Best Animal For The Apocalypse?

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Levi Seller, Jun 19, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:

Until Keith gets back on this thread, I would like to show you what I would probably do with rabbit skins, if I had enough of them to make a blanket. Because rabbit hides are notoriously thin and tear easily, especially if sewn together, some Native American tribes rolled strips of rabbit hide and used them to weave with cordage.

Here are some ways the First Americans did it:

http://www.primitiveways.com/rabbit_skin_blanket.html

https://books.google.com/books?id=jp0EKqkWfTkC&pg=PA124&lpg=PA124&dq=make+coat+from+rolled+up+rabbit+skins&source=bl&ots=O2Qn10i_XE&sig=ACfU3U2lVO4b9fYU243HeL10ujGtClbtjA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj367j__dvgAhVLd6wKHQlzC1o4FBDoATAJegQIARAB#v=onepage&q=make coat from rolled up rabbit skins&f=false

(scroll down this site just a little for a brief description of another way of weaving with rabbit skins)

https://books.google.com/books?id=jw_zVl0ULsUC&pg=PA129&lpg=PA129&dq=make+coat+from+rolled+up+rabbit+skins&source=bl&ots=ENbc4ceXAq&sig=ACfU3U08ivXyJ_cPLtXiEweIVvewJzoHPA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjxxKih_dvgAhVEnq0KHbspAtc4ChDoATAFegQICRAB#v=onepage&q=make coat from rolled up rabbit skins&f=false

Here is a handy description of the different rabbit breeds and their fur quality. https://www.raising-rabbits.com/different-types-of-rabbits.html

Of course, you might want to also take into consideration that which of these breeds would be the easiest to raise under less than optimum conditions, as well. Some purebred rabbits will not thrive under certain conditions. For example, the super longhairs may not thrive in hotter climates than their shorthair cousins, etc.

Good luck and have fun researching your rabbit projects!

2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    @GrizzlyetteAdams

Outstanding post, as usual. A lot of worth while info and somethings to research. Thanks for posting.

3. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, kind sir!

I enjoy helping folks, so it was fun. Coffee's post jogged my memory of the traditional ways our First Americans made blankets with rabbit skins...and off I went in Google land to bring back the loot!

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i cant get enough rabbit meat myself, at the moment we have a good supplier of goat meat.
    small animals will be best to keep post SHTF, rabbits, guinea pigs, chickens, ducks, geese etc.

Ystranc and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Kevin L.

Kevin L. New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I think the best animal for the apocalypse depends upon where you live.

Here in Florida, I would gravitate toward goats, or wild pigs.

Up north in New England?

I would try to cultivate deer, and yes....it can be done.

Out west, I suppose cattle would be best.

In desert areas in New Mexico or Navada? I would say that goats will be best.

Just stay away from fainting goats.

And learn about how to castrate goats, keep their milk going, poultices to put on sore udders, and so on.

6. RhondaFord

RhondaFord New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    The best animals for the apocalypse are small mammals and pigs. You can eat them, produce them on the farm, hunt them.
    But in order to cook them correctly you will need the right kitchen appliances.
    I use special knives for cooking meat. Have you ever used best boning knife? This knife is very convenient, the blades are very sharp and it is easy to cut any kind of meat. The handle fits comfortably in your hand and when using it the hand does not get tired. Blades sharpen very well. You can also see best knife block. These knives are also very comfortable and very easy to handle with cutting everything.

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Colorado Prepper

Colorado Prepper Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I've never had rabbit. Goat/lamb is just too gamey for me to enjoy. I'd definitely eat it, in a eat it or die situation. Guinea Pig? I've heard of eating them and I wonder how it tastes. Out here in Colorado, we have a problem with prairie dogs. Anyone know if they are good eating? I see some fat ones crossing the road a lot. Might be a decent food source.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I like rabbit meat when I can get it, going to collect some more goat meat on Saturday, its a regular meal in our house, its much leaner than farmed meat.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I have never cooked or eaten prairie dog, but it is said to taste a bit like squirrel but kind of oily and gamey.

