Besides wood, what is the next best thing for a permanent shelter?

Discussion in 'Permanent Shelters' started by branchd77, Jan 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    As far as man made shelters go, what would you build your permanent shelter from?

2. Jason

Jason Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    Heavy canvas and or hides that can be sewed together.

3. marc'

marc' Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Anything you can get ya hands on..little bit of creativity :)

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    look for any abandoned or dilapidated building or structure, portacabins, caves are good but can be damp, anything you can adapt and use.

MKprepper likes this.
  5. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Concrete ain't bad. On the farm I grew up on grandad had done some experiments with concrete, like a chicken coop and some stuff. You can use old bicycles or whatever scrap metal for rubar.
    Concrete is about as permenent at it gets.
    Stone shelters fixed with clay is the choice for alot of people also.

GateCrasher likes this.
  6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    A shelter is a must to survive long term what is there to use there are many things to use build now the possiblities are endless after shtf not so much a lonewolf makein shelter is limited by what he can move and do on his own a team can do more to move and build but they too are limited what tools do you have to use what weather are you going to have in most shtf power is gone fuel is hard to get noise is a problem in giveing away your location if you fire up a chainsaw people are going to come oh they have we need some friedly most not !!!! PREPARE NOW WHILE ITS EASY. Even if shtf never happens you still will have a place to go just to leave the rat race for awhile

7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Shelter after shtf what iteams are everywhere easy to gather and use shipping pallets and cardboard with these a very nice shelter can be made quick and easy the pallets are uniform in size so no cutting and cardboard is great for insulation easy to cut to shape and to move to place a wagon would work to haul a wagon is a very valueble tool after shtf

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A friend built his house with survival in mind. It is cinder block walls with cement poured into the holes. It is two story and he surrounded the bottom with a layer of old telephone poles. The roof is flat with a 4" cinder block wall all the way around and a gazebo like thing in the middle. Other than the door the ground floor only has narrow 12" wide windows that are more gun ports than windows. It is heated with wood and can go off line easily. It is backed up into a huge forest that is owned by a lumber company so he will never have neighbors. The land has been in his family for a long time and he has a special agreement with the lumber company that if he sells they get the right to match any offer her gets. In exchange for this he has hunting rights on their 25,000 acres. Mike is like me and bugged out 30 or so years ago into a very similar area near a small redneck town.

Sonofliberty and Radar like this.
  9. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    If you can use whatever you want and have access to...
    cinderblocks
    I've seen homes made from newspapers, as well as bales of hay and covered in concrete; logs cut into cylindrical slices and held together with concrete like they are stones.
    Stone homes with thick walls stay cooler in the summer, from what I've seen and felt.
    Earth homes
    Dome homes made from concrete are supposedly nearly tornado proof.

10. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    depends where a person is, sod or snow has been used, adobe, rammed earth. Maybe a bunch of old car hoods.

Radar likes this.
  11. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I toured a property in Central Texas on a hillside where a prepper was building geodesic domes into the hillside using steel rebar on a pattern on the ground for two different triangles and wiring them together to create the dome shape in rebar then covering with chicken wire then pouring concrete over to form the dome. Once poured he would then cover the whole dome with earth. He had built at least 8 domes and connected them all with tunnels made the same way. He was in process of building more. He said the only real drawback he had encountered was the need to remove the moisture from the air in the domes due to human breath. Air Conditioning was a must have. It seemed fairly easy to build and pretty affordable. They built the domes by hand and even mixed and spread the cement by hand.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I'd be a little concerned about underground homes in some areas since there is some shifting that occurs and it could crack it. Some places in Texas are like that and watering the soil, they say, helps prevent shifting and cracking of a foundation.
    Rammed earth, yes, @randyt , that's the other thing. Some good videos for it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you can make walls out of discarded tyres rammed with earth, bags filled with earth.
    I suppose if you have them you can live in caves like early man did, no caves in my locale.
    plenty of old abandoned barns though, no longer needed for modern farming.
    people have built houses out of straw bales which you then plaster on the outside to make them waterproof, very thick walls!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Another vote for reinforced concrete, like Insulated Concrete Forms. ICF is the ultimate prepper home IMO, or at least at middle-class home costs. Superior in nearly every way to stick or brick homes; nearly air tight, greater insulation rating/energy efficiency for use off-grid or grid-down, fire/flood/wind resistant, much greater ballistic protection, higher radiation protection factor, rodent proof and insect resistant, and better sound proofing. For the OPSEC-minded, once the siding is on there's no external evidence that the house is concrete. Most people that enter mine don't even realize it's ICF, the only noticeable difference being the width of the walls (over 13" thick, 8 of which is concrete) when walking through the entry doors and the depth of the window sills.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think the ready mixed concrete firms will be working post SHTF, mixing it by hand is laborious work, I know I've done it.

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  16. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Right, that's why to build your permanent shelter now. Fires, tornadoes, flash floods, hurricanes, home invasions, terrorist attacks, etc don't provide much notice. The concrete also needs time to cure before it reaches its full strength, for ICF with commercial strength concrete it can cure for years inside the forms.

Here's a subdivision where the S really HTF (fire), only the three ICF homes survived.

239220c92b3245feba795cdaf44e643a.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I wish I had the land to build this on, I don't, I live in a normal British house on the edge of an English country town.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  18. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    My vote is for earth sheltered reinforced concrete, it's an expensive way to build but if you do it right you'll never have to worry about maintenance or heating costs ever again.

GateCrasher, Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  19. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The list of things that you can use to build a house is almost endless. Bales of straw that you then cover with stucco, plastic bottles, Aluminum cans, people made sod houses for centuries, straw thach, adobe mud bricks, At one time Hienekenmade their beer bottles so you could build eco friendly places with them,

https://laughingsquid.com/heineken-wobo-a-beer-bottle-brick-for-building-eco-homes/
    abc9b0c9dcccee2378a6e823c52a489e.gif
    [​IMG]

Like I said, the list is endless...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in the past you would build your house from what was available in that area, a wooded area would have wooden houses, a mostly rock area would have house made of that, sod houses out in the middle of the prairie, I heard of adobe brick houses down in Mexico, more modern eco materials are earth bags and straw bales.

Aerindel and TMT Tactical like this.