pots on trays and fill up about an inch of water. It's important to let that water be used/dried up or they will rot or suffocate. Kind of like a manual ebb and flood system.

Dalewick, Blitz and EarlyMarksman like this.
  3. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:

Since this post the garden has been growing. Some of our plants are looking great while others seem to be having some difficulty. I put some 8-8-8 fertilizer around each plant and we've had heavy rainfall today. Hopefully this fixes the issue. I may or may not post pictures on here.

Dalewick and Proton Entropy like this.
  4. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    As Proton says, overwatering will absolutely kill your plants. People tend to think they need to water constantly and keep the soil constantly wet. The plants just end up getting root rot and suffocate.

5. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:
    I was told the other day by my uncle who grew up farming that I shouldn't water the garden during the daytime. I live in Alabama so it gets hot in springtime, and he was saying that the sun was heating up the water and burning the plants. Been watering at nighttime for the past few days and we will see if it eventually clears up.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Your uncle is right. You should only water in the early morning and late afternoon. Apart from anything else, if you water during the day when it's very hot, you end up wasting water as it evaporates and the sun dries it up more quickly - the plants don't absorb as much water. A good, solid water in the evening (and in the morning if it's really hot) is the way to go.

EarlyMarksman and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for that tidbit.

TMT Tactical likes this.