So, my Cajunfied Creole way to solve that problem would be to parboil it, then add it to a good gumbo or sauce piquant, or smother it in a Creole sauce. Or, if your culinary resources are scarce, parboil the meat in water for about thirty minutes, drain and add fresh water along with, salt, wild field garlic, and onions. Cook until it begins falling off the bone. Debone the meat and add it to whatever you have going on... soups, stews, etc.

Bon appetit!

10. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    GA, come SHTF, I am going to hide all my critters if you come to visit. I don't think there is any critter safe from your gumbo pot. Sure glad you draw the line on two legged critters.

Morgan101 likes this.
  11. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    m

been wanting to make a rabbit skin blanket for some time. My indian friend tells me I need about a hundred rabbit skins.

On another note I would imagine prairie dog would taste a lot like woodchuck and wood chuck is a good meat.

12. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    I’m surprised that no one mentioned guinea pigs and their kin. High protein, used by many in South America, fast prolific breeders. Quiet

13. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Fish ponds with the inhabitants not on the list ?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Actually they are on my list. Rabbits and Guinea pig. Both are fast breeders but the Guinea pigs will provide the needed fat content. Grow their feed and they will feed you.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  15. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sorry it has taken so long for a reply, yet again I recieved no notification!
    To be their best, you really need to tan any animal skin including rabit, but yes you can just sew them together for clothing or a cloak. Trimming the skins down to a regular shape makes it easier than leaving the leg strips intact. Obviously if you are going to use them for clothing/blanket/matchcoat/cape then you could slit the skin from crotch to neck, just like any other animal, unless you are going to dry them on a frame or board, in which case you top & tail & pull the skin off intact in one piece. Wire coat hangers make a quick & easy frame to slip inside the complete skin (flesh side out of course).

If taken off in one piece, as a tube, you can also make a quick pair of survival moccasins. The video that Yenix has posted shows this method very well.
    Keith.
    Cloaks: https://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-indigenous-australian-matchcoat-or.html

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  16. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    To my way of thinking, keeping animals for food takes up a lot of time. My family used to keep rabbits, & my uncle used ferrets & whippets when trapping & hunting rabbits, but frankly we only bother keeping chooks & ducks. They don't take up a lot of time, & they both produce eggs & meat. Any other meat we need I can trap or hunt.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical and The Innkeeper like this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    chickens, rabbits and guinea pigs don't take up a lot of space, many people kept chickens and rabbits in their back yards during WW2 to supplement their rations.

18. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    For the sake of leaving suitable habitat and a breeding population wild rabbits are an easy food source.

19. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    When I had rabbits and chickens, I had a bit of an eco-system going on. I kept earthworms in beds of garden soil beneath the rabbit cages. The worms recycled the stuff that fell from the cages plus my donated kitchen scraps. The chickens loved eating the numerous black soldier fly grubs that often showed up and the occasional earthworm that they managed to reach. Worm beds that were not disturbed were home to the finest nightcrawlers ever! (Nightcrawlers will stick around and multiply if their home base is not frequently disturbed.)

20. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Whatever type of animal , bird or fish someone wants for the apocalypse it needs to be obtained now if they don't already have it . It takes preparation to be able to care for a critter , such as fencing , shelter or proper environment . Then after S.H.T.F. there is the problem of finding someone willing to give up the critter you seek . Another problem , if the power is down , how are you going to get it with no fuel ? Another consideration is feed for your survival critter , especially during the winter months , with no fuel for motorized equipment or feed store to run to . This is where someone already bugged in has a big advantage over someone planning to flee to another location . I consider a survival critter to be a very important key to long range survival . I grew up on a farm where we produced nearly all our food manually , using a horse and plow and caught fish from the river that run through our property so I don't have to speculate on what substance living would be like .

21. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Just want to say that I cannot add one thing of value to this thread, but I have learned a lot, and thoroughly enjoyed you sharing your knowledge. Thank you all for posting.

22. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for starting this thread Levi, it has prompted plenty of participation & discussion.
    Regards, Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Just food for thought (sorry could not resist). We talk about our stored food and keeping or hunting critters but has anybody give thought to what nutritional balance our diet would be like? It just suddenly dawned on me that like sailor of ancient times, we may have plenty of food but not have a balanced type of diet, and suffer from the lack of certain vitamins or other nutritional imbalances. I can see a need to create a menu based on what you will have available to you in a post SHTF world. What vitamins will you need, how long do they really last, what animals will be needed and what other foods will be required, that grow or can be grown in your neck of he woods. That also brings us back to the point of living on site or bugging out to a site. Living on site will allow more flexibility in the menu, since you live it daily but bugging to the site, will mandate a long period of living off stored foods. Just my feeble thought for the day.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Keith H. and poltiregist like this.
  24. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Bugging in is made a lot more viable if you begin a program of planting semi wild edibles that you allow to naturalise and can then forage at need. I've been adding to local hedgerows for years, you can plant in ponds, woodlands, wherever...as long as it's unobtrusive, this also benefits wildlife.
    I know for a fact I'm not the only person on this forum who has been improving the potential for foraging near their home.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  25. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    We are already living off grid & growing our own food. We also have a variety of vitamins. If you are in the wild, summer time you will find wild edibles, I suggest you collect as many of these as you can & dry them for storage for winter use. You can also make pemmican. I did do a little historical research on this some time ago, & you will find more info here: https://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/2011/04/on-meat-alone.html
    Keith.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  26. duke in wales

duke in wales Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Simple fact is you need fat in your diet. Vegans will suffer if it hits the fan. I like rabbit stew, plenty of veg and lots of diced smoked fatty bacon, yummy.

Keeping animals for food? Chickens are not that hard to look after, goats are simple to look after and you get milk, meat, cashmere wool and leather. A mate has a smallholding and makes cheese from the milk off his goats; its pretty good.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  27. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Like everyone was saying rabbits would be great for meat protein but not a great source of plentiful fat. Guinea pig I could see, I heard they're a delicacy in Peru and other SA countries. I learned that one time watching some reality show about "US Customs". They had these two 20 something year old guys about a package in their luggage. Turned out was smoked guinea pig, they blurred it out but it appeared to be a full pig split from end to end like you'd do for a spit and I think it said it's dried and smoked. The custom agent was like oh yeah that is a common food in Peru. Guess these guys were coming to visit family and were bringing a little taste of home.

Ducks and geese are great but can be a lot of inputs and not always quiet and will take almost half a year before they start producing eggs. Think I mentioned elsewhere on this site, an often overlooked bird is coturnix quail. From hatch to freezer camp in 6-7 weeks and also start laying eggs around the same time. they're bred to be kept in small crates so can pack them 4 to a 2x2 cage and stack the cages high. Can do all this somewhere like a garage, or shed or build a small aviary. You can feed them grass clippings, scraps, hay, etc. and the hens will pump out 1 egg 1 per day for about a year and a half. Yes small eggs and meat but fast growing and self replenishing if you manage it correctly.

I'm a believer in function stacking and I think if you went the route of rabbit and quail, you can design your system where you feed and rabbit pellets to the quail to pick thru to get nutrition from it plus process the waste into valuable compost for your garden and other edible plants.

I do think that it is important to have a milk source, especially if kids are involved. Where I'm at we have a lot of dairy farms so I think will have sources for a while but I think it'd be good to have a few goats more so than a milk cow. Cow's tend to be stupid and can have all sorts of health issues where as a goat is freakishly tough as nails and can eat anything (which means keeping a tight reign on them) which makes them very self sustaining. Park them out on the edge of the woods or a field and they will mow it down and turn those weeds into milk and meat. I'm not a huge fan of goat meat but I eat it and in SHTF it'll be the best thing I've ever tasted.

I see milk as a very critical item in post SHTF diets and I don't see people talk about it. Milk is a huge wealth of fat which is often a component lacking or difficult to provide in a survival scenario or subsistence diet. From the milk we get, well milk but then butter, cheeses, cream, yogurt, kefir etc... so like with cheese gives the ability to make it longer term store-able since milk will go bad pretty quick without refrigeration. Lack of refrigeration also brings up don't forget root cellars and spring houses to help preserve foods.