Being able to defend yourself in a foreign country traveling

Discussion in 'Safety' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 16, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Here's a topic about safety I have been wondering about. Ever plan on going to another country? Sure, you can enjoy the scenery, the sights, the food, but you also have to look out for thieves, pickpockets, and even muggers. Apparently tourists are their meat, and there are countless ways that they can get into your pockets without you even knowing. So here's my question, is it essential for a traveler to know basic (or even advanced) self defense tactics, like maybe a form of martial art, or carrying with them a taser? What do you guys think?

2. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    The last thing you want to do is get into fights when you are traveling abroad. odds are you won't know the places that well and you could be arrested any way and locked up in jail if you commit a crime wherever you are. To be safe you need to stay away from places where you are more likely to be attacked.

For the adventurous try to blend in with the locals. If you don't act or look like a tourist few people will be interested in stealing from you.

3. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    The types of delinquents you have specified don't require advanced techniques to fight off or even a weapon. The latter can actually endanger you if they suspect that you are armed because they might attack first to subdue you possibly killing or maiming you. The best option is deterrence. Making a potential mugger or pickpocket know that you are aware of his intentions through sideways glances is enough to make them stay clear. They fear being discovered in the planning stages since they might not know what you are up to.

4. EarlAlexander

EarlAlexander New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Yes he should, a person in a foreign country should at least be able to defend himself or should be prepared to defend himself if attacked. In most country people feel that foreigners are not aware or wise on getting to another country so they feel like exploiting them, a well prepared person would be able to defend himself unlike someone who is not prepared. Some foreigner often think that when they are in other country there should be protected by the government of that country so they feel being equipped in case of emergency is not needed, but the simply truth is that no country gives serious attention to tourist who visits what they are after is money, so if your are planning to visit any country be prepared to learn some survival tactics or be equipped with small legal weapon.

Crys B. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In Australia the government has made it illegal to purchase anything for the purpose of self defence, that includes Australian citizens! Pepper sprays, tasers, knives, guns, anything that could be used as a weapon. A walking stick is about the only thing you might get away with carrying. A spray perfume in a woman's handbag is an option.
    Keith.

6. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    When I was in the Marines and on liberty I always had a bola belt looked like a belt wore like a belt but was a awesome weapon I left that belt in Turkey and the guys I left it with most likely did not like the gift I have them.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    It is ironic that when I am in a foreign country, I tend to be a bit careless because I am too trusting. And in fairness to me, I have never experienced anything bad like losing my wallet to pickpockets or snatchers. I said ironic because I am doubly careful when I am in my country. I grew up with the prevalence of crime and being robbed in broad daylight is a high probability especially if you are a woman. Most of my colleagues in the office have that taser to protect them in case of a crime. For me? I just avoid the crowded streets and I feel safer.

8. EarlAlexander

EarlAlexander New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    It seems the Australian government is not taking law and security seriously because having a small weapon for self defense shouldn't be a problem. For the government to restrict those equipment then they should tighten up security to avoid the thought of thinking about self defense.

9. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    When I travel I probably look destitute enough that no one would think to try and mug me anyway! I definitely don't travel wearing flashy stuff - no jewelry, no brand names splashed about on clothing, no designer sunglasses...I do think blending in and not looking like a target is a wise thing to do.

In saying that, some places it's nigh impossible to blend in - you're going to stand out simply from physical appearance - so I do think having some kind of self defense skills is useful. But again, if you get in a fight then you might be dealing with corrupt cops and more...

10. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I think people should be able to defend themselves in any situation. When traveling abroad this becomes even more important. Around here tourists have always been marked targets for muggings and robberies. Also, there are a lot of crooked sales people who try to sell regular stuff like water bottles at exorbitant prices to tourists. So I guess doing some research is essential before you travel abroad. Research prices, locations, common types of scams applied to tourists and of course know how to defend yourself against different types of styles and weapons is a must.

11. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    You are right. It is encouraged you learn any of the fighting techniques and the use of weapon. But note, do not try it on harmless civilians and do not think you can outwit someone with a gun, never try that.

12. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I agree with the civilian part. Once we are trained we're expected to be able to escalate the amount of force necessary to defend ourselves. As for the gun, it's a complicated question. I had "some" disarming and avoiding gunfire training but I would definitely think twice before going up against someone with a gun, If I was alone that is. If the life of a loved one was in danger I don't think I'd have much choice but to do something about it. While I don't advise anyone taking a firearm head on sometimes we don't have a choice. Given the training I had I think I'd stand a better chance of accomplishing something even if that something was trading my life for theirs.

Anniee likes this.
  13. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Though I haven't went to any martial art training, but I read tons of articles and publications which indicate clearly, the number one safety measure is get out of that place if you can. And look for the safest exit, always scan your surroundings to understand where the exit door for emergencies is. And never put yourself in danger because of that feeling you are trained. Well, I guess the trainees uphold that because I've met some whom you wouldn't tell by their appearance if they haven't tell you and they wouldn't tell you for the sake of it.

14. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Appearances can be and usually are deceiving. With some training however you can have a glimpse of who has a mild notion of self-defence and who hasn't. Usually, a trained person will have a firm posture, a stern glance and will more often than not sustain visual contact. Ever hear of the "Eyes, windows of the soul" thing?"Well it is partially true. Also 95% of the time a trained person will avoid conflict and avoid being the "center of attention" Ever see that loud mouthed fella who's cursing at everyone? That one most likely isn't the one who's going to take part in the real action. A trained person knows what he or she is capable of. There is no need for bragging.

15. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I understand. You know what keeps me away from joining a martial arts class, I heard they do it in real time, like the kicks and the blows. Don;t think I can endure that. Or is that just a hearsay? What is your experience?

16. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Keep in mind some people practice just for competition or for exercise but if your teacher has any real-life self-defence notion then yes he will put you through it. It's all part of reality. Within reason of course. No teacher will be crazy enough to let a student get injured for nothing. Still, my advice for you is getting some basic training, learn the basics and you'll be that much closer to defending yourself. Most people out there are lousy fighters if you have some basic knowledge you'll be better than most. You might even enjoy it ;)

17. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    The First good thing to do before you enter in a Foreign country is to do deep research about that invironment, You need to know safe places and what people are like in order for you to minimize those things like people pickpocketing you and may be hurt you, As a survivor you have to be very careful and learn some basic words of their language can save you from lot of things which include defending yourself in case it become legal thing.

Crys B. likes this.
  18. Huggy212

Huggy212 New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Never fight when you are not in your country, nothing good will happen if you do. I had been to some of the most beautiful places on Earth and you really need to be careful anywhere you will go. In rome you will be advice by your tourist guide for pickpockets in the streets this just means anywhere you go that you are unfamiliar you must not bring your valuable and a lot of cash. I had been in Saintpetersburg Russia and this is the most scary country i had been. You will walk across some real gangster and you will not want to fight them in any form. I believe you do not need self defence when your in a foreign territory. You just need to know where are the nearest police stations.

19. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I would think first though before going to that country. I would research the place because for sure you won't be able to travel to all parts of those country right. Prevention is better than cure. So as much as possible, avoid those kinds of places. There are muggers and thief and murderers everywhere so you must be very careful where you are heading.

Crys B. likes this.
  20. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I have had the opportunity to travel a bit over the last 10 years. My wife is a trauma surgeon, so we have been to medical conferences in difference foreign locales. I always check on the local laws regarding knives. If I am in a knife permissive environment, then my first stop is to purchase two knives. One for each pocket. My belt is a rather benign looking woven latigo leather money belt with a roll of US quarters in it. It slips in and out of my cargo pants really easily and becomes a nasty impact, ligature weapon. In Mexico, Central or South America...then guns are NOT hard to buy if you have the cash. You can buy a 38 Super, or 9mm in Panama for about $200 American. You probably won't have to use it...and when it comes time to leave...you dump it. But it is a risk you have to be willing to take.

If I am in a non permissive knife environment and a gun is WAY out of the question...then I carry one of the "hiker's walking sticks" that you can purchase at any hiking or sporting goods store.

The bigger issue is....DON'T LOOK LIKE PREY. In other words look like you know what you're doing, look like you know what everyone else around you is doing, where they are, and you look like a bad victim. Human predators choose the easiest or weakest prey. Don't look like the crippled gazelle. Look like another lion and that just comes from being aware and not having your head up your butt.

I am also nearly 6'5" and 280lbs. I walk erect with my head on a swivel, and I pay attention. I have never had anyone truly decide I was worth tangling with.

Morgan101 likes this.
  21. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Getting older has one really nice thing. Nobody can say anything about my walking sticks. What I carry may look like a regular cane but Cold Steel makes canes that are tough as an aluminum baseball bat. My wood canes are made for stock handling and are a little longer and heavier than a walking cane. I am seriously thinking about a Cold Steel sword in a cane.

The fact is though that you are right. If you don't look like a victim predators will pass on you and find easier prey. I must look a lot more like a predator than prey. Even when someone acts like they want to make a run at me when they see me grinning they back off.

22. Crys B.

Crys B. Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:
    Flashlight. Get a flashlight you can put on your key chain. And always keep your key chain in your hand.

I learned this trick on a youtube channel from a guy named Rafaello Urbani aka Metatron. He said that he learned it from someone in the US military.

So, you take a flashlight, one that can click on easily, and you shine it in their eyes. It blinds them temporarily and you have a few seconds head start to run.

23. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I never have run and am too old to start now. How about using that flashlight as a weapon? My mag light makes a dandy club. Smaller ones make decent skull crackers.

Morgan101 and Crys B. like this.
  24. Crys B.

Crys B. Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:
    If you're a lady, like me, maybe your purse can be used to give a nice whack.

25. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't know that any of this advice should be restricted to use in a foreign country. You should always be prepared to defend yourself no matter where you are. Having some type of Self-Defense training is always helpful. Knowing what you can improvise to make a weapon is helpful. Avoidance and Situational awareness might be best. If it looks like things will get dicey then leave.

At this stage I agree with TexDanm, but I don't run. I waddle quickly.

26. pacmantacman

pacmantacman Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Consider carrying a metal water bottle, and try to keep it at least half full. This is what I carry aboard as my go to weapon. I carry it by the neck, casually, swinging it as I walk naturally. Nobody notices I’m holding an incredibly effective club. It’s right there in my hand ready to swing, and it hits as hard as a rock. It fits in my back pocket when I want my hands free.

I walk it right by security guards, police, and everyone else. I also like to stay hidrated, and sometimes go to third world hot places, so water is a must. And in an emergency I can use it to boil if I can’t get safe bottled water.

However traveling safely overseas requires a variety of skills that go way beyond martial arts training and weapons.

I would suggest starting by going to the website travel.state.org and go to the “travel advisories” section. That will give you good advice on unique threats to Americans in that area and recommend responses to mitigate threats.

27. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    On liberty, if we had to wear our uniform, I kept a roll of quarters rolled up in the black neckerchief. It worked as a fist load, a flail, and emergency money if needed lol

28. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    I like pacman's metal water bottle and SonofLiberty's roll of quarters trick! I wish I would have thought of that years ago. It could have come in handy.

What I did probably would not fly well in most places, but I was too scared at the time to care. When I was 19 years old, I had to ride the New Orleans city buses through rough neighborhoods to get to my apartment from night classes. The scariest part was having to get off of one bus and change over to another (with VERY uncomfortable wait times standing at the bus stops at night).

I was too broke to afford a gun and although I carried a knife, I wasn't confident in having only one means of defense. I wanted something more until I could get my hands on something better, or until my class schedule change request took effect...whichever came first.

I settled for keeping one hand on a super thick and heavy 2 ft. length of chain, camouflaged in a paper grocery bag. I figured if a little old lady could wop a thug upside the head with her warbag of a heavy purse, I should be able to do one better with my monster chain. Fortunately, I never had to use it because I was wound up like a tight spring, ready to swing hard in a flash, and hopefully slice some meat with the knife as well.

Never mess with a desperate woman!

Sonofliberty likes this.
  29. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Then you got a little bit more mature (never use the word older when referring to a Ladies age) you graduated to the Bayou Disappearing act.

30. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Not guilty, by the grace of God.

I admit that I wanted to “feed the alligators” a time or two, though. Fortunately my good senses won, and I never did any such thing.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  31. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Aha, but you thought about it.

32. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes I did, back in the days when I was young and dumb(er).

As I mentioned on another thread:

“About that Bayou thing? Once upon a time, this might have been pretty close to the truth. But now? No way! Over the years, I've developed a superpower: it is difficult for anyone to anger me, even if they tried. I can only blame it on a refinement of my spiritual growth.”

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  33. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I can go from 0 to "feeding the pigs" in .01 seconds. Just let someone lay their hands on my kids and stand back. Aside from that it is pretty hard to piss me off. You would really have to work at it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I do not see the need for me to ever go overseas again, I will just stay where I am thanks! I am safe here:D

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I not only have fed gators several times when I was young, but I also swim with them all the time. When I was a kid I wanted to wrestle with them as Tarzan did with the crocs at the movies. fortunately, Gators are generally gentle creatures unlike crocs and refuse to play even when I chased them.

There are gators that are swimming with the kids in the lake at the state park here. Seriously, they are not a very aggressive critter and most people get bit because of stupidity...partially on the part of the people and partly on the part of the Gators. If people feed them they learn to connect the human shape with food. When a human shows up they come to them expecting to get fed and don't understand that people are not food. If you don't feed them they have little interest in people. Even when they bite people they never much actually eat them. People are just too big for them to eat.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Was getting pizza this arvo, sitting there waiting I noticed a scumbag with a rather big knife and what was probably a mask approach.
    At about ten meters out we locked eyes, just a second later he had vanished and a car beating it down the road could be heard. No weapon was needed:D

TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, I have the same effect on people, a female person once tried to throw herself through a shop window just to avoid me and I was just walking down the road minding my own business.
    someone once told me post SHTF if he saw me and hadn't met me before, he would "shoot first and ask questions afterwards", charming I thought!!:p (I do tend to look like a cross between "hagrid" in the harry potter films and ZZ TOP!!!)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    This could be the start of a really bad or a really good barroom joke...

(ZZ Top tune on the jukebox, of course)

Old guy and Lonewolf walk into a bar...

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